1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Cannot start server or use multiplayer

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Morgs, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

I've not made an exception, sounds strange to need one if we already managed to connect once though.

I'm using wireless. :)

2. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

That explain's why your having such a hard time. Virgin HATES wireless users and its portforwarding techniques. It gives you a different IPv4 each time dependent on what is already connected. Daft I know. Its inability to recognise and remember devices is such a pain and ultimately the routers main flaw.
    If you have an ethernet cable, Plug that in, and use that. Note the IPv4 and set the rules again for that.

I have the same issues trying to start a server from my girlfriends laptop. Wireless connectivity seems to ignore all forms of Port forwarding, An issue I have brought up with Virgin on many occasion but seem to constantly retrieve the same abyssally bad, generic reply that they are looking into the problem.

3. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Ahh, yeah that all makes sense.. I'm sadly not able to connect a cable up.

Would it work if I made several port forwards with different IPv4s? So .1 .2 etc

4. Bucketlamp

Bucketlamp Giant Laser Beams

Hey there, I'm going to try to help you from square one if you like. I ran into a few issues myself and quickly sorted them out. It'll be simpler if I don't read through all this and just ask you a few trouble shooting questions:

1.What port did you forward? Default?
    2.Is your computer on a static IP?
    3.No one else can connect or only YOU can't connect?
    EDIT: By your computer I mean the hosting computer.

5. Loxy

You can find all the answer to those questions by simply reading the thread. Morgs has had this issue for over a week now and I believe we have finally come to some settlement with the problem at hand.

@Morgs

That could possibly work, Given Virgin medias annoying stance with its routers though. I wouldn't bother and would probably just buy yourself a cheap Ethernet cable. (You can find them in the Poundshop, I take it your from the UK and such) and go from there. Putting yourself onto a static IP would erase all of the concurrent issues you are facing.

6. Bucketlamp

Well I just wanted a simple yes or no response, since it could be as simple as one of those. I did a quick context search and didn't find anything about having a static IP. Thus it sounded like it might be a contributing factor. Also I was under the impression virgin media restricted the kind of modem you could get from them, not the router. That being said, most of the options seem to be the very VERY finicky two-in-one models.

Edit: Another Possibility: If you're trying to connect to yourself, you generally cannot connect via your IP from google/what is my IP. Use 192.168.0.X (X is for whatever you set your static as)

7. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Thank you for replying Bucket, but I believe the problem has finally been pointed out now. :)

By connect an Ethernet cable I assume you mean between my computer and the modem? It's a bit hard due to where they're located (two floor difference, infact!)

I don't believe my IP is static either.

8. Loxy

Oh finicky is such a good word, Sums up the 2 in 1 model perfectly.
    The static IP is pretty much a requirement, Something wireless refuses to give.

Im not sure what you mean by the connect but to answer it in multiple format.

I have the Virgin hub myself and host a 100% lag free server nightly for a good number of friends (sometimes 15+ on a 120mbs Net speed) So I know it works, And have had to deal first hand with the hubs refusal to host while being wireless.

To connect to Starbounds server on the hosting machine its always your own IP.
    127.0.0.1 doesn't seem to work, A fix that works beautifully on other brands. Im not sure why this is so. Yet I dont ask when your own IP is just fine.
    To connect to the router to access its settings. Its 192.168.0.1.

But as above, The refusal of the hub to actually remember devices and allocate them a new IPv4 is probably the main culprit here. I feel pretty stupid honestly in which I did not ask the question sooner.

9. Loxy

Something which I picked up on in the logs but failed to recognise sooner. Im sorry for not leading into that sooner and hoped it was an error elsewhere!

2 Floor difference is huge! I take it you use Virgins great offer for Students? More power to you, But not having the main hub close at hand can cause real problems.
    Still.. You should be able to connect to a server fine. Find someone else with the static to host for you. and enjoy the game as it should be played that way o;

10. Bucketlamp

Connecting your Ethernet cable to your modem likely won't change anything except the clarity of the connection (read: Less packet loss if there was any). However, you should make your IP static if you want to port forward. If it's Dynamic, then there is a chance any settings you've made on your router will mean nothing. (this is why your IP is changing from .1 to .2) .

Just do what I said to quickly set your IP to a static one. There is a simple tool available through portforward.com. It should be findable through google by searching "portforward.com static" do not download it if it looks like it's packaged, and say no to any bloat that might be in their installation packet. If you don't wish to do that, I can walk you through setting it manually.

11. Veloxia

Veloxia Void-Bound Voyager

http://i.imgur.com/fFv19bt.png
    That's what I meant by your firewall, the one on your OS.

Edit: Oh god I didn't know that screenie was so jank, I'm sorry.

12. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Sorry for the late reply folks.

Thanks for all the help Loxy, connecting to someone else seems to be the best option for me right now but I think I'll still poke around a little more.

I'm going to try setting up my IP to a static one later today, I'll give you a poke if I need some guidance, Bucket.

I had a look on my Firewall Veloxia and under inbound rules I couldn't even find Starbound... do I need to add a new rule and then locate the Starbound file or the program itself?

13. Bucketlamp

I won't be able to help you out until tomorrow Morgs. I have a plane to catch and won't be touching down for 14 hours. After you set up a static IP you should be able able to connect to your own server using your own local IP. Unfortunately "LOCALHOST" doesn't seem to be valid in joining a server.

14. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Okay pal, have a safe trip!

15. Veloxia

Veloxia Void-Bound Voyager

Okay, you'll have to make new rules.
    Go to the Advanced Settings > Inbound Rules > New Rule (On the right) > Port > Check TCP then put in 21025 in the box for specific ports then the rest you can just hit next all the way through. It's a safe port, you'll be fine.

After, you'll have to do it again, except check UDP instead of TCP. You absolutely need two Starbounds like I did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.