Modding Help Can you use a different sized spritesheet?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by eemie, May 1, 2016.

1. eemie

eemie Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Hello,
    So I was wondering if you could use a bigger sized 'palet' (not sure what to call it) if you wanted to mod the .png for (for example) a chicken. The size for the chickensprites palet is 64x112 I believe, but if you wanted to make a more detailed chicken, is it possible to use twice the size, like 128x224? Has anyone tried this?
    Let me know, it would be nice if it could work.

• XaviiKinz

XaviiKinz Space Penguin Leader

What you're refering to is called a "sprite" or a "spritesheet" - a "palette" contains all the colors you use in a drawing/painting.
      And I do believe it's not possible to make bigger sprites, since the sizes are hardcoded in the exe. You'd need to change them by using a SMAPI mod, but I'm pretty sure that's not doable as of right now. Maybe in the future? I mean, someone already made a SMAPI mod to make bigger/higher res portraits.

(By the way, these are examples of palettes. The first is the one used while painting, the other is the one people usually refer to when talking about sprites)
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

zcsnightmare and eemie like this.
      • eemie

eemie Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Alright, thank you for clearing that up! English is not my native language and I sometimes have trouble with what to call things.

I understand you can't change the size of a sprite. What I actually meant was whether you could use larger spritesheets so you could add more details and whether it would still show up in the game in the normal sized sprite. But I understand it won't work, so thank you for answering. Maybe in the future!

XaviiKinz likes this.
        • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Larger spritesheets can be done, but it would require a SMAPI mod to make it work, because the size of the sprites is hardcoded into the game, and we'd have to override those hardcoded values.

eemie likes this.
          • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Actually, just to mention if its buildings [like slime hutch or stable] with only one image on the file you can probably get away by resizing the canvas to make more room for whatever you're trying to do --did so to get my stable to match the roof of my house.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

That is because CA is using the width & height of the texture as part of the drawing code there, in most cases that isnt done :p

taintedwheat likes this.
              • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Wahh well it should be o:

Anyway, more cake for you:
                200w (1).gif