1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Class Systems.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kohjix, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kohjix

Kohjix Star Wrangler

Terraria had this mental understanding of who would be who, such as Mage, Tank, and Range... Followed by some custom builds like a DPS class, or a resource gathering class...
    How do you think Starbound will present those certain types of class systems? Do you think it will be based mainly on gun type? (Example: Tanks will have Shotguns/Rockets... DPS will have LMG/SMG builds...)
    How will you use this in game in terms with weaponry?
    Or... What would YOU be?

2. Bomb

Bomb Title Not Found

The guy that pops off a few cheap shots and slashes his opponent when it gets too close.

3. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

I'm just glad they have healing/supporting roles included.
    I love quoting from the developer Q&A logs:
    I hope you won't have to dedicate yourself too much to your 'role' though...

Psylockeyuki and Kohjix like this.
  4. Nithilus

Nithilus Big Damn Hero

Simple, Space pirate.

5. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Simple, the dude with all the items.

6. PuppyVolcano

PuppyVolcano Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would have thought making classes set in stone would ruin the wonderful experience of adventuring though space seeing all there is to see

7. Kohjix

Kohjix Star Wrangler

I agree... Nothing stat changing, just a free based mental role.

8. Kohjix

Kohjix Star Wrangler

Exactly, but if it IS free based, and not a selected role... What would you make yourself to be with the amount of weapon types that may or may not be implemented?

9. sayaks

sayaks Void-Bound Voyager

What i would be, is some sort of engineer/support class. Building stuff that can help others, like mechs, turrets healing thingys and whatever i can :D

10. Ryfyle

Ryfyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well What I like to be is range, What I end up becoming is an all-rounder Heavily dependent on consumables and gadgets to fight with. An example of this behavior in Terraria is my use of Spiky Balls to kill bosses, Clinging to ceilings and Harpoon spamming, and using rocket boots plus a melee weapon to fight ground and airborne enemies. I find myself just being very gadget oriented.

11. NeKoNeKo

NeKoNeKo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Finally, support class.

12. FlameCascade

FlameCascade Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm mainly going to be a medic in multiplayer (with some weapons on the side) and a tank in single player.

13. Kadmon

Kadmon Void-Bound Voyager

The Beatles said it best - Happiness is a warm gun. Put me down for the guy in heavy armor with the minigun.

14. Psylockeyuki

Psylockeyuki Void-Bound Voyager

This is now my favorite post because it told me there was healing.

I will definitely be a healer/tank or a healer/buffer (if they have that) that will focus a little bit on resource gathering (if there are mechanisms that may make it harder to get better materials (which I would love!)).

Aviakio likes this.
  15. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

meleeeee! hack and slash with my eyes closed :rofl:

16. Ecchiholic

Ecchiholic Cosmic Narwhal

Classes.. yeah, maybe you could choose your class at the beginning of the game and would have that class until you change it (for money or something of course).
    I'm not really into item based classes (everyone can be everything). For my class: I would be a tank or a healer.

17. DarkDXZ

DarkDXZ Phantasmal Quasar

I personally prefer item-based classes, especially how many items you can possibly get in Starbound.
    Classes as in RPGs are outdated and bad, man. It's time to move forward.

The best part about the game - it gives you options. You don't have to stick to one class...

Kohjix likes this.
  18. Kohjix

Kohjix Star Wrangler

Yes, that is what I was saying.

19. Tamarama

Tamarama Guest

I'd like to be an explorer/archeologist/xenopaleontologist.

In RPGs, I tend to love stealth/speech builds. I love sneaking around and exploring non-violently.

I'd prefer it if Starbound was skill- or item-based not class-based. It would fit the sandbox model better. You tend to get more tanks in skill-based systems, but it allows for creative builds for people who like to roleplay a little bit more with their characters (even intentionally hadicapping them in areas).

20. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Big Damn Hero

I hope it's not like a pick-a-class thing. I like that it's based of armor and stuff, allows for a wide variety of customization.(Terraria)

Kohjix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.