1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Character lost on crash, save files still exist but filled with nothing

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by TehCoopaTroopa, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehCoopaTroopa

TehCoopaTroopa Space Hobo

As the title implies, I was playing starbound when my power cut. My character was deleted, but the metadata, player data, and ship data were still present, simply empty. I'm fine with losing the character in beta, but this is quite an important issue, so I posted it here.

2. Elysia

Elysia Big Damn Hero

I had a similar problem. My computer froze (completely unrelated to the game). I had to do a manual shut down, and when I came back, my ship was wiped clean (to new character settings), and the world I was on had refreshed like I had never touched it. Every other world I had been on was the same as I had left it, and my character's data (inventory, techs, codex, ship upgrades) was saved.

3. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

It's understandable, since it was something sudden in the middle of saving.

Keep in mind the saving and compatibility system is still early at the moment, and so there isn't any real built in backups, or special auto-saves or anything.

Stuff like this probably WILL be implemented, but right now it's so early in the beta character loss is already expected from compatibility between patched, so it's not something they are probably particularly worried about. when save games become more permanent I would expect improvements.

4. Rumjaku

Rumjaku Orbital Explorer

I've been lucky so far to have only experienced minor issues, things like crafted items not showing in inventory. I have never had a crash either.
    So I've left my game running and went AFK 3 significant times. Each time something horrible has happened, worsening progressively.

1st time: I was killed by a mob. 2nd time: I starved to death. And 3rd time, can you guess what happened? GAME CRASH!

No big deal, right? I log come on to play the next day and no saved games. ;O

One thing to note that I just realized. I have the game through Steam and run it through there. Steam has already downloaded 500mb's of the game randomly. Well it did a DL of 753.4 mb before I tried to play and discovered no saves..... F.U. Steam!

5. bORGE

bORGE Space Hobo

bump

6. calxllum

calxllum Space Hobo

I had this same problem, but the character data is still there.
    None of the files are empty. I've been in a couple of betas and had stuff wiped. But getting up, launching starbound reading the changelog and looking forward to the new content, then seeing no characters. Well, I was pretty shattered. :p

But yeah, there is still data in the files.

7. rocketcarlo

rocketcarlo Poptop Tamer

Quick question. Is it possible to save a game in progress, or one has to start from the ship every time?

8. Gandalf the Glasses

Gandalf the Glasses Aquatic Astronaut

Quick question (show mercy for this one), but where are the character files? In an attempt to save my characters, I backed up my files. Now, I want to put them back in, but I can't find them. Any help?

9. TehCoopaTroopa

TehCoopaTroopa Space Hobo

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\player
    You need to put at least the player and metadata files with the same ID in there. If you have the ship one, that one also.

You have to spawn at the ship, yeah.

10. Gandalf the Glasses

Thanks, worked out :)

11. Gandalf the Glasses

Wow, just found out something interesting
    If you open your old character files from Beta 1.0, and change the very first code that states
    "SBPV1" to "SBPV1.1" you can regain your old characters. Hope this helps :)

Winterwind likes this.
  12. Winterwind

Winterwind Astral Cartographer

ll be darned if this works (at work atm). Looks like the devs are merely forcing people to start over... which is the right thing to do. The point of beta is to have people test current builds, and running around with outdated chars could have repercussions, with them reporting bugs that shouldn't have existed otherwise. Nice find though, I'll be trying this for the luls.

13. Damnationz

Damnationz Void-Bound Voyager

It happened to me. But I think my files got corrupted. My player file is empty. Guess I got to start all over again.

14. DeeVicarious

DeeVicarious Space Spelunker

This has happened to me with the last two characters I've made. I'm having computer lockups (unrelated to starbound) and a few times after restarting, my characters are gone and the PLAYER file is blank.

15. Lunar Shrubbery

Lunar Shrubbery Title Not Found

Yeah. I lost power when I was playing. When I got back on the character was gone, yet all my files were still there. Is there anything I can do with the files? Or are they corrupt, or alike.

16. Trowzers

Trowzers Existential Complex

Oh! This just happened to me. I had a power outage and when I reloaded the game the character screen had no characters.
    There still seems to be data in the player files though... any chance I can get these back?

Here is a picture of the save files I have in my player folder (I know this is the right folder as this is the local data location Steam points to when I click that button):
    [​IMG]
    I will keep these files just in case someone wants to look and see what corrupted them. It seems a bit extreme that you could lose your whole game from a one second power blip, especially when there are no Steam cloud backups.

17. darkone253

darkone253 Aquatic Astronaut

This has happened to me as well. Both times my power went out (lots of snow here) and when I came back the files are there (corrupted) but the game shows no characters. Very frustrating.

18. Gorlan

Gorlan Void-Bound Voyager

Bumping this, since i just lost my main, a full T10 char. That's what happens if you think your charakter is save from wipes :D
    Same (or at least similar) Problem as mentioned above.
    Game froze, i had to shut down and restart the computer manually and the whole char is gone, save files existing but corrupted.

19. darkone253

darkone253 Aquatic Astronaut

I have found that only the metadata.TMP file seems to have the correct data within. The rest do not display any data in Notepad++, unlike regular save files, and instead show all NULLs.

20. Cromage

Cromage Aquatic Astronaut

Just posting to mention I had something very similar happen to me. Lost power during the ice storm and when power returned I found that the character file had been replaced with all NULL characters.

My shipworld file was intact (there wasn't much in there), but my world had "reset" to its status before I came.

Think I'm going to try and find a save editor now to get the rest of my stuff back.

Solzucht likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.