1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Character erased as art of magic

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by archerel, Dec 9, 2013.

?

Can you make it come back?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2014.
  1. Yes we can

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. No, we're sorry...

52 vote(s)
    88.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cayote

Cayote Aquatic Astronaut

Don't get me wrong, I don't care for the whiners at all. I think it's their fault for not reading into the game propperly it being an early acces title. yet all the complaints can be easily dismissed by just adding a simple line into the warning stating data will be wiped. it's not difficult (I think)

Idiocracy likes this.
  2. Idiocracy

Idiocracy Poptop Tamer

Im not sure I get where you're going? Why shouldn't they post it on steam? I love this game, and I can tell there's a lot of good stuff to be added, but I also would have liked some heads up about the character wipes before I got too invested in a character, some people enjoy starting over, but personally it just bums me out. This whole thing isn't about accommodating the whiners so they can have it their way, its about removing any negative feedback, and i just feel that amending the steam article would be the easiest way to do that

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    InfiniteRemnant likes this.
  3. Idiocracy

Idiocracy Poptop Tamer

I mean if you think about it its for the good of the game, because now theres all these mental patients taking the piss and talking trash. Everyone hates the whinners, but its better to try to avoid feeding them than trying to fend them off over the internet. To sum everything up, most people who buy from steam wont know about character wipes right away, some people wont mind and will understand, others will be retarded and go mental, thats just how everything is going now

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    InfiniteRemnant likes this.
  4. Black--snow

Black--snow Cosmic Narwhal

The Internet my friends.... Such a wonderful place... Just like school... :zzz:

Idiocracy likes this.
  5. JAFC5000

JAFC5000 Seal Broken

I've played multiple Betas and sorry, but "BETA" doesn't mean "BROKEN" and anyone who says otherwise is on Chucklefish's nuts. Same thing happened when GTA Online had a terrible launch. People complained. Then people complained about those complaining. I find it funny that I'm being called a child because Starbound's Beta (which wasn't free...) is literally unplayable. Also, if Chucklefish were SOOO clear about this game breaking bug like many of you claim, how come they didn't go out of their way to post a notification or even a bullet point in the product description? Developers nowadays want to charge money for unfinished games, that's fine. I just won't be participating after this experience.

6. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

A beta is an unfinished version of an in-development game. It goes without saying that issues and bugs will happen so yes, beta does mean broken. Get over it.

And the thing is, the beta was free. It was a bonus for pre-ordering the game. That's was early access is! It is early access to the WIP builds of a game, so you can help the devs along while watching the game evolve and wait for the final product that you pre-ordered.

Again and again and again I say: If you don't want to deal with the bugs in beta, don't! Wait for the later stages or the final game.

Instead of pitching a fit and trying to blame everyone but yourself for your own mistake, simmer down, go back to CoD or something, and wait for the finished game like you would normally.

InfiniteRemnant and Idiocracy like this.
  7. Idiocracy

Idiocracy Poptop Tamer

Its not broken, not even close, I got 15 hours of game play already, all of which I enjoyed, plus more content is being constantly added and fixes are being made, sooo broken? no lol not even close, its a WIP, but I wouldnt call a few bugs the same thing as broken

8. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

Admittedly, it is busted on some operating systems right now. However...That's to be expected, since lower-end optimization hasn't happened yet. I haven't gotten to play at all but at least I'm trying to understand things from the devs' points of view. They're only human, you know? The game is a little broken, but entirely fixable. And, because this is beta, it will be fixed. That's the whole point of beta and it's breaking my heart just how many people refuse to try and understand that. If they want the game fixed quicker, maybe instead of whinging on the forums they should file some legit bug reports, yeah? :p

9. JAFC5000

JAFC5000 Seal Broken

Fair enough. I'll withhold judgement until a more complete version is released. Just felt like a little more of a warning on steam WOULD have been nice. How would I file a bug report?

10. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

Crash reports.
    Bug reports.

Though I do not have a link, a dev already said on Twitter that they plan on adding more information to the Steam page.

11. NeoDeltaI

NeoDeltaI Tentacle Wrangler

As many have already explained, you prepaid for a game that is not yet released, and were given the --->OPTION<--- to help test the current beta version, which despite your previous experiences can most definitely be broken at any time. This isn't a matter of being "on Chucklefish's nuts" (seriously?). It's the maturity to understand what you're buying. Not to mention the maturity to realize that a beta, and your participation in it, is to the benefit of the product you invested $15 in, while complaining out of ignorance is to it's detriment.

Reno likes this.
  12. InfiniteRemnant

InfiniteRemnant Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd beg to differ on that one, mine crashes on every second respawn, but I was kinda expecting that level of glitchyness coming into this so i don't really care too much. and given i'm on a five year old laptop that might just be my machine anyway.

Bit off topic, but i gotta say, Reno, Idiocracy, you two are WAY better at phrasing this stuff diplomatically than I am. You've both made a lot of good points.

Reno likes this.
  13. Idiocracy

Idiocracy Poptop Tamer

Oh well after just knocking out a few essays for my sociology final lol I'd like to think i've got phrasing down. But on another note I have yet to have any problems with mine so i assumed that it worked fine for everyone but mybad

14. InfiniteRemnant

InfiniteRemnant Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've gotten repeated crashes during respawn (seems to have stopped earlier today, YAY!), been trapped in my ship by teleporter malfunctions, trapped on the surface by teleporter malfunctions, and the occasional corrupted save or character wipe. That's about it so far. But like I said, I was expecting it to be unstable. Besides everything I've run into has already been reported here by someone else so there's little point to me bringing it up most of the time, as given it's already been reported by someone, it's safe to assume fixing it is already on the to-do list.

15. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

this topic is way way off topic at this point, if you have problem with crashing, post them in the crash topic in the stickies.
    If it's an issue other than characters disappearing during the update, make a new topic.

This thread should probably be left to die.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    NeoDeltaI likes this.
  16. CreeperLab

CreeperLab Aquatic Astronaut

This is BS, i would've waited for the full release of the game. This is why I cheat. When I play legit, my character always get deleted. I'm not going to play until they fix this crap. I really like the idea of this game, as it inspires my own plan for development. I would expect from Chucklefish to improve on Terraria's faults. But I was very wrong. At least now in Terraria they fixed the character wipes.

I found a way to restore characters! As of Enraged Koala, there are backups, and just remove the .bak1 and replace the .player file. You lose your planet however.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.