1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Can't plant fruit trees, anywhere?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Salamander Sundaes, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Salamander Sundaes

Salamander Sundaes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, this is weird! When I try to plant a fruit tree, I get one of two sound effects:

1) One that sounds kind of like a bubble repeatedly popping (kind of like the sound that plays when you pick up a bunch of items in the mines)!

2) The error/'no' sound that the game makes

It doesn't matter where I try to plant it. If I try to plant the tree in the middle of an empty field, it does this. Which is... super weird! I tried tilling the ground and planting, which is how I usually plant trees in my other saves - it results in the bubble noise, and the ground abruptly not being tilled.

This is magical, and bizarre. If it helps any, I'm in summer on a rainy day. I will continue to attempt to plant trees, and report the weirdness.

• LayGamer

LayGamer Space Hobo

I am having a similar issue as well. I have the right number of spaces and there is nothing around where the tree would go. However, I can plant in some areas just not others.

I am on a Mac playing the game through Steam.

Pic attached

Edit: Attached a second pic of me planting in the surrounding area (similar spacing). Still no go on this one square.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
      • TheTearer

TheTearer Phantasmal Quasar

I'm getting this bug as well, just since the 1.2 update. I can't plant fruit trees anywhere on my farm or in the greenhouse, when I try i get a noise that combines a bubble popping and a swishing noise. Very weird. And this is a map I've used before with no problem (fruit tress everywhere), no new mods, nothing has changed except the update.

• TheTearer

Okay, having researched this error and finding a lot of message boards that suggest it's a mod, I've been troubleshooting different mods that might touch the fruit trees. It finally occurred to me to look at the SMAPI window (duh), and this is what happens from one attempt to place a fruit sapling:

An error occured in the base update loop: Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: Error loading "Data\fruitTrees". File contains Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Textures2D but trying to load as System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary'2[System.Int32,System.String].
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader[T]<ContentTyeReader reader, Object existingInstance>
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.REadObject[T]<>
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadAsset[T]<>
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T]<String assetName, Action'1 recordDisposableObject>
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T]<String assetName>
          at StardewValley.LocalizedContentManager.Load[T]<String assetName>
          at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SContentManager.Load[T]<String assetName> in D:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\StardewModdingAPI\Framework\SContentManager.cs:line127
          at StardewValley.TerrainFeatures.FruitTree.loadData<Int32 saplingIndex>
          at StardewValley.TerrainFeatures.FruitTree..ctor<Int32 saplingIndex>
          at StardewValley.Object.placementAction<GameLocation location, Int32 x, Int32 y, Farmer who>
          at StardewValley.Utility.tryToPlaceItem<GameLocation location, Item item, Int32 x, Int32 y>
          at StardewValley.Game1.pressUseToolButton<>
          at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateControlInput<GameTime time>
          at StardewValley.Game1.Update<GameTime gameTime>
          at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SGame.Update<GameTime gameTime> in D:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\StardewModdingAPI\Framework\SGame.cs:line 250​

This section repeated six times for the one attempt at placement.

Just based on this, I think the problem is that the game is searching for the info on fruit trees in the Terrain Features folder, but the info is actually in the Tile Sheets folder. I checked. It was before the update, and it was after the update as well. I know for sure because I have the nifty mod that reshapes the fruit trees into a less boxy shape, so I made so to rebackup the files after the update before I reinstalled the mod (and yes, I tried uninstalling the mod and restoring the backup, no fix).

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Well according to your log; you're mostly right. It looks like you placed the retexture mod into the Data folder, but any sprite changes go into the "Content/Tilesheets/" folder.
            There's actually 2 different 'fruitTrees.xnb' files. The one under "Content/Data" gives the game the info of what sprite each tree uses, along with what it produces, it's season, and money.
            The Tilesheet one is how it looks. And, would be the one to replace when installing your Tree reshaper.

Merge, and replace this with your game's folder. And, it should fix your issue. It's an umodded copy of the file you need.
            Or, just have Steam reverify all your files. Though if you have Steam do it; it'll remove any other XNB mods you might be using.

Attached Files:

• TheTearer

That did indeed fix it. I don't know how I managed to do that, since I was very careful to back things up. Oh well. Thank you very much!

• kookyinajar

kookyinajar Space Hobo

Your file crashed my game.

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

The file I shared is the game's fruitTree data file for TheTearer who needed it for their specific error.
                  If it crashed your game, you installed it incorrectly; because it's just a default game file.

I'd recommend posting your own thread/error log with whatever issue you're encountering.

• VixeriaS

VixeriaS Aquatic Astronaut

I am having a somewhat similar issue - I have checked, double checked, even triple checked my xnb mods and I'm struggling. So, here's my issue:

I can't plant fruit trees anywhere. But there are no sounds. I added new trees to my game, and I decided to implement them permanently, which means I merged them into my .xnb files. There are three files that deal with Fruit Trees. The first is one that lists the fruit trees that is in the "Data" folder. This tells you how much each costs, what season it grows in, what it produces, and a number that I can't identify. (Would be super helpful if someone could tell me what that number is - each tree is numbered 0-5, but try as I might, I can't figure out where those locations are or what, specifically, that means.) The second file is located in the "Maps" folder titled "springobjects.xnb", this file is a physical image of the tree sapling and the fruit it produces, among other items. The third file is a file that is located in the "Tilesheets" folder and labeled "fruitTrees.xnb", and this file is the physical picture of each individual fruit tree's stages through the seasons.

I have all of my stuff perfectly synced. Everything is linked, I've got them all corresponding to each other and everything, I even tested them out in game, everything is labeled correctly and shows up in the item spawner and everything. Problem is, I can't get them to plant anywhere no matter what I change. I suspect it has something to do with two specific files: "fruitTrees.xnb" in the "Maps" folder and the "fruitTrees.xnb" in the "Tilesheets" folder. If it helps, I'll link all three files here. You can unpack them and see what I'm talking about if you like. I'm just struggling to get them to plant. If someone could help me out, that'd be super awesome.

The zip folder corresponds with their respective folders, just click-n-drag them in place and it'll replace the files. Make sure you make a backup just in case, though all it does is add more fruit trees. All the original trees are not affected by these in any way.

Attached Files: