1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Characters gone and Player files empty

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by a-llama-has-a-problem, May 30, 2019.

1. Hi! I made an account on the forum just so I could ask this because all else has failed. I played Starbound forever ago, I had a character who I'd been using since 2015, probably earlier. A little Glitch character with blue eyes with 150+ hours on her worlds and ship. Last time I recall definitely playing my character was about a year ago.
    Anyway, I got nostalgic and decided to check in and see my ship, only to find a completely blank character select screen. I checked on Chucklefish and they said to go into properties/local files/browse local files/storage/player and change the endings of the files or something.

Only, I opened the folder and there's two files in there. One called 'metadata' and the other called 'statistics'. The only thing in metadata is {"order":[]} and the only thing in 'statistics' is SBVJ01 Statistics achievements stats . That's it. Other than that, it's completely blank.

Bare in mind my knowledge of files and/or code stops at 'baby boomer Karen asking her kids for help sending an email' level, so I have no idea what this is, or where my player files are.
    I'm not too upset since I kinda emotionally left Starbound a few years ago but I'm still sad that all my work is gone and I can't even go visit the castles I fixed up or my ship full of statues I spent hours farming mobs to get.
    Basically, I wanna know if there's any way to save it, or if time has just f*cked my files over.

Any help appreciated. Xxx

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please provide your starbound.log located in the storage folder of your starbound install.

3. There are two files named starbound.log, and both have different text in them. I tried to attach either of them but I got this error notif on the forum page itself;
    'The following error occurred:
    The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.'
    I tried opening the files with different programs, too, but attaching still resulted in the same message. It also occurs when attempting to attach from different devices. I could try screenshotting the info and attaching it as an image, if that would also work for you.

4. Iris Blanche

The file probably appears as only "starbound" in your storage folder. This file should work when attaching it. :nuruhappy:

5. Ah, that worked! :D It's attached.

Attached Files:

6. Iris Blanche

The log doesnt show any playerfiles that cant be loaded. Do you have by chance still a folder called "Giraffe_storage"? If yes your character might be in there but will be most likely incompatible since giraffe_storage is from the old early access state.

The player and shipworld files are always stored inside the player folder inside the storage folder and are named by their UID. Everything universe-related (planets, outpost progress, space stations, etc) is stored inside the universe folder.

7. SillyLeaf

SillyLeaf Aquatic Astronaut

Just a hypothesis, have you changed your computer?
    Starbound save files aren't saved in SteamCloud, in other words, you will lose your save files if you change or format your computer.

8. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

My experience when I upgraded the Hard Drive...had to copy my char from this profile pic...(There goes my 600 hrs on a single char)