1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Notice CAN'T LAUNCH STARBOUND? Read this!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mollygos, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

I have a friend who has tried both above things, and is getting an OpenGL error of some sort, I can post a picture of it here if you'd like.

2. Malekal

Malekal Void-Bound Voyager

SAme issue here,

but with windows XP

3. oprime007

oprime007 Lucky Number 13

Excuse me but I just checked my re download for Starbound from steam and the store page says it need 3-4 GB of storage space and when I downloaded it , it only downloads 786.3 MB. Why is that?

4. TIFFOLIC

TIFFOLIC Seal Broken

lol me too, not working for 10.8.5

5. ErebusAmauro

ErebusAmauro Astral Cartographer

In fact, these captures are from Win XP. Hope they'll fix it.
    --- Post updated ---
    Unstable version crashes same way

Edit: I found the solution for my crash problem: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/fatal-error-illegal-instruction-encountered.118239/

SO, it's not a problem with SB at all, but with Steam too. Also I noticed that the game now runs NOTABLY WORSE (the fps rate make it practically unplayable for me) than in the pre 1.0 version which seems ridiculous. Definitely I don't know what the Hell I can do. I hoped the 1.0 were the better and smother version, but instead, I only had problems and worse performance.
    I will continue visiting the forum. Maybe in some point someone could appoint a solution, but in this moment I am really really disillusioned.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  6. Dharengo

Dharengo Space Hobo

My story sounds even crazier than those mentioned before. I was excited when the game finally came out so I bought it. I play on OSX 10.11.5. It played fine on friday, and it played fine on saturday, but today, on sunday, all I get is a bouncing app icon for like a minute before the game just gives up and quits.

The hell is going on here?

7. banknus

banknus Void-Bound Voyager

i have read a log after it closed itself and then i deletet a file(contents.pak) after that it worked again

8. sanydas

sanydas Void-Bound Voyager

just go to your library find your Starbound right-click properties general set launch options and delete -novid or any shit you see written inside and game works ! only i still cant make server to work ....

9. Dharengo

Dharengo Space Hobo

What log? And where is this file?

10. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

I deleted the entire directory, then I uninstalled Starbound in steam and installed it again. Didn't work. I then tried with deleting the local game data through steam and then reinstall it, didn't work either.

If it helps, I've got a Windows 7, 64bit laptop.

Edit1: Followed what the others had done about starting the game up from the directory, it gave the error that was described here, the problem now though is that I can't either repair or reinstall the program. It installs all the way but then it just stops and gives me "an unidentified error"

Edit2: Instead of reinstalling the required program, I just reinstalled the game as it would fix the program. The program came back but it's still giving same error.

Edit3: When the installation of the program arrived at "processing: Windows7 MSU x64" I discovered this: [0F34:04F0][2016-07-24T18:43:42]e000: Error 0x80240017: Failed to execute MSU package.
    Could perhaps be something...?

Edit4: I've been able to start Starbound through the directory after I updated windows through the control panel, aswell as I reinstalled the C++ visual programs. However, the game itself is showing 1 frame every third seconds, needless to say, it's unplayable. And I can't still launch the game through steam.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  11. Dharengo

Dharengo Space Hobo

Okay, I somehow managed to fix mine. I don't exactly which of my actions fixed everything, buuuuut!

Basically what I did was close steam entirely, and run the client manually. And then it worked.

And then I closed the client, opened Steam again, and ran the client from Steam.

Granted, I managed to somehow delete my save in the process, but progress is progress.

12. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

So what you're saying is that I should go offline on steam and then try and start it up...?

I did that before, but that didn't work either. :speechless:

13. Phantom-Wolf

Phantom-Wolf Big Damn Hero

Not really sure what happened but it seems to be working now, running from steam and from folder (x64 version). Need to play more to be sure, though.

14. Henrique Ethur

Henrique Ethur Space Hobo

help me with this error fatal error starbound.png

15. desuh

desuh Space Hobo

Im pissed of because of this. I bought this game 3 years ago, and I really wanted to play official version of this game, but no. Cant even open the game because of bags and error's. I didn't paid for fucking information about how to fix this, but i paid for game that is working on my computer. I hope you will fix this as soon as possible, and apologise for this problem to all of us who cant play.

naqsha likes this.
  16. ErebusAmauro

ErebusAmauro Astral Cartographer

Had the same problem. Posted solution in this same page (at least for me an for other person). Close Steam. Then, try to run it from the game folder.

17. Henrique Ethur

Henrique Ethur Space Hobo

thank you so much bro

18. Scythel

Scythel Void-Bound Voyager

None of the fixes worked for me and I still can't play. I've practically stayed up since the game's release and have been nonstop attempting to get it working but MADDENINGLY I'm still having the same issue. I don't want any more fixes for my computer, my computer isn't the problem, the game was running perfectly before and now it isn't.

19. hexx77x

hexx77x Void-Bound Voyager

what a disastrous launch, after YEARS of beta... PAID beta... dont launch games on a friday if you arent going to have staff working the weekend to support it.

desuh and Boshed like this.
  20. kacpac

kacpac Aquatic Astronaut

It seems that a Directx version of Starbound 1.0 would solve a lot of issues with openGL 2.0

Azidoazide Azide likes this.