1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Center of the planet.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Gustaf Lindberg, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gustaf Lindberg

Gustaf Lindberg Subatomic Cosmonaut

what if its just a very small squid? that would be fun!:D

2. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

There may be dinosaurs.

3. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

My planet would be a geode
    getting to the core would look amazing

4. jajangmien

jajangmien Over 9000!!!

i would like to see you get to the center of a planet only to realize the planet is one giant living creature. almost something dr. who -ish

5. EscapeTheDream

EscapeTheDream Aquatic Astronaut

Does anyone else wonder what would happen if you do reach the center of a planet? Do you just float around because gravity would act all weird?

EDIT: Just found this article here which explains that ^ question.

6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi Zeromus

Here probably like this:
    [​IMG]

Thiel likes this.
  7. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

I want a core made of pure GOLD because I'm greedy! I've heard the trading course is at 1 gold bar = 275 Pixels!

8. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

A realistic core surrounded by magma would be boring, hopefully not all planets do that.

9. DoomFire

DoomFire Existential Complex

Middle? you just keep going until you reach the other side!

10. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

I want my planet to be filled with with a ball pit. WHY? Cuz it's cool.

Ghostar and Gustaf Lindberg like this.
  11. Gustaf Lindberg

Gustaf Lindberg Subatomic Cosmonaut

yes, but ofcourse there must be something in the middle, right?:D

12. Froggert

Froggert Aquatic Astronaut

Silly people. Jelly and Jam are two different toppings. um... Here you go I guess http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/05/the-difference-between-jelly-and-jam/

On topic: Ice! (The surface is covered in lava?)

BlueLuigi and Breather like this.
  13. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi Zeromus

Thiel and Froggert like this.
  14. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Keep down the spam now guys, On topic: I would want my planet... to be hollow! A dead desolated Ghost world with no core.

Froggert and BlueLuigi like this.
  15. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

The tentacle planet would contain a harem of schoolgirls, all the of victims the tentacles :3
    either that or a 40lbs box of rape :rofl: (maybe 40ton though, in form of a tentacle boss)

Also all this planet core talk made me wondering about one thing, will you really be able to reach the core or just get close to it?
    Because for a 2d game it's relatively easy to make a warp around planet so you could infinitely walk around over the surface like on a ball, but if you're able to reach the core you'd need tapered blocks because the closer you are to the core, there are either less of them next to each other or they'd have to become thinner.
    Which would probably be the problem and reason why we may not get into the core (although I'd love to) but I'm staying realistic here : /
    The smaller problem that would come after that would be what would happen if you cross the center of the core which would turn you upside down or something like that...

And that self destruction core would be epic as I'd make a Samus like character right after starting anyways, (decided that after seeing the blonde girl from the lighting demo) and that'd make it twice amazing (unless I'd find out my home planet's one...)
    Which pokes me out another question: will we be able to manipulate the terrain like in Terraria even without settling on the planet? That was bugging me since I've read the part with terraforming your homeplanet.
    Terraforming could mean what we do in Terraria from the beginning or it could mean changing more than just the landscape, which I is what I guess and hope, like temperature, pressure(?), background etc.

I keep shooting myself into questions >.<
    If I recall it correctly in another thread it was said that the life of the planet was generated and not hardcoded (well not in the plain way) and now I'm wondering if there may even be the chance it could generate Metroids. God I'd want one as a pet ._. I always wanted one since I've seen the hatchling in the SNES Metroid

Anyways, finally back to topic: maybe a small black hole at the center? would make an awesome trashdump ^^
    how about blue inverted gravity lava? :O it's not flowing down but up? better not let it escape... (aaarg, next question found... what if you go higher and higher, will you enter space or hit a border?)
    tentacle lava!
    or owls, now that'd be cute :3 lot'sa (OvO) sitting on a few subterrean to the core adjusted trees, looking at you while you mess with the core, I'd take them with me
    a pirate base would be also interesting, maybe an abandoned one, after some gen experiments went... wait that sounds familiar ^^ would still be cool

TL;DR: scroll up and read it :3

16. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I honestly hope...
    That a cavern were all the space hobos camp out will be there :D
    ~ John

17. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

At the center of a planet is... another planet!
    Planetception!

Breather likes this.
  18. BloodyRain2k

uhm yeah, we already had that ANTI

I also prefered the portal idea over it

19. imperishable

imperishable Pangalactic Porcupine

Rho confirmed a hell biome on IRC. But that could have been for a world type, and not center of a planet like in terraria.

20. BloodyRain2k

Reminds me of another thing I was wondering about, while there can be mostly desert and completely frozen planets will earth like planets be able to have snowy mountains, jungles and deserts on them? Would be pretty boring if it'd be one huge planet set in one biome theme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.