1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Notice CAN'T LAUNCH STARBOUND? Read this!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mollygos, Jul 23, 2016.

1. oprime007

oprime007 Lucky Number 13

Chucklefish really needs to get the ball rolling on an actual fix because this is a serious slap in the face to everyone who supported them through the years of Beta and Early access development. And they dare say that 1.0 release was a Success on the Playstarbound.com home page, could they slap us in the face any harder or more often?!

Distantone likes this.
  2. Halon

Halon Phantasmal Quasar

No, you just have to bypass the launcher and steam launcher entirely and launch the game directly.
    You will have to go into SteamApps>Common>Starbound and poke about a bit until you find the actual game itself. Launch directly from there when you find it.

3. deadninja072204

deadninja072204 Space Spelunker

yes it works in windows 10

4. Andras1989

Andras1989 Space Hobo

The files are posted on the first page of this thread.

These steps were used for Windows 7. Thought I am sure you can find all the files under Windows 8.1. Check your folders. Ensure you know where you will download the newest service packs. They are both like 12 mb each with approx. 2-5 minutes install time each.

Overall. Windows thinks the older versions (the ones sent with 1.0) is acceptable and it wouldn't install over them. So you need to uninstall the versions that were sent by chuckfish and install the Microsoft ones via their link they used.
    --- Post updated ---
    Hey hey,

When you right click on the x 36 and x 86 files, select Run as Administrator. Enter your password. And it will run it as admin strictly for that process. Follow each step using this technique as running your entire computer as an admin is risky being networked to the outside world.

Its not too hard. Download the latest packages from the links on the first page of this thread. Follow the steps and remember to reboot. The game runs fine afterwards.

5. mlomax95

mlomax95 Space Hobo

Done everything that's been said but now i get this error, help please if able to.

Attached Files:

6. UpperWater71508

UpperWater71508 Space Hobo

When i load Starbound it is goes to a black screen, but i can still click on things and hear music. Even the steam overly is behind it. It worked fine before 1.0! How can I fix this?

7. LemonLeman

LemonLeman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've downloaded Visual C++ and I'm still getting a dll error. Anyone know how I can fix this?

8. Frostphonic

Frostphonic Void-Bound Voyager

For anyone who's getting "fatal error blah" or "fatal exception caught blah" in windows, try starting your computer as explained here : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
    I can't remember where I read about it (but thanks for the tip man!), I must've tried every single thing on the internet so far. This is what worked for me, after days of unsuccessful attempts. Now I'm not gonna go through the trouble of troubleshooting unless I get paid for this ahah.
    When in clean boot, Starbound works just fine and doesn't crash anymore. I guess that'll have to do until we get a proper fix. Hope this will help someone!

Have a nice day & stuff.

9. Habasi

Habasi Void-Bound Voyager

Not working (Steam version). The OP does't help: reinstalled - failed, trying to upgrade C++ - failed cuz it seems I have a newer version already. That's a severe screw-up, guys. We do love you and stuff, but that's quite a disappointment. Please fix ASAP.

10. Frostphonic

Make sure you did uninstall your current version, as the files Chucklefish linked us are older than the ones you should have today. As said above, you need to uninstall the vcredist exes in your game files (not repair), restart computer, install the version you downloaded, restart computer again and then launch the game. Everything should be fine.. unless you've already done all that and I'm clearly not being useful here!

Cheers.

11. LemonLeman

Do I uninstall ALL visual C++ versions, or just the one I'm downloading? And are the other ones necessary?
    Also, what are the vcredist .exes?

12. Frostphonic

Vcredist.exes are just the executables to install/uninstall the various Visual C++ packages, it's the same thing (so to speak). To find the ones you need to uninstall, go to Steam save -> SteamApps -> common -> Starbound -> _commonRedist (or something like that, I'm on my phone right now so I probably do not have the correct folder name sorry). There you should find 2 vcredist.exe. For each one of them, hit "uninstall". Restart. Proceed to install the vcredist you have downloaded on this page. Restart.
    Stick to the plan, do not uninstall all versions, just the ones in your game files.

13. LemonLeman

I followed your instructions and reinstalled each vc_redist.exe and restarted, but I'm still getting a DLL error. Is there something I'm missing? Do the installers need to be in the _CommonRedist folder?

14. Frostphonic

Well I guess they should be, as you need the game to know it must use these specific files in order to fix the error. That seems logical to me but I don't know for sure, I'm no pro!

15. Jkaart

Jkaart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

After doing some digging around on my computer and managing to manually download the service pack installer for KB2919355, which is the SP everyone keeps referring to, it turns out I already have said service pack on my computer and even so the C++ installers fail to install.
    Checked from the control panel to see that the x64 does actually show up in installed programs, though api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is still missing, according to the error message I get from trying to launch Starbound.

Interesting thing I've noticed is that after fiddling around a bit, I now get the same error from trying to manually launch SB from the steam folders when I try to launch it directly from steam, rather than just telling me nothing as it was before.

16. TomdaGoat

TomdaGoat Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]
    Oh yeah sure I'd have to agree with that, right guys?

SpectralPuppy, Lil' Mini and Ranakel like this.
  17. Phantom-Wolf

Phantom-Wolf Big Damn Hero

Since it worked for 62k people, should be.

Anyway, I feel that most people should really try the basics, have your Windows up-to-date with every update available. Uninstall both visual C++, restart PC, install both visual, restart. Also check for GPU and sound drivers just in case.

Mine started working after a few Windows Update. Win 7 SP1 x64 version.
    If your Windows Update isn't working, refer to my post here.

18. blessedmars63

blessedmars63 Yeah, You!

Where do you find those files?

19. shaybells

shaybells Void-Bound Voyager

THANK YOU! I updated my computer (it had 90 some updates, oops) and now my starbound runs no problem!

20. Phantom-Wolf

Phantom-Wolf Big Damn Hero

Glad it helped someone. :DD