1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Resolved Character files not loading a character

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Purian, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purian

Purian Space Hobo

So I opened my Starbound after playing it the previous day to be greeted by four blank character slots. Panicking over my 50+ hour save and assuming I'd accidentally deleted, I looked through the files to find that my character save was still there... I think. The files highlighted in blue are what I assume are my character. The un-circled file was a test to see if I had found the right folder. As of now, the poor new guy is the only person in my characters list when I load the game. Is there any way to restore my character? After so much time, I'd be devastated to lose him. Screenshot_1.png

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please attach a copy of your starbound.log

~ Iris ~

3. Purian

Purian Space Hobo

There are five of them. None of which are uploadable in their current state, and I don't want to tamper with them unless necessary. Screenshot_2.png

4. Iris Blanche

It's the file named "starbound" (file extensions are hidden on your machine) The .log.1-5 are backups of older logs but i need the actual one (the one without shown extension in your case :) )

~ Iris ~

5. Purian

Purian Space Hobo

Alright, that makes sense.

Attached Files:

6. Iris Blanche

Could you provide the player file as well? (it is possible that you have to put it into a zip-file)

~ Iris ~

7. Kulsius

Kulsius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd say, copy whole folder (for backup), delete PLAYER file (you see that by type, i guess) and rename BAK1 to PLAYER filetype. In case anything goes wrong, you still have backup.

edit: Nevermind me, Iris is here xD

8. Purian

Purian Space Hobo

Here's the entire player folder. The test character I created is the one beginning with "a", all the other files are belonging to my original, inaccessible character.

Attached Files:

9. Almaghast

Almaghast Space Hobo

I'm in the same situation as of 30 minutes ago

10. Iris Blanche

@Purian
    it seems that there were items in your hotbar which you threw in the trash slot resulting in storing them wrong in the player file. I attached a fixed version of your player file.

@Almaghast
    Provide me your starbound.log and playerfile :)

~ Iris ~

Attached Files:

11. Kulsius

Soo... It should be noted NOT to trash away items from hotbar? This sound like serious gamebreaking bug to me :(

12. Iris Blanche

I can only assume that this was the cause because i removed the lines from the player file and then the character showed up.

~ Iris ~

13. Kulsius

You doing that with notepad or there is some sort of special app? :saywhat:

14. Iris Blanche

I used the dump_versioned_json to convert the player file into a json file. Then i edited it with notepad++ (with json plugin for syntax validation). After i finished editing i used make_versioned_json to convert the json file back to the player file. ^-^
    Both tools (dump and make) are located in the win32 folder. Linux and osx folders have them as well.

~ Iris ~

15. Purian

Purian Space Hobo

Iris, you're a goddamn saint. My character is 100% back and working.

16. Almaghast

Almaghast Space Hobo

That is the original player file, i tried something you suggested to someone else about fixing the meta data and it worked for me. My logs here if it helps you pin down a bug, otherwise I'm all set. Thanks for having our back, Iris!

Attached Files:

17. Iris Blanche

Your log seems fine. According to your playerfile you encountered the same bug like purian did. I attached a fixed version just in case ^^

~ Iris ~

Attached Files:

18. Almaghast

Almaghast Space Hobo

Thanks!

19. Maikik

Maikik Void-Bound Voyager

How did you fix the files? I think I'm having the same issue.

20. Iris Blanche

If you don't know how json works and/or don't know the syntax it's probably not a good idea to touch the file and better attach it so i can fix it.
    If you know what you're doing then search for "location" until you are in the hotbar part. There you may find { "trash" } or something like this. Replace it with null.

~ Iris ~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.