Chucklefish has no lefties.

Discussion in 'W:R General Discussion' started by TheRogon242, Jan 7, 2014.

1. TheRogon242

TheRogon242 Tentacle Wrangler

Being able to remap keys is important for many different reasons. Some times people have a weird European keyboard, or have a physical disability or even are in that 7 percentile of being left handed. Whatever the reason there is about 11 percent of the gaming community that would appreciate the ability to remap a keyboard. Outside programs like 'AutoHotKey' attempt to remap a keyboard but usually cannot handle multiple 'send' signals and usually cause your character to continue running in one direction despite the fact you are no longer touching the keys.

Wanderlust: Reborn, this game does allow for partial remapping which certainly helps those weird 'azerty' people. However, it does not allow one to remap the 'SHIFT' or 'SPACE' keys which it then uses often in the game.

Starbound. Keyboard rebinding is not really an optional feature. It is something that should be considered day one. I worry that the fact that it has taken so long to implement means that the default keys were hard coded into the program. What is worse was the Developer's suggestion to use an outside program (like AutoHotKey) rather than properly addressing the issue. It is hard to please everyone and the staff at Chucklefish have not done much to keep the 11% very satisfied.

Personally I have given up on Starbound until key mapping is in, AutoHotKey is not a proper solution. I wrote my 2 cents worth on Steam forums about this issue, got trolled by the 89% and blew it off until I just now tried the Wanferlust demo. So here I am trying to make some waves again, hoping to see some progress towards a solution.

Draconano likes this.
    • Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

So...is this thread about Wanderlust or Starbound? It needs to be moved, if it's the latter.

• Phyrosite

Phyrosite Phantasmal Quasar

Key rebinding is something that isnt easy to implement, so the fact that its not there yet is understandable

• Horizons Reach

Horizons Reach Void-Bound Voyager

Obviously the former. He only mentions starbound, but he explicitly states his concern is now on wanderlust. Or as he so eloquently put it, "wanferlust".

• Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Just making sure.

• Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Sorry, my bad, Jonesy. I swear I didn't just skim it!

• TheRogon242

'Wanderlust' shares the same issue as Starbound and it was what set me off to write this. That said it is truly about Chucklefish and their short shortsightedness. The comment "Key rebinding is something that isnt easy to implement" is very true 'if' you did not put it into your code at the start. Hence my comment about them 'hard coding' the key binds they use and how that is a mistake. Really I was pretty clear with everything I said please try not to glance at the key words then jump to a reply.

• asdfghjkl1234567890

asdfghjkl1234567890 Big Damn Hero

this is off topic but i'm left handed and i've always used a right handed mouse and have never had to remap the standard hotkeys for any games. how exactly do you guys remap your keys? o_Olol

GaijinSama likes this.
                  • Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

This thread's title LEFT ME CHUCKLING :V

DotBeta and Lost in Nowhere like this.
                    • TheRogon242

Personally I have always used the number pad and the mouse on the left side. I even use a left handed mouse. I have tried using the keyboard like the rest of the world and it feels like sitting backwards on a bicycle. With time I am sure I could relearn the layout but I started using computers back in 1986 and it has been a long time that way.

Really most people take for granted that there will be the ability to remap their setup and if there isn't then everyone needs to know it. For many people that 'need' it it is a deal breaker if remapping is not possible. So honestly I will continue to post about it (since I already purchased) in order to warn those that have not yet purchased either title in order to spare them the inconvenience.

• Leth

Leth Risk of Rain & Wanderlust

May I request that you do not lay blame onto Chucklefish for any issue you find in any of their satellite studios - Yeti Trunk, Robit Studios, Hopoo, Concerned Ape - since Chucklefish is the publisher of our games, not the developer? Also, our game should be completely playable for a left-handed player (since Space can be used instead of Enter - and should be due to its proximity to the movement keys). Shift+Space should be no more difficult for a left-handed person than a right handed, as well.

Still, regarding our controls, there are some missteps in Rebirth that we plan to address in Adventures. Please keep in mind that every 'little' feature in games require work. Sometimes, the most common feature (the option to rebind keys) can even be one that is a lot of work to produce; in other words, there is no correlation between how popular a feature is and how easy it is to implement. In particular, and depending on how your game is synchronized, multiplayer games can be extremely difficult to re-design around key-mapping.

With all that said, it's something that we're focused on improving. Hopefully we'll be able to satisfy everyone the second time around. =D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
                        • TheRogon242

@Leth, I appreciate your reply and your announcement that you do wish to resolve this particular issue. Aside from that the publisher is to blame, they have that master list of milestones and if key binding is not on it then it is their fault. Kinda figured you as the developer might want to shift the blame on that anyway since they haven't funded you to make this feature yet. As far as the 'SPACE' or 'SHIFT' being within reach, in my opinion as the end-user it is far from viable without removing my left hand from the mouse.

Anyhow, glad to hear you are focused on improving this feature.

J Pace
                          Lead LD @ MMO Magic

Leth likes this.
                          • Leth

Leth Risk of Rain & Wanderlust

The more complicated the situation, the harder it is to pinpoint 'fault'.

Let me just leave you with this; everybody I've had the pleasure of meeting/working with through Chucklefish, Hopoo, Yeti Trunk (Jason), etc., has a great passion for what they do and is trying the best they can to create a good product - certainly not going out of their way to frustrate fans of their games.

Just be patient with us and be supportive. We'll get "there" if we are able; I promise you.

• This is a lie! I'm a lefty. I'm just used to using computers right-y. :(
                              In any case, what Leth said is true-- we're not going out of our way to frustrate anyone, and reconfiguring keybindings is indeed on our list of things to implement.

garpu and Leth like this.
                              • Horizons Reach

Horizons Reach Void-Bound Voyager

I love being ambidextrous.

• Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

Me too.. I'll bet it is frustrating though.