1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Can't play starbound: Black Screen with sound only

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by vFurlan, Aug 4, 2017.

1. vFurlan

vFurlan Space Hobo

Hello there !

I bought a new computer recently and when I went to play on it I got only a black screen, but the game keeps running. I can hear the sound of the menu music and the mouse hovering over the buttons.

[​IMG]

8 GB RAM DDR3
    proc: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4310U CPU @ 2.00GHz
    VGA: Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller

• All the drivers are up to date
    • The system are up to date
    • I'm trying to play through steam

Attached Files:

2. Xafir

Xafir Space Hobo

I'm also having the same issue. I don't understand why.

3. General Anubis

General Anubis Void-Bound Voyager

Same exact issue here, and after extensive Googling, it appears that many people have had this problem, and none of them have been given an answer to it.
    Description of problem:
    • Game launches, screen shows all black, with a flash of a white square in the center that quickly disappears. Chucklefish laugh is heard, but no logo shown, then main menu music is heard, but no graphics (still black screen).
    • While it is running with just the black screen, if I alt-tab and refocus on Starbound, the graphics update (but then are still frozen on whatever image is current)
    • If you accidentally manage to move the mouse over a selection item, you can hear the audio expected for mousing over a menu item.

Steps taken:
    • Tried renaming "opengl32sw.dll" to "opengl32.dll" - this makes the chucklefish logo appear along with the loading icon and the main menu, but the FPS is at about 2 frames and is ultimately unplayable.
    • Updated my graphics drivers to the latest
    • Uninstalled/reinstalled many, many times
    • Removed all player and mod data entirely (and reinstalled again for good measure), so I'm running on a 100% fresh install
    • Tried the Registry "Layers" / Compatibility fix (for the record, I'm a systems engineer, I know how to troubleshoot and find solutions, thus far no solution I can think of or find has worked)
    System Info:
    Dell XPS Laptop
    RAM: 8GB
    CPU: Intel i7-5500U 2 Core @ 2.4Ghz
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Meh, it's a laptop... it has played Starbound in the past, though it was long ago)

See log attached. I closed the game immediately upon seeing a black screen when the Chucklefish logo should have appeared.

Can we please get an answer on this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. VDNicky

VDNicky Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having a similar problem in 64 bit mode, but 32 bit seems to work fine.

5. Kaarosu

Kaarosu Space Hobo

Same problem here. PLEASE SOME HELP FROM THE STAFF?

6. killerklownkate

killerklownkate Space Hobo

Hello,

I am having the same issues. During Dec. of 2016 I was able to play this game fine. Now when I run it, there is just a black screen. I can hear the Chuckle fish laugh and after a brief pause the opening music. I followed the advise from https://steamcommunity.com/app/311690/discussions/1/371918937283617067/ but no if it helped so far. I tried uninstalling, verifying the integrity of game files through Steam, reinstalling C++ 2010 and "set launch options - windowed. When I look in my C driver I'm not even seeing Eden Games in any of the folders. People also speak of removing the videos. When I do to steamapps>common>starbound the videos aren't there.

Trying to play with a friend and desperately seeking help. Thank you!