1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Building and weather - any changes since launch?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tanek, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello, all.

One of the frustrations when it came to large builds in Starbound was when weather effects ignored the roof/wall. Flooding, dust storms, and chaos.

If I recall correctly, this is when that wall or roof happened to be outside of the loaded "chunk" of the world, so the weather would spawn inside the structure. It seems to still be happening, so I wondered if there have been any solutions since the launch of the game.

Thanks in advance for any info!

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

In my experience, if you've filled in the background of the building, the weather won't have the chance to spawn inside the structure. And I've built some pretty huge things lately.

3. Tanek

I did try this, making sure that the background was filled in everywhere, including behind walls and supports. Does not seem to make a difference. Both rain and dust storms still happen indoors once the roof or far wall is out of range.

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

How large is your structure? I just built a structure that take me a minute to walk through even using sprint, and that seems to not spawn in any weather even though neither the roof nor the wall is finished. Are you attempting to build a hollow death star or something?

5. Tanek

Not even close to that big. It maybe goes 40 block-lengths off screen? I have tried sealing the entire background, building more structures to the left and right,a nd having NPC tenants move in to the off screen parts of the structure. No change. The weather only stops coming in when I go over to a spot where I can see the walls/roof.

Also, I have noticed that every single planet of the same main biome type has the same weather. Have I just been unlucky, or is this how it is now? (I'd really like to find a desert planet where I can build and NOT have it covered in loose silt every day. :) )

6. Starfeather

Starfeather Phantasmal Quasar

While I can't help you with rain and stuff, I can with loose silt in the desert. There's a mod called "No sand sandstorms" (or something like that) that removes loose silt piling up while leaving the sandstorm and it's slowing effect.

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Hey! Self-promo time!

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/no-sand-sandstorms.3210/

Feels food to see someone recommending one of my mods.

8. Tanek

Nice! Thank you both. I will check out the mod. Ssounds like it will make the desert planets much better for a house, especially with the chunk-loaded weather working the way it does now.

9. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think this will happen right away, but I'd love to see weather removal added to the new terraformers later. Midnight biomes are stunning in my opinion, but the wind sort of doesn't look right with my cities. It'd be neat if later on terraformers/microformers could remove zones or the entirety of weather from a planet later. That way you can get moons without meteors as well.

I did have guard towers and fishing players getting hurt by acid rain when sheltered too, mostly when the blocks aren't rendered. Seems tricky but I could see it getting fixed later.