1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Can't open game

Discussion in 'Support' started by katiesockpuppet, Jun 5, 2016.

1. katiesockpuppet

katiesockpuppet Void-Bound Voyager

I've purchased the game through steam, and I've logged about 13 hours of playtime (I know it's not a lot), but when I went to go and open the game last night it wouldn't work.

When I say it wouldn't work I mean I'll click play, the game will launch, but then I'm greeted with a black screen and ambient bird sounds... but that's it. I can't click on anything, no matter how long I wait it won't load... nothing I seem to do helps.

I've removed mods, uninstalled and reinstalled the game and made sure all my drivers are up to date.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Example through SMAPI

upload_2016-6-5_14-57-7.png

Through Steam
    upload_2016-6-5_14-57-52.png

• Snurtsnurgle

Snurtsnurgle Star Wrangler

I was poking around the steam forums, and I ran into a guide that might help with this issue. I remembered seeing this thread in the support section when I came across it.

It was missing some details that confused me at first, so I am just going to reword it with more detail. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=655202837

You will have to have show hidden files and folders enabled to get to this directory. If you have done that already just skip this. http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/show-hidden-files-windows/

Put %appdata% into your search.

Go to roaming

Go to Stardew valley

Under there you will find a file called "startup_preferences". Just delete the file or move it somewhere else if you want to back it up.

Start up the game and it will create another "startup_preferences" file. It should reset it and run normally.

Here is the directory for the folder location.
      C:\Users\"your computer user"\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley

I hope this fixes your issue. ^^