Modding Help Changing the new game intro text

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Acerbicon, Sep 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Acerbicon

Acerbicon Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm looking to change what Grandpa says during the new game intro. I'm hoping to fully finish switching the dialogue to make him Dad instead for @Jessicaksch. I've found the image files for it and have been looking all over for the dialogue, though I haven't had any luck. Is it possible to change this or is it hardcoded? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jessicaksch likes this.
    • foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes, it's hardcoded. You could use zipy's Patch Project to change it. It's 'GrandpaStory' in Minigames.

Androxilogin likes this.
      • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

That is not required, a SMAPI mod would suffice, since the dialogue is only prepared once, you can just detect the moment this happens and override it with your own using a SMAPI mod.

• foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

lol..I knew that would get you to say something.

• Acerbicon

Thank you both! I appreciate both of your answers and I'll look into them. Thanks again.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Stardew's codebase is big, I cannot always take the time to look where certain actions are performed and if they are things that SMAPI lets us modify, so I only respond when I do know.

Androxilogin and foghorn like this.
              • Acerbicon

Okay, so I'm getting into attempting to build this up in VS and I think I have the basic setup for a SMAPI mod done and have referenced StardewValley and StardewModdingAPI. I've been searching through the guides I can find and am not sure what to do next. I've been looking through the different assembly... things and I'm completely lost ^^;

I have a little knowledge of C++ and Java but none when it comes to C#. Does anyone have any links to guides or maybe just general information that might be able to help me out? I'd really appreciate any info.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You are welcome to take a look at my github where I update my source every so often, so you can see how my mods do what they do.
                  It is how I learned to mod in C# :)

Acerbicon likes this.