Race Clara'an

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by The Enlightened Grue, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Kint

Kint Star Wrangler

So does my mine, though it doesn't have any valuable minerals in it, according to my BiggyDrillyBot!:cry:

2. Bobot The Robot

Bobot The Robot Space Spelunker

Love the idea Grue! I love it when this much detail and though is put behind a suggestion!

Kint likes this.
  3. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

moving onto Jigsaw/Tetris/Cobbled version 2.
    :lolwut: time to blast the music.

also- apparently if I don't post in my thread for a bit, after seven or so posts past my last one, I won't be alerted to further posts until my next one >_>

must remember to implement daily checkage despite alerts.

4. Ianflow

Ianflow Big Damn Hero

Wondering if you are as good with music as you are with this art
    I am mainly wondering because I had a weird thought about what Clara'an settlements would have for background music

Along with that, I forgot, they are individual minded and have mostly full free will. Are their personalities diverse, or have common traits?
    Do they have an average IQ, or is it small ranged in terms of the same IQ as the most intelligent human?

5. The Enlightened Grue

They're personalities are indeed diverse, and as I'm rather irritated with working with so many shades of Clara'an at once- this post will also be showing off Jigsaw/Tetris/Cobbled version 1.
    pending reviews of its appearance, I may develop a history for him as an example of a "bad egg".

the only universal trait seen amongst Clara'an is that they will never, in the presence of other Races, discuss much about what goes on inside their factories. specifically, they avoid answering questions concerning Mental Deficiencies, as any Clara'an who fails the "Graduation" test is never openly discussed (potential for reveal of this info with Jigsaw/Tetris/Cobbled 1 short-history), and as Clara'an are only ever added to the "official census" after they graduate.
    Besides that universal trait, nothing is "common" amongst the Clara'an except that which tends to be most common in humans, as their creator was one.

The average IQ of a Clara'an can be anything reachable by a Human, although they are allowed to develop their IQ up to the "limit" if they so please. Despite this, they often give the impression of being much smarter due to the fact that, as non-organic beings, they have near-perfect memory-recall.

anyways, here's the madness that made me go for Version 2

[​IMG]

Yeah... it looked so crystal clear and "good" in my head... and then this happened.

Bobot The Robot likes this.
  6. Bobot The Robot

Ho ho ho! Oh man, bringing back the great memories! It's like a disco teka!

7. The Enlightened Grue

I think I went too far trying to make an NPC who actually looked as insane as it is insane

8. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

The only problem I can see with this race are the textures, you are using textures which have pixels much smaller than an in-game pixel. Other than that it's awesome.

9. Ianflow

Ianflow Big Damn Hero

That cobbled is amazing
    Maybe he is a depiction of 'corroded'?

10. The Enlightened Grue

[​IMG]

Being that I'm working on the Clara'an nearly every day, currently all art is to be considered "Concept Art" simply showing what the race could look like.
    If it does get in and the Devs decide "well, we'd like to color it differently to fit the rest of the game", I'll still be like "holy sh*t, I got something into the game".

Also, does anyone think that looks like the Clara'an is just around 5' tall- just got it into my head to check today.

no, there's actually something a bit... wrong with his color scheme.
    since you sick people actually like it, I'll write out a history at some point in the near future :p

11. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Hmm. Maybe a little taller to be 5' but yeah it's about there.

12. Ianflow

Ianflow Big Damn Hero

I think 5' tall would work well cor this race!

13. The Enlightened Grue

alright then- here's the status folks.

The Clara'an that looks like his color-pattern was made by Missingo corruption (Pokemon reference for people who don't know) isn't going to the "junk' folder, and I'm making a counter-part for him right now. Both will be featured in a "Short-Story" that will be coming up soon, however the "Corrupted" pattern will not be available for player use.
    While the counter-parts color is available to other Clara'an, he has his base-sprite edited in a way that I'm not sure will be made possible to players..

more coming soon :p

Tails7712 and Bobot The Robot like this.
  14. Bobot The Robot

Looking forward to it!

15. cool sprites :3

16. FlameCascade

FlameCascade Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh my god I love this. You, sir, are great at writing lore.

17. The Enlightened Grue

I try.
    hopefully I'll be churning out a new bit...
    I'd have it up already, but every time I look it over, I end up rewriting it for various reasons.
    got most of it hammered down though, so that's good..

18. The Enlightened Grue

alright then.
    status update for anyone still watching this scrap-pile thing...
    I realized I'm not going to satisfy myself with just pumping out short-stories the length of the one "Character Origin" that I've already released, so I'm doing things right.
    There is going to be a delay in further updates as I've gone and planned out a not-quite-so-short-story in my head entirely by accident. Make no mistake, its not going to be a novel, but I've up and lost control- its out of my hands now. Okay, technically its not, but in order to get this story out before my inspiration dies out, I'm cutting all work to patterns, paints, and sprites in general.
    If this works out, what people that do read my Walls of Text are going to be pleased.
    If not, then at least I tried.

EDIT :: This is going a lot better than I expected... at least from my point of view, but then again I'm the only one to have seen the work so far. Perhaps a teaser is in order?

Bobot The Robot likes this.
  19. The Enlightened Grue

1262548721787.jpg

Bumping for Edit in the post just above this one :V

20. The Enlightened Grue

alright, alright. you guys have broken me with your cruel silence :cry:

in all seriousness though, would I be better off putting up the bits of Short-Story as I finish each segment? (resulting in more updates, probably)
    or would I be better off holding off until I'm completely done?

I myself am leaning towards the "bit by bit" option, because I'd love to get some feedback...
    but in all honesty I'll leave it up to you guys :p