1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue CF, please fix your optimization/framerate issues.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Gensou Ichida, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Gensou Ichida

Gensou Ichida Scruffy Nerf-Herder

so, new patch is out. would be happy about it if i could actually play the new content. there doesn't seem to be any performance issues addressed in the new patch, and i'm getting a bit buggery about it.

already said a lot about my issues in the past but here's a post i made on the subreddit some time back about some of these problems.

if it helps, some of my graphical card info can be seen at this thread.

i'm still not trying to be hateful about any of this. i just want to get lost in the universe of a game i've waited some two years for, and have had older builds of it run fine on my computer in the past.

please. :(

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Your ATI Radeon HD 4200 meet the minimum requirements. What cpu do you have? And how much ram?

~ Iris ~

3. Gensou Ichida

Gensou Ichida Scruffy Nerf-Herder

specs are

videocard: ATI Radeon HD 4200
    video RAM: 256 MB
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 645 Processor
    CPU speed: 3.1 GHz
    RAM: 8GB

i can run stuff like skyrim p well on its lowest graphical settings.

4. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Hm the processor should be able to run starbound. I'm unsure about the videocard. The vram is sufficient but i'm unsure about the speed (internal 400 MHz).
    Starbound 1.0 changed a lot of mechanics and it seems also some rendering stuff. A lot of people (especially the ones with notebooks and/or integrated graphics) are suffering from low fps. I assume it's maybe a hardware restriction but i can't say it for sure.

~ Iris ~

Gensou Ichida likes this.
  5. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

Would be nice if they'd optimize this game. Performance feels like it's bordering acceptable and I have this:
    Videocard: AMD Radeon R9 290x (4 gb memory)
    CPU: Intel i7-4820k, 8 cpu's @ 3.70 ghz
    RAM: 16 gb

Overall the game runs decently, not great but decent, but once I enter my home planet and my base... oooooh boy. The game almost grinds to a halt.

6. QuantumProjects

QuantumProjects Star Wrangler

People who's been experiencing framerate issues could try these two options, if possible:

1. Whitelist Starbound and Steam in your antivirus suit. Depending on your antivirus configurations, it may be trying to scan everything your game tries to load into memory, and that can cause performance issues.

2. Disable User Account Control in Windows. It may negatively affect performance when it tries to scan what your applications are doing.

I've had problems before with games and some of them were solved by doing these two steps. It might help those with framerate issues.

7. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

I especially like the big 'lag' spike when I fall down the chasm in the final level, not giving me the opportunity to jump before hitting the ground. Instant death.
    (This same thing also happens when I move from underground to the surface of a planet.)
    Well, there's a reason why I disabled pixel loss, and this is it.

8. Cat_Fuzz

Cat_Fuzz Star Wrangler

I've been having similar issues. My comp is bordering on becoming a relic, but it ran Starbound as smooth as butter before 1.1. Even 1.0 ran well, but this latest patch is grinding things to a halt. Is there a memory issue here?