1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Callistan Race Mod DL Fix Attempt - Take two

A tribute to great outdated mods

1. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Unfortunately, the author requires permission to use their assets. If you can reach them and they change their permissions; I can see what I can salvage from it.

2. Presios Saiyan

Presios Saiyan Giant Laser Beams

Even more unfortunately, the author never came back for 3 years. So, i saw the saiyan race mod on workshop and that means the author of the original mod left this forum 3 years ago. Sad News is: You got to credit the author with a disclaimer. Because the author of that mod won't come back even i tell him to take permission, he will never reply.

So, take credit and put a disclaimer on it, okay?

3. Ramare

Ramare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey there, everybody. I was doing an edit to the Callistan's sprites for a friend (he wanted them less furry, for those curious) when I noticed some things I had to fix about the parts I wasn't just wholesale replacing with (color-edited) human sprites. Firstly, the less important fix, the fact that the tail and ears were so flat colored bothered me, so I gave them a bit of light shading. Secondly, the more important fix, I did a bunch of touch-ups on the head sprites. There were rogue pixels that weren't quite the right color and therefore didn't change shading in-game like they were supposed to, there were inconsistencies between the male and female head that didn't seem intentional, there were some missing pixels and I decided to give the eyebrows the color from the ears/tail so that they change shade with those now.

I figured that it would be best to post the sprite sheets, with those edits separated from the fur removal job I was originally doing, onto the forums so that others could use those fixes. You can pull them out of this post, give them the appropriate name and plug them into your CallistanRaceMod\humanoid\callistan folder. The mod author could also totally add these into the mod itself if so desired.

femalehead.png femalehead
    femalebody.png femalebody
    malehead.png malehead
    malebody.png malebody

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  4. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Falfeather updated Callistan Race Mod with a new update entry:

40-40-20% More awesome

Read the rest of this update entry...

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  5. Roskii Heiral

I'll check it out. I use alot of shaggier hair styles, so i never noticed any issues before. The brushes on gimp sometimes effect neighboring pixels (which is annoying). That's probly what happened.

Glad you helped your friend give his character a good shave xD. I really prefer a more furry look though.

6. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

7. Roskii Heiral

8. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

I prefer piskel over photoshop for my pixel art needs, as it is optimized for pixel art.

Gimp and Photoshop is nice for transparencies though....

9. Jareix Cryvix

But, doesn't piskel require moneys? And can you copy pixels from other files? Also, how good is it for animation? And what about palates? Selection tools? TELL ME MOAR!

10. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Piskel is free.

Piskel does allow you to import any image, including gifs, jpegs, and pngs. So you can import animations into piskel, and it will automatically divide the animation into frames.

Piskel saves all of the colors you use in a list on the side so you can keep track of the colors you are using. It also allows you to select any color from the list by just clicking on said color.

Piskel's tools are simple, I will admit. But they get the job done.

11. Ramare

Paint.net (link to it here) is my personal go to texture-them-up tool.

I started using it at first because it was free and able to work with .dds files, but kept using it because it was simple enough as to be easy to use but had more than enough tools and options to be able to do whatever I needed and it's still supported and getting updates despite having been around for a decade.

It probably doesn't have as many tools as GIMP, or as many shaders, filters and post-processing effects as PhotoShop but, in the end, do you really need those?

Uh oh. My friend told me about a rogue pixel he saw when his character was sleeping that wasn't changing with his character's skin color and today when I looked at the emote sheet I noticed that all of the pixels are slightly the wrong color so none of them were actually shading correctly. Whoops.

I fixed that with a quick global mode 1% tolerance paint bucket job using the skin and tail pixel colors from the body sprites. Here you go.
    emote.png emote

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
  12. Roskii Heiral

Yeah, they were for the human skin defaults and not apex (which my mod draws from). Nice catch. I'm adding your adjusted character sheets to an optional folder in the mod on the next release for people to pick from if they want. I'll probly keep your emotes if they work well. For anyone who wants a non-furry version of Callistan, I'd just point them to the detailed species mod. The sprites are really detailed and quite beautiful. I actually used one of the detailed apex bodies as the base for Callistans. I prefer the fur though, so I wouldn't really ever add a non-furry version to the official mod.

Thanks for all your feedback everyone =3

Ramare and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  13. Roskii Heiral

[​IMG]

Re-added a removed set of legwear that was removed from the game. I shaved it down to look better and renaming it Callistan Armored Jeans. What do you guys think? They used to be called power armour legs

Ramare and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  14. Ramare

Cool! And the edited emote sheet should work well since I didn't edit any of the actual sprites, I just swapped the color palette so that it would shade correctly in-game.

For the record, I also like the Detailed Species mod. My favorite part is that it has options so that crazy people like me don't have to, say, manually edit Tailfeathers and Drumsticks arms and legs onto the Avian's sprites because there's already an option for that. I combined Detailed Species with Starface and Sleeker Glitch Chassis (listed in order of priority for the purpose of which mod's heads I was using in the end) for a complete humanoid sprite overhaul. It's very nice.

15. Roskii Heiral

You acutally used the fur colors for the eye lids xD. But I'll still fix up my original

Ramare likes this.
  16. Pensive_WolF

Pensive_WolF Void-Bound Voyager

love the mod idea, but I have a problem. I have just discovered that the mod is broken as far as I can tell, the very first time I get on the ship, the teleportal forces you to name the ship as a bookmark, and then the only place you can teleport to is right back onto the ship. you can never leave the ship the portal never lets you go to the starter planet. please help. is this mod unfinished maybe? or not fully tested? any1 else having this problem? any known mod conflicts maybe? Starbound wolf race problem.png

17. Jareix Cryvix

Have you tried the "beam down" button on your far right?

18. Pensive_WolF

huh, on other races it was always the teleportal to get down i think, strange that it would teleport to itself. but thanks, that seemed to be the fix, weird.

do you plan to upload to Nexus and/or Steam workshope? it's a lot easier to follow modders and updates on there i find, I'm new to this site, and I'm having trouble navigating it. :p

and

any chance on a version that uses a different ship and A.I maybe?

or could you maybe tell me how to change just those 2 things please, but i'd really like to keep the gun :)

I'd love a Wolf themed ship and A.I or possible a cortana A.I.

and I'm willing to try to make my own mod that would add Zoids into the game, but honestly I don't have any idea where to start or what programs to use, tho I have found nice Zoid sprites already. and I'm kinda hoping that if you could tell me how I might change out the ship and A.I that might be a good starting point to learning modding Starbound.

sorry if it seems like i'm asking a lot, but mainly just the ship and a.i swap. to what something more wolf themed :), if i fall into the pilot space on the ship, its rather hard to get back out before having that double jump tech.

if possible

please

haven't made the anvil yet, so not sure if this is a dumb thing to ask but, maybe make it so that they can craft the guns like the Gas bag race can? since they start with a gun in the inventory, it seems kind right to be able to craft those also.

I also jus noticed that the starting gun has no DPS, rate of fire, or Special stated other than the "kill mode" think that will be changed?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
  19. Jareix Cryvix

The ship and AI are among the most difficult things to sprite, with a custom respawn being the most difficult. They will probably continue adding content to the mod. The gun is like that probably because it's based off of a custom weapon rather than a normal gun. They also probably have yet to implement crafting recipes for weapons yet, so be patient.
    You can easily use skittles' race template mod and the modding e-book to get your own mod up and running. It's really not that hard.

20. Pensive_WolF

just found some old wolf / werewolf tattoo designs I saw and thought they might make good Flag and or A.I.'s, ur welcome to use them if you'd like. werewolf_by_Iciclefobbit.jpg Werewolf_Tattoo_by_iisaw.jpg Wolf_Head_Icon_1 copy.jpg Wolf-Brigade-Tat.png