1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Notice CAN'T LAUNCH STARBOUND? Read this!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mollygos, Jul 23, 2016.

1. The God Of Death

The God Of Death Poptop Tamer

i thought your name was malygos =))

2. Emetophobic

Emetophobic Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well for those who don't really want to reinstall their games and still have a ./assets/unpacked folder, try deleting that unpacked folder, the folder contains like the folder says unpacked images of the game that are used at interface rendering, items in-game, blocks textures etc.. from the packed.pak file (which is probably the largest file of the installation, ~800Mb), the folder had a last updated date from the day I last played the beta (Around end of January or this year).

Although, this solution might not work for anyone, but I'm convinced old assets prior the official release might be why the game will crash at startup, at least that's what the game error callstack said to me when I tried to launch the .exe directly from it's win64 folder as admin.

Caused by:
    (IOException) : Invalid file handle in dirList of '..\assets\unpacked\someotherfolder', error is 3

[​IMG]

Removing the unpacked folder have made my game starting up perfectly again.

Jerry Noeda'an likes this.
  3. krab421

krab421 Void-Bound Voyager

updated to 1.0.3 doesnt work
    The program cant start because MSVCP140.dll is missing

please tell me what to do or fix the goddamn thing
    ps after some time and fruittless fixes peaple will abandon the game

4. joseanjim

joseanjim Space Hobo

I just bought the game via Steam and doesn't work (no error msg I just click PLAY and nothing happens). I use Linux Mint 18 32bit. TY in advance...

5. ErebusAmauro

ErebusAmauro Astral Cartographer

Starbound doesn't support Linux 32 bits from the 1.0 release. Before there was 2 folders for Linux, one for 32 bits and another one for 64 bits. In the 1.0 release, they removed the 32 bits folder, and now, Starbound on linux only works on 64 bits.
    It would be nice they would support again Linux 32 bits :(

6. Jerry Noeda'an

Jerry Noeda'an Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Did this, suddenly game works. Just hit the main menu, gonna create a test character and see how far it goes. I had the issue where starting the game via steam didn't even bring a window up, and launching from exe brought a window up briefly before closing with no report. Thanks, man! You really helped a lot.

7. thelastdwarf

thelastdwarf Space Hobo

Hi! I solved only format my machine and upgrade to Win 7 Service Pack 1.

Greetings :D

8. DeadsoulDX

DeadsoulDX Intergalactic Tourist

i need help it would be cool if you guys helped quick because i love this game and i want to play it [​IMG]

9. jonny11890

jonny11890 Void-Bound Voyager

ALRIGHT EVERYONE I HAVE SOME GOOD NEWS!!
    for anyone that has any sort of windows extension programs (like object desktop stuff), that will interfere with starbound and give you the CTD with the access violation on startup!
    I don't know which specifically but I uninstalled a bunch of stuff from object desktop and now it launches and plays just fine! It's worth noting that this applies to a lot of programs that mess with themes in Win10. Themes themselves don't seem to cause issues but things like windowblinds, shadowfx and multiplicity from stardock seem to be the culprits. If you want, I can nail it down but it was discussed in another forum that things which mirror or extend desktops seem to be causing issues.

10. sdrowkcaB

sdrowkcaB Void-Bound Voyager

What is happening here????
    I was playing fine yesterday and when I tried starting today 9/1/16 the game WILL NOT LOAD!
    I get just past the fish and BLAM, back to desktop.
    I unsubscribed to some mods, tried again, no go.
    I unsubscribed to ALL mods (I had a lot). Still no go.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled Starbound. No go.
    I uninstalled Starbound and Steam. Reinstalled. No go!
    I am not running anything else (object deskstop, etc.).
    I check the text log and find this at the end...
    [Info] Application: shutdown...
    [18:18:47.141] [Info] Root: Shutting down Root
    [18:18:47.142] [Info] Application: Destroying SDL Window
    [18:18:47.148] [Info] Application: stopped gracefully

I don't want to STOP GRACEFULLY! I want to play my game!

WTF?

11. sdrowkcaB

sdrowkcaB Void-Bound Voyager

okay... after several deep breaths and a drink I discovered I missed a couple mods.
    After properly removing ALL mods successful launch. Slowly added all mods back and...
    still working.
    Watdafug?

12. Cris21823

Cris21823 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, i hope devs re-add Direct-X support back soon, cause if they don't i guess ima just stop playing. I already finished the game alot, i really like it but be stuck on the same thing for ever sucks and the lastest version i can play is Glad Giraffe. Why i has no OpenGl 2.0 ;-; Crappy computer

naqsha likes this.
  13. Aloyss

Aloyss Lucky Number 13

How do i Fix this? SomeBody Help!

Attached Files:

14. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

What video card do you have?

~ Iris ~

15. Bellshazzar

Bellshazzar Orbital Explorer

Hello, My Starbound game is no longer working after trying to install some mods, I got rid the mods, I reinstalled the game multiple times, I checked the integrity of the game multiple times, steam says everything is fine but it most definitely is not, I get past the chucklefish then it loads for a long time, gives me a black screen and just shuts down, I would really like to play the game but I have no idea what to do, can anyone help me??

16. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please attach the full log located in your storage directory. It's named starbound.log (will show up as "starbound" when you don't have file extensions shown). There are also more logs (.1-.5). These are logs from the sessions before. If you didn't had start the game after the error i don't need them. Also provide your full specs.

~ Iris ~

17. Rebuster

Rebuster Void-Bound Voyager

@Aloyss:
    get a new graphics card that supports openGL 2.0!
    if your card supports openGL 2.0 then update your graphics drivers

18. naqsha

naqsha Void-Bound Voyager

that is also my problem. But they won't make it.

19. DeadlyRaven

DeadlyRaven Space Hobo

just bought game, trying to launch it with steam, starts to launch then stops without an error. Tried both your suggestions, nothing helps so that I can launch it normally. will launch on 32 no problem would like to play it at a 64.
    what should I do?

20. Aloyss

Aloyss Lucky Number 13

processor?
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHZ 2.27GHZ