1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Cannot start server or use multiplayer

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Morgs, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Hi guys!

Firstly, I'm not too good with computers but I managed to open the correct port for port forwarding.

However when I launch the Starbound server, the whole thing just stops on the line 'Info: Scanning for router for portfowarding.' and doesn't progress any further. No errors or the likes come up but I also cannot close this and requires a system restart.

Because of this not working I decided to try connecting to a friends server, however the moment I click Join Server my game just freezes and nothing happens. I also cannot force this down and requires a restart.

I understand this is beta but I haven't come across anyone else with this problem (or maybe I'm not looking good enough) so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Seripa likes this.
  2. Seripa

Seripa Subatomic Cosmonaut

Here's a bump for you. I hope your issue gets solved soon.

I know it takes a while when getting the server client to actually start one of your own, it will pause at port forwarding for quite some time.. I would leave it there for a bit, go off to play a game or something to see if anything happens. When it reaches "Info: Shutting down world alpha:(lots of numbers" oddly enough, that's when you're supposed to be set to go. Also don't worry about the plethora of warn messages you get, that's normal right now.

Another thing to consider, did you type in your personal IP into your port forwarding configuration? As in, the IP your router has assigned your computer personally.

Start > Run > Type in CMD > Brings up a black box > Type in ipconfig.

Should be something like IPv4 Address. That's what you need to put in when you're forwarding a port. Another thing, though you probably knew this, but right now the port to forward is specific.

It must be 21025.

3. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Hi, thanks for the bump and reply.

Yeah I've done everything correct regarding the port forwarding, I'm going to try letting the server run by itself for an hour or two and hope that works.

4. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Small bump, still looking for some help to this problem.

I ran the server for about 2 hours yesterday and had no luck. Multiplayer still freezes, too.

5. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Still looking for some help. Getting jealous of all my friends playing together!

6. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Seen there was an update today and gave me hope.

Sadly game still freezes and doesn't respond when trying to join multiplayer. I've given up trying to get the server working too.

I'd really appreciate some help.

7. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Daily bump, I guess!

Would like an official response or such.

8. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Sadly need to bump this again.

9. Veloxia

Veloxia Void-Bound Voyager

Hey there, maybe I could help.
    How long have you waited before shutting it down?
    Did you allow both TCP and UDP ports though both your firewall and your router?

10. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Hello there. :)

I've waited 2 hours for the server to run in the past and I've also left the game running when it's 'not responding' for about 30 minutes.

Yes I've allowed those ports. When trying to join my own IP I don't freeze anymore but just get an in-game error. Trying to connect to other servers still causes my game to freeze and not respond.

11. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Another day goes by that I can't play with my friends!

Losing hope in this. :(

12. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Hi! The problem seems to have now changed.

I ran Starbound (OpenGL) last night and by some miracle I was able to connect to my own IP on a multiplayer server. My friend was even able to join me which was great. We decided to make new characters to start our adventure but now it wont connect. On OpenGL my game fortunately doesn't freeze but now I just get a connection failed error when we try to connect to the same IP we were playing on.

13. Veloxia

Sorry about my late response, finals week is horrible.

What error does it give you when you can't connect?

14. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Hi again, I'd imagine.. but good luck with your finals!

There error I get is - Join failed! Error connecting to 'IP here:21025'

15. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello Morgs,

Apologies I haven't noticed your thread sooner in order to help you!

The error your encountering appears to be a port forwarding issue, Are you sure your port forward rules are still set and eligible?
    Remember that most routers today require the devices Internal IP Address to enable a portforward. Your router typically allocates them an Internal IP address as they connect for the first time. Most modern Routers can tell you this by looking at the connected devices list then after working out which one belongs to the computer you wish Starbound to be hosted on.

For example here is a Print screen of my router Port forward settings:
    [​IMG]

http://imgur.com/nifMXRM

(Images are badly lagging on the forums right now, You may need to refresh several times to view it)
    This is an example of the Virgin medias Super hub. That IP address there is the internal IP address for my computer. .

Its also an idea to port forward a range of IPs, Some say that range should 80 to 21027 but I disagree and simply imply that you Forward the ports of 21025 to 21028. As so in my example.

As for your crashes, It could be a multitude of problems,

So.. In order to analyse that could you post both of your Starbound logs located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound (Ignore the (x86) if your running a 32 bit OS)
    To either Pastebin or via spoiler here.

And your full computer specs for me to take a look at.

Regards

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  16. Veloxia

Also double checking to see if your firewall inbound rules allow the UCP and TCP port along with the virtual server/firewall on your router where you port forward.
    I've noticed that is a common mistake amongst port forwarding.

17. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Hi again guys, thank you for the replies.

Fortunately I too have the Virgin Media Super Hub, here's a screenshot of what it currently looks like. http://imgur.com/FeIpsuo

I decided to check my IP config however and I think I may have found the problem. As you can see in the screenshot my IPv4 is 192.168.0.2 but after checking my IP config again while writing this, it seems to have changed to .3?

Is this even possible or am I looking at the wrong line?

I'm also having a bit of trouble finding my logs. http://imgur.com/C0LwbWa I've looked through every file there and I can't find starbound.log

18. Loxy

Hi again Morgs :)

Heres an image I strewn up for you showing the location of your IPv4. The badly drawn yellow line showing which one.
    http://imgur.com/HnK4Iyo

If it has indeed changed, Try making it so the new port forward rules are for that Internal IP instead.
    I'm not sure why it would change, There would be no reason for it to do so.

It would also be wise to follow the rules set like I have done so. Having a virgin media hub too I fully recommend setting your end port to 21028 so you have the full range open :)

Your starbound logs are the two text files at the bottom of that folder, They do not say logs and as such was a bad interpretation by my end, Apology's for the confusion.

To clarify they are the two text documents at the bottom of the folder 170kb and 161kb respectively.
    Just the contents of those files should be sufficient enough to post via spoiler, Labeling which one is which and such if you have no joy, They should tell me exact what is going wrong.

Regards
    Loxy

19. Morgs

Morgs Seal Broken

Hello!

So I tried changing the IP on port forwarding and it didn't seem to work.

No need to apologise! I should have assumed it was one of those really from all the random text in them. :)

Here is the first file - http://pastebin.com/3bx6fCrc
    And the second file - http://pastebin.com/1yu8rrpE

Thanks again for the help

20. Loxy

Interesting, Its looking to be an exception issue, Have you created an exception in your firewall to allow Starbound to access those ports?
    Seems like a dumb thing to ask but everything is as it should be. With the exception of two slightly different IP addresses being Successfully completed to fail.

Also are you wired via a Cat5 (ethernet cable) or wireless?

Virgin Media has a TERRIBLE (and capslocking that word is pointing the issue lightly) problem with its wireless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.