Modding Help Can You Put Two Opposite sitPositions on One Object?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by rare_candy_bracelet, Aug 29, 2017.

1. rare_candy_bracelet

rare_candy_bracelet Existential Complex

So I'm making a sushi conveyer belt, yeah? And ideally, I'd like players and npcs to be able to sit at the stools facing the counter and belt, as seen here:
    sushibelttest.gif
    but after a bit of digging, I noticed no objects in the base game have multiple sitting positions facing different sides on a single object... So is it possible? And if so, how?

2. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Check the fountain object. I haven't been on Starbound in a while, but I seem to remember that there are multiple sit positions on this object. I could be wrong though.

3. rare_candy_bracelet

thank you, but no luck, unfortunately- the object sits you in two places, yeah, but they're both facing the same direction

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Might want to make the seats separate objects, and with a different sit direction per orientation. You could control things like being able to place the chairs close(or overlapping) by manually defining "spaces" in the orientations too. I'd make the bottom part "not exist" as part of the object's boundary by not including that in your spaces. And the counter object could use something like
    Code:
    "renderLayer" : "Object-1",
    so that the chairs render in front of the counter.

edit:
    You may find this thread helpful for objects.
    https://community.playstarbound.com...ment-zlevel-renderlayer-spaces-anchor.130154/

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    rare_candy_bracelet likes this.
  5. rare_candy_bracelet

Update: I figured it out! With a little referencing from Working Bunk Beds, I put scraped together a little lua script that puts both of the countertops together and the conveyer belt on top!
    sushibelttest2.gif
    so now my only question is this: how can I make breaking one of those three components break the other two? I'm not too familiar with lua yet.

6. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

I do this in my create-a-friend mod. What I did was to attach the script to one of the objects and have that object spawn the others. In the update loop I check to see if the other objects still exist. If not, the object destroys other objects and then destroys itself. A vanilla example to reference is the sign-making store from the outpost. It does something similar to make sure that the sign-making easel is present.

rare_candy_bracelet likes this.
  7. rare_candy_bracelet

Right so, I see that both your mod and EASEL both do something in lua to make that happen, but unfortunately, lua is practically gibberish to me (I only learned #C) so I'm not sure how to mimic what you've done for my purposes. If you wouldn't mind, could you explain what exactly every line of code is doing?

8. rare_candy_bracelet

Scratch all that, I figured it out! took me forever though

In case anyone runs across this problem in the future themselves, @Peelz is absolutely correct! The file /objects/outpost/signshop/signdispenser.lua is what you'll wanna reference for this issue - essentially copy and paste it and sub in your own object's positions and names when needed.