1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Can my laptop actually run SV?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ThePandaEmperor, Aug 8, 2018.

1. ThePandaEmperor

ThePandaEmperor Space Hobo

Greetings

I have played Stardew Valley for atleast 15 hours on my laptop and had some problems. It ran smoothly for the first 10 hours, but when my laptop didn't want to shutdown after 30+ min, I hold the power button in to force shutdown.

The next day my laptop got stuck on the welcome screen of Windows no matter how many restarts. I had to system restore it back 5 days. I got the game back on from a copy I kept on a USB stick and started playing again.

After 2 hours the speakers suddenly made weird screeching noises and my laptop restarted while saying there was some sort of error. This happened the moment I clicked on the dog to pet it.

Today I played for like 3 hours smoothly and when I walked into a screen transition, the game just froze with a grey screen. Had to hard restart my laptop.

My laptop never had any of these problems before with other games. My question is if this laptop is too weak to run Stardew Valley. Here is the specs.

Lenovo ideapad 110
    Windows 10
    Intel Celeron N3060 @1.60 GHz
    I think the cpu is dual core.
    2 GB RAM
    DirectX version 12
    Intel HD Graphics with 1094 mb memory.

This game was so addictive I played my first 10 hours straight xD

• ConcernedDuck

ConcernedDuck Aquatic Astronaut

Hi! I'm good with computers, and i think your Celeron there is being overused, considering that SDV needs 2ghz, so if you want to still play Stardew Valley, play it moderately. That will help you and your CPU.

Ho ho ho.
      ConcernedDuck

P.S: If it was a quadcore, it would have no probs.

ThePandaEmperor likes this.
      • DvDmanDT

DvDmanDT Tentacle Wrangler

I think that laptop should be able to handle SV from a pure performance perspective, but it sounds like you have a hardware, driver and/or overheating problem. If something crashes your computer, or causes it to lock up to the point where you need to hard reboot it, there's a hardware, driver or OS problem. Always. No game or application can ever cause those types of issues on their own, no matter how broken they are. The reason you are only seeing it with SV is that it's the only game/whatever that uses whatever component that contains the real fault.

It could be that you are running out of RAM and start excessively swapping. If you have a slow disk it may slow down your computer to a near halt, seemingly freezing the entire system. You could try to restart your computer, then close down everything except SV and see if that helps.

ThePandaEmperor likes this.
        • ThePandaEmperor

ThePandaEmperor Space Hobo

Ok I now updated all my drivers. After that, I started a new save and after about 3 hours my laptop gave a Blue Screen Of Death :eek: just like the previous times. The error code was: Unexpected Store Exception. I ran a System File Scan and it found no corrupted system files. I haven't done any Windows Updates this year so that could be the problem. I agree, this laptop can run SV, but maybe only at intervals of 2 hours xD

The disk is 58GB full, and I have a 1 TB disk. This laptop is quite stupidly made I have to admit... the cooling fan air intake is from the bottom of the laptop... I make sure it never gets too heated tho.

I will see if windows updates can fix it, or just play at short intervals lol

• DvDmanDT

DvDmanDT Tentacle Wrangler

Apparently some Antivirus programs are causing this error as well (there are several reasons why you might see it, Antivirus being one) so make sure you keep yours updated if you are using one.