Choosing game ID number

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elenna101, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Anyone know how to start a game with a specific ID number on PC? I know there's mods to do it, but I'm not currently using any mods and downloading/installing SMAPI just to do this one thing seems like overkill.
    I imagine it should be possible to edit the game file?

EDIT: Do I just create a new game and then change the ID number in the name of the save file and in the one place it appears inside the file (the one called [Farmer's Name]_[ID Number])? That seems like it should work?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Almost... You need to rename the folder and the file, then edit the file and search for "unique". There are two. You want to change the one that's not the unique multiplayer number. If I recall correctly the one you need to change is called <UniqueIDForThisGame>

One More Day likes this.
      • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Beat me to it. I was just trying to find an old post of yours that I used recently to do this exact thing

EDIT: found it. Post #8 in this thread
        https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/if-anyone-cares-to-play-the-lotto.150580/

BentFX likes this.
        • Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks! I forgot it was also in the folder name. I think you can also search for the (old) ID number, since it only shows up once in the file and it seems to indeed be called UniqueIDForThisGame, but searching for the variable name is probably a better idea to make absolutely sure you get the right one.

EDIT: Welp guess who played through 2.5 days on the wrong ID before realizing that I forgot to actually save the change to the game ID... Oh well, time to actually start now! :p

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
          • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

The reason I search for the variable name is so that I've only got to have the new id number in the clipboard. The name never changes, and the old id number can be completely ignored when editing and renaming.