1. Lose your pre-order key? Try using Humble's key resender. Also, please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/help/

Notice CAN'T LAUNCH STARBOUND? Read this!

Discussion in 'Support' started by mollygos, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche The void Forum Moderator

You used another mod which had this mod as a dependency. When adding mods to your game make sure to install their dependencies too. Either they're linked in the mod description or the dependencies are directly added at the steam workshop.

~ Iris ~

2. anastiel

anastiel Yeah, You!

Yes, I've been reading this.

3. Black Rose

Black Rose Aquatic Astronaut

I have a PC running Linux openSUSE Leap 42.3, which means that I had to get Wine to run Starbound because there were no .rpm files at https://software.opensuse.org/search?q=. However, the installation was successful and I was able to run Starbound without any errors showing up as soon as I double-clicked it. The problem appeared 30 seconds after I ran Starbound, and it showed me the following text:

Fatal Exception caught: (ApplicationException)
    Couldn't initialize SDL Sound: Audio target 'pulse' not available
    (And a bunch of strange code-like text I didn't understand, full of "][" right after that)

How to fix this error?

4. Partridge12

Partridge12 Space Hobo

Hi, I have the opengl 2.0 error. I have a GTX 1060 with updated drivers running opengl 4.6... I cannot make any sense of why this would cause an error relating to opengl at all. Am I missing something?

5. Kryger

Kryger Intergalactic Tourist

Launching the game, through Steam, briefly seem to flash a window which immediately closes. Happens every time, have never seen any game screens. No mods, pristine installation.

Error from log:
    Fatal Fatal Error: Floating Point Exception Encountered!
    Code:
    [11:27:21.220] [Info] Root: Loaded ImageMetadataDatabase in 0 seconds
    [11:27:21.355] [Error] Fatal Error: Floating Point Exception Encountered!
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star10fatalErrorEPKcb+0x43) [0xaaa7e3]
    /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x37140) [0x7faf51061140]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star4Time21monotonicMillisecondsEv+0x49) [0xa9fc09]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star17AssetTextureGroup11loadTextureERKNS_6StringE+0x3b9) [0x13d6689]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star10GuiContext11textureSizeERKNS_6StringE+0x1f) [0x141fa8f]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star4Pane5setBGERKNS_6StringES3_S3_+0x124) [0x1442c54]

System:
    Ubuntu 17.10 x64
    Geforce GTX 970 with Nvidia binary driver 390.12 (also tried the Nouveau driver, same error in log).
    i5-2500K CPU (3.30GHz)
    8GB RAM

Tried a few things:
    Uninstalled and cleaned dirs and did a reinstall. Error in logs remained the same.
    Tried "Starbound - Unstable", with same result.
    Install disk have over a TB free.
    Starbound server also won't start, but there are no errors in the logs - last line is
    Code:
    [11:11:38.034] [Info] Root: Loaded MaterialDatabase in 0.316 seconds
    See attached error log.

Any advice of things to try or workarounds would greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

6. Sparkyfirecheif

Sparkyfirecheif Space Hobo

I've recently come to having the game as well, and long story short. It will not launch.

7. Sharktail100

Sharktail100 Space Hobo

it no work

WHY?!?!?!??!

8. lazarus78

lazarus78 The End of Time

Because it no like you!!!!

That is literally the most helpful reply possible given the lack of information you gave.

9. Kryger

No response to me either - not even an acknowledgement. At least he got a response ;)

10. ItsDaPervert

ItsDaPervert Poptop Tamer

@Kryger As far as my C++ skills go it seems like the engine has issues calculating stuff. A floating point exception usually happens when a program is told to divide something by zero which of course is impossible.
    It might as well be related to the fact that Starbound requires stuff like the .NET and C++ frameworks on Windows and Linux doesn´t have soemthing alike (or the game doesn´t recognize it as such). My experience with Linux OSs is very limited but maybe a tool like WINE may help you. Here´s a link to that: https://www.winehq.org/

11. Kryger

Thanks man!

The game supports Linux (see Steam page) - that is why I bought it.

I'll need to get Steam for Windows installed under Wine and then try to install it. Then I am not sure how well it will run in Wine... If I could get a refund and wait until they fix it, that would be great, but I can't seem to get ANY response from Chuclefish :(

12. I like tom riddle

I like tom riddle Void-Bound Voyager

Hello. I deleted the Starbound files and reinstalled it via Steam and it still doesnt work. It says RUNNING when I try to start it, it just jumps to SYNC and doesnt start at all. Pls Help I would really like to play the game again.

13. ItsDaPervert

ItsDaPervert Poptop Tamer

You could try and look into how these code libraries (if that´s even a word) work on Ubuntu but that may be quite time consuming.
    And regarding WINE, your gear seems decent enough to run Starbound through it. We used to play Terraria with 4 people on a server hosted by a guy with a much less powerful computer using WINE on some Linux system, too, and it ran as it should if this proof enough for you.

14. Kryger

My PC runs other titles just fine, I do think it should handle Starbound. Not sure where to start with the libs - I have done some checks regarding libc, but without some help I don't know what to try...

Regarding Wine, as it is also a Linux game, there are no recent guides, and the game does not even appear in the WineHQ database.

Thanks again for the response, at lease someone does!

15. thebestusername

thebestusername Space Hobo

My starbound technically launches. What it does is that it launches but it won't pop-up in my taskbar for me to play it, BUT READ THIS: Task Manager shows me that starbound is running.