1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Can I save my server? (Solved)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Yangjo, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Yangjo

Yangjo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just wanted to know whether the server saves automatically or do I have to manually save it.
    And if I do have to manually save it, how do I do so?

It seems that you can not manually save the server, but it does save.
    If you end the server without someone in the game quitting, it won't save as to what it seems to me.

This quote says what you have to do in order to ensure saving your world for your server.
    This seems to work.
    Make sure the players in the server Exit (ESC) and SAVE AND QUIT.
    This is what the console should say if it has saved.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. wicketman8

wicketman8 Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's automatically saved :up:

3. Yangjo

It seems like to me it doesn't automatically saves. I lost my progress when I ended the command prompt. Is there a way to exit with out losing my progress in my server?

AndroidJazz likes this.
  4. TermiGR

TermiGR Space Hobo

Important Question!

5. kavex

kavex Space Penguin Leader

Yes, I am scared to close my command prompt, I was surprised you could do any commands.

Edit: I open a server on my main computer to test it out and it doesn't save

6. AndroidJazz

AndroidJazz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just lost all my progress also and I have no idea why we cannot use command prompts to save and back up servers. :(

7. jingerjargon

jingerjargon Orbital Explorer

I'm worried about the same thing over here, is anyone familiar with how this type of server works?

8. Throne

Throne Space Spelunker

I can't find a way at all to admin the server, no way from what I can see to gracefully stop, kick, etc.

9. Yangjo

This seems very bad, I do not want to lose any of the progress I have gained with my friends. I would really like to know whether it is possible to save or not from what these replies are saying :S

10. kavex

as far as it looks you can't save your server

11. AndroidJazz

Has anyone tried typing commands into chat while playing on their server like /save , /help ect?

12. Zarana

Zarana Aquatic Astronaut

didn't work, tried stuff like save shutdown quit exit admin help cmd cmdlist nothing worked

closing the server command prompt window or pressing ctrl+c both doesn't save the world, neither does ctrl+break...

i have no idea how to save a server in windows because the command prompt won't let me input anything like terraria's server interface did for saving

13. Throne

Throne Space Spelunker

Yep, tried a bunch of different commands, keep getting "no such command X"

I don't know if this is due to me not having OP on the server, or that the commands don't exist

14. kavex

Tried anything i could think of and only got commands don't exist

15. kavex

So it seems your character inv and ship is saved on your local computer

16. AndroidJazz

Yeah, You would think they would of put the server commands on the wiki or something.

17. Neszy

Neszy Void-Bound Voyager

Seems so, meaning I'm not sure exactly how anyone in this thread is finding that their world didn't save. I would've thought that as long as your character has been saved (e.g. if you're hosting a server for friends maybe you need to go on and save & quit before closing the server DOS), the server (world) would also have been saved. There aren't any commands because this is a Beta - they'll add them in due course. For the time being, keep your servers private and play with the mindset that your character/world will probably be deleted at some point.

I'd just like to know how exactly the server decides which world to use...

18. MajesticMint

MajesticMint Void-Bound Voyager

The server saves by itself to your local files, but you need to set the world file in the server configuration to get it to load the same world each time

19. Neszy

Neszy Void-Bound Voyager

There's a config...?

20. kavex

edit: My server seems to have saved o_O

So I was reading on the thread about the auto-shutdown issue so I grabbed everything i cared about and shut it down and when i load it back up it's the same map.

So maybe it does autosave when everyone leaves