Modding Discussion Can someone make a mod that optimizes/remove the rain?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by spudcosmic, Dec 11, 2013.

1. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

Sure

Do you have Steam?

2. Dilwoah

Dilwoah Void-Bound Voyager

I do. Let's take this to PM's so the thread doesn't get off topic.

Just shoot me a PM with your steam info and I'll add you.

3. Phlosioneer

Phlosioneer Pangalactic Porcupine

4. Dilwoah

No I made them all have only 1 frame but the same lag remained. It's the way the game renders all the entities it seems. Or something along those lines. And the only way to change that seems to be with rewriting the game. I couldn't find anything in the assets that could change it unfortunately.

5. spudcosmic

spudcosmic Master Chief

Wow, who knew such an amazing solution could arise in the few hours I was gone at school. Thanks, this should be perfect!

6. CrazyFruits

CrazyFruits Void-Bound Voyager

Changing the density in the rain config files to 0 works perfectly, I've been using this method since day one release when I found that my computer struggled and was completely unplayable.
    You will still hear the rain but you just wont have any.

7. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

Are you sure? i've done this and it still seems to rain, do I have to start a new world or something?

8. CrazyFruits

CrazyFruits Void-Bound Voyager

Once you've changed all density to 0 and boot the game you should be fine, I was already nearly on Tier 3 when I made the changes with no need for a new character.

9. TheCactusman

TheCactusman Orbital Explorer

Nope, doesn't work for me. None of these methods work for disabling rain on my Starbound.

10. Dilwoah

I'll have to take a look. It seems to work for most but a few are having problems with it.

11. Dracoxpe

Dracoxpe Void-Bound Voyager

I was thinking the same thing. I usually get a decent framerate thats usualy almost perfect-- and the rain effects are handled well by my PC. However, these two times i lag THE MOST:
    1. Visiting that one lady (wtf was her name again?) at the ark ruins by the outpost. Causes massive framerate drops, obviously because of the portal thing behind her
    2.Blizzard effects (when in environments like outside the arena for the mech battle mission and on all planets marked 'dangerously cold.')

For one, while i know a lot related to computers, i am probably the worst programmer you'll ever find... Still, maybe we could change the files that contain the data required to create blizzard effects, and edit them to be more efficient and less intensive. Or, change the effects behavior and the textures. If that isnt enough, remove it (i wouldn't tho if i were you, just saying) or just replace it with an animation that just shows in the background of exposed areas of the map. Dunno, it depends

12. Dracoxpe

okay actually regarding my previous comment, i think the whole thing about it being more demanding is just due to the way the game engine uses the effects :I
    yeah forget what i said about making it less intensive

13. Dracoxpe

You cant just start a new world. The game already creates a save for the entire universe, and you cant really change it unless if you go into the game files and remove/swap the universe files, which probably isn't worth it anyway.
    (Incase you're wondering, for the steam version, as long as the game is stored in the STEAM folder, all starbound save files are found in here: "...\STEAM\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\")

14. Dracoxpe

of course not... Come to think of it, that's idea sounds ineffective enough i would have scraped it right away.

If anything, we COULD make a mod that just replaces it with a pre-rendered animation that is played on-screen (with certain areas of it invisible where theres no rain/blizzard, just so it doesnt look cheap like its raining inside or something) and see how that does.

15. Dracoxpe

wait a minute....

I just found a folder in the assets package called rendering, and it has a configuration file in it named opengl20.config.

Maybe
    --just MAYBE--we can fix part of it here?

16. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You are posting in a thread that has been dead for 4 years, replying to people who haven't even logged in for almost 3 years. And to top it off, you have posted 5 times in a row.

The easiest solution to the problem would be just straight removal of rain, which can be trivially done with a simple patch of the weather config.

17. Dracoxpe

No wonder nobody answered, lol