1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Can I save my server? (Solved)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Yangjo, Dec 4, 2013.

1. AndroidJazz

AndroidJazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, first press exit , then save and quit, Do not turn off the server until it has said "reaping client." I have just tested this a number of times and now it seems to be saving my stuff each time.

2. lilzil

lilzil Space Hobo

If there is a config file of some sort this would be very nice to know about. And/or where are the server files saved when the server start up is ran??

3. Zarana

Zarana Aquatic Astronaut

I had a look at the files in the universe folder and it seems the world i had is in a failed state now as the file which is definitely my world saved (it's the biggest file, 1,8mb compared to 300kb newly generated world, also the file edit timestamp matches the time i quit the first time when it crashed)

if i try to rename the file and remove the failed it just re-sets it after next launch and creates the same world it originally created again.

checking those files it looks like the server creates a new alpha world every time it's launched where it sends newly created characters but if you connect with a character that already has a world tied to it it loads that world.

so in theory saving should work fine

i don't know why it didn't save for me when i tested it before, but now when i'm testing it it appears to work (i just connect to server, beam down, mine some dirt, save and quit, shut down server, do the same thing and the dirt is still gone now)

now is there a way to start the server without it creating a new world right at the beginning so we can just continue playing our world (which we will make again because we lost our progress)

edit: seeing this:
    makes sense to me now, as i'm pretty sure the failed tests i had before didn't involve me saving and quitting the client but closing the server immediately, that's when it doesn't get saved.

4. Neszy

Neszy Void-Bound Voyager

I'm assuming you're referring to where the world is saved/how the world is selected so that you could start a new world. Short answer is I don't think anyone's too sure yet... below is a quote from another thread discussing this:

Configs seem to be located in "Starbound/assets", universe_server.xml, default_configuation.xml and server.xml seem to have some options in there, though I wouldn't screw around with them. Conventional config options (port, password, world selection, etc) are AFAIK absent.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/bartwerf/statuses/408342742159208449. Also, default_configuation.xml seems to allow you to change port, password etc. A lot of conventional config options are still missing, however.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  5. dollvader

dollvader Void-Bound Voyager

I just tested what AndroidJazz suggested and for the most part it seems to work. :up: There were a few times where I removed a few blocks, quickly quit the game then exited the server and they didn't save world progress. The blocks appeared in my inventory but the world still had the blocks placed. I tried again and gave the server about 20 seconds before I shut it down and when I reloaded the blocks I removed were still gone. So it seems like giving the server time to write the changes may be needed(?)

6. AndroidJazz

AndroidJazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Exactly .

7. wicketman8

wicketman8 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I just x it out like normal and it works fine for me.

8. kavex

kavex Space Penguin Leader

Yeah i confirm this as well

9. tehaznsage

tehaznsage Space Spelunker

I don't understand what you guys mean by 'Exit' I don't see such a button in the game to press, or in the command prompt.

10. Equilibriate

Equilibriate Orbital Explorer

i think he meant escape.....

11. tehaznsage

tehaznsage Space Spelunker

Oh. Derp. time to test it then

12. Yangjo

Yangjo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'll test this method that AndroidJazz has said. I will see if it works, and I will update and say the resolve in the edit of this thread. Until I do test it, it won't be edited, but right now, I'm still playing multiplayer with friends. Very soon will it be time for me to end it and test this method.

Anyway, have fun in Starbound!

13. Salvador

Salvador Intergalactic Tourist

I am a freind of yangjo and i tested this with him and i can approve this is legit our world didnt save once and we got pissed we had to make a new one now we figured this out we can finnally save our world

14. Equilibriate

Equilibriate Orbital Explorer

Good to know ty.

15. MalaZ

MalaZ Void-Bound Voyager

Press Ctrl+C to exit the cmd server.

16. Darloth

Darloth Poptop Tamer

After having tested this extensively, I've worked out exactly when the server saves (at least on my setup).

First, the player file (which is inventory + ship contents) is saved when a player uses Save and Quit, when the server console says Reaping Player.

however, the WORLD file for a given world is only saved when the world is shut down. This does NOT happen automatically when closing a server, but it will happen about 1-2 minutes after the last player leaves a world, and it will say "Info: Shutting down world [sector]:[coord x]:[coord y][coord z?]:[orbit and planet]" with various numbers that specify which world exactly. If you haven't seen that message in your server console, then the world file probably isn't saved and will vanish if you just close the server.

Get everyone to leave the world alone and beam up for a minute or two, and it'll save it.

17. Veliah Truard

Veliah Truard Space Hobo

I can confirm what Darloth said directly above me. Only I found that you didn't have to have people wait around in the game itself, everyone can log out, from the planet surface even, so long as you wait a moment and let the server shut down all the active worlds once people are out of the server, then everything saves.

So when you're watching your server log, read: "Shutting down world ##########, ##########" as "Saving and closing world ############, #############"

18. DaPhoenyx

DaPhoenyx Void-Bound Voyager

Alright, next question, how do you make your server use the same universe everytime? Is the universe from my server different from the one of my singleplayer char?

19. Throne

Throne Space Spelunker

in the default_configuration.config

"useDefaultWorldCoordinate" : false,
    "defaultWorldCoordinate" : "alpha:-XXXXXXXX:-XXXXXXXX:-XXXXXXXX:6:12",

you would want to set it to true and specify the world file name from your universe folder.

20. Zarana

Zarana Aquatic Astronaut

t
    hat's not true, the universe itself the server loads is always the same as in your singleplayer file.

the useDefaultWorldCoordinate variable is to set a default position where the server makes new characters start out at, but if you open up a server and play on it you're always playing in the same universe as all your singleplayer characters because there's only one universe to play in.

That's also why you can create one character, build something, note the coordinates, create another character, fly tho those coordinates and find what you built with the other character.