1. Lose your pre-order key? Try using Humble's key resender. Also, please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/help/
  2. Hey Guest! Our new game Wargroove has released! Check out the forums or wiki for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Notice CAN'T LAUNCH STARBOUND? Read this!

Discussion in 'Support' started by mollygos, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Icoria

Icoria Void-Bound Voyager

I'm just gonna leave it at "This games sucks" and is not worth the money I spent on it. wth this many people play the game and there is no working solution. What a f******* scam. I am really disappointed with this game. I have uninstalled COUNTLESS times, tried EVERYTHING. I am a freaking computer scientist as a major and even I am getting extremely frustrated with this. I am so done :zzz:

2. Kfiat

Kfiat Master Chief

3. Travis Nakasato

Travis Nakasato Intergalactic Tourist

I use Windows 10. I recently tried opening starbound and it started as usual: The Chucklefish logo and it's signature laugh. However, immediately after, the game closed. No error message, no nothing. I re-installed Visual +++2015, but it didn't do much. (I think.) I tried deleting the starbound folder, but that resulted in security issues where I was rejected despite having permissions. I investigated by trying to delete the folders in the starbound folder and I was met with the same security messages. Then, I clicked a folder. I got an error message and it appears that whatever was in the folder no longer exists. I also tried editing the security info on the folders, but it said I need Read permissions, which I didn't have for some reason. I hope someone else has a solution to this, as my problem seems unique. The folders that have security issues are as follows: 2015(fixed? the folder disappeared...), docs, tile, win64, _CommonRedist, and vcredist.

4. Travis Nakasato

Travis Nakasato Intergalactic Tourist

same

5. ThePlays

ThePlays Intergalactic Tourist

Hey won't work with disabled Steam-Overlay. (Using OS X)
    What should i do?

6. jedrockin3

jedrockin3 Void-Bound Voyager

It just stops responding even before the chucklefish logo

7. UltimateCatTree

UltimateCatTree Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG] I've been having the issue where the window pops up but doesnt load the chucklefish logo and goes straight into unresponsive.

[​IMG]

8. Wickerson

Wickerson Aquatic Astronaut

This is a HUGE problem!

I have the same problem, it started when I tried to join a friend's game who had mods that i didn't. Now Starbound crashes/freezes at the Chucklefish splash screen.

I can sometimes get around it by restarting my computer, does this work for anyone else?

EDIT:
    So getting Starbound to work is a real pain, but (sometimes) I can get it to work by following these steps:

1. restart computer
    2. launch steam
    3. close steam
    4. launch steam again
    5. launch Starbound
    6. cross fingers

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  9. Kfiat

Kfiat Master Chief

Starbound is working!!!!

10. Kyle123

Kyle123 Space Hobo

help im haveing a startup crash and i really want to play starbound here is a a thing https://pastebin.com/q8vgBDGN also to contact me the best way go to my steam its Leafeon_Kyle me and my friend need help

please i WANT TO PLAYYYY

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2017
  11. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Master-Pudding Forum Moderator

The quest id "fuquest_clothingfabricator" is defined twice. So deffo a modding issue on your side. Most likely Frackin Universe so i'd ask in the modding discussion for support here.

Also avoid double posting. I merged your posts.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

12. Kyle123

Kyle123 Space Hobo

is their a way i can reboot my game so it is like when i first bought it? i need to know how because me and my friend are haveing the same problem:unsure:

Edit:never mind i found out why it was a out dated mod that was makeing me crash thanks anyway

but i need to do the game all over again sadly

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  13. anastiel

anastiel Orbital Explorer

I'm in trouble, my game does not start with steam, it opens the black screen and closes, if I open the directory
    C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Starbound \ win64 does it work anyone know why it does not work with steam? I'm not using mods
    have solution?
    my starbound.config
    https://gist.github.com/anastiel/277510606923dddc2f8b63d3018a09d0
    my starbound.log
    https://gist.github.com/anastiel/6d926a5dc945d4a700e7c4ab2f26172f
    and other error
    https://gist.github.com/anastiel/854b293dddbb85cd5930fd652058effa

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  14. anastiel

15. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Master-Pudding Forum Moderator

You used another mod which had this mod as a dependency. When adding mods to your game make sure to install their dependencies too. Either they're linked in the mod description or the dependencies are directly added at the steam workshop.

~ Iris ~

16. anastiel

Yes, I've been reading this.

17. Black Rose

Black Rose Void-Bound Voyager

I have a PC running Linux openSUSE Leap 42.3, which means that I had to get Wine to run Starbound because there were no .rpm files at https://software.opensuse.org/search?q=. However, the installation was successful and I was able to run Starbound without any errors showing up as soon as I double-clicked it. The problem appeared 30 seconds after I ran Starbound, and it showed me the following text:

Fatal Exception caught: (ApplicationException)
    Couldn't initialize SDL Sound: Audio target 'pulse' not available
    (And a bunch of strange code-like text I didn't understand, full of "][" right after that)

How to fix this error?

18. Partridge12

Partridge12 Space Hobo

Hi, I have the opengl 2.0 error. I have a GTX 1060 with updated drivers running opengl 4.6... I cannot make any sense of why this would cause an error relating to opengl at all. Am I missing something?

19. Kryger

Kryger Intergalactic Tourist

Launching the game, through Steam, briefly seem to flash a window which immediately closes. Happens every time, have never seen any game screens. No mods, pristine installation.

Error from log:
    Fatal Fatal Error: Floating Point Exception Encountered!
    Code:
    [11:27:21.220] [Info] Root: Loaded ImageMetadataDatabase in 0 seconds
    [11:27:21.355] [Error] Fatal Error: Floating Point Exception Encountered!
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star10fatalErrorEPKcb+0x43) [0xaaa7e3]
    /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x37140) [0x7faf51061140]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star4Time21monotonicMillisecondsEv+0x49) [0xa9fc09]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star17AssetTextureGroup11loadTextureERKNS_6StringE+0x3b9) [0x13d6689]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star10GuiContext11textureSizeERKNS_6StringE+0x1f) [0x141fa8f]
    ./starbound(_ZN4Star4Pane5setBGERKNS_6StringES3_S3_+0x124) [0x1442c54]

System:
    Ubuntu 17.10 x64
    Geforce GTX 970 with Nvidia binary driver 390.12 (also tried the Nouveau driver, same error in log).
    i5-2500K CPU (3.30GHz)
    8GB RAM

Tried a few things:
    Uninstalled and cleaned dirs and did a reinstall. Error in logs remained the same.
    Tried "Starbound - Unstable", with same result.
    Install disk have over a TB free.
    Starbound server also won't start, but there are no errors in the logs - last line is
    Code:
    [11:11:38.034] [Info] Root: Loaded MaterialDatabase in 0.316 seconds
    See attached error log.

Any advice of things to try or workarounds would greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

20. Sparkyfirecheif

Sparkyfirecheif Space Hobo

I've recently come to having the game as well, and long story short. It will not launch.