1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bugs that make finishing the game impossible

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sarius_Drake, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Sarius_Drake

Sarius_Drake Space Hobo

So,
    I've been playing starbound since 4th of Jan 2015 now. And I'm a huge fan of the game. But when 1.0 came out, there were a couple of bugs, which are still making it impossible for me to finish the story to this day. Since it barely ever ended with a crash, (and my lack of technical competence, sorry for that ':D) I can't really offer a crash log. I also reinstalled the game multiple times and moved it to different libraries ( like from C: to D :, sorry I don't know how to describe it in a different way) So, here's a description of what my bugs look like.
    1. Most of the bugs concern graphics, for example every time I do the intro mission all the blocks I could technically mine are invisible. When I'm near dungeons or larger structures like villages a lot of blocks or walls become invisible, but I also had it that blocks are mixed up, like metal blocks looking like mud blocks. The background also gets mixed up, for example after finishing the intro mission the background is a complete mess, with poorly cropped graphics of the intro mission floating around. At that point, not just the blocks or backrounds, but EVERYTHING is broken. When I press escape to save & quit, that menu is also invisible for the most part. When I manage to get to the main menu, the buttons are also invisible.
    2. The second, and probably more important bug is about missions. When I play missions, which I'm describing every event where I'm getting teleported to let's say a pocket dimension or a story mission to, there's a chance, that increases with every mission I play in one session, that when I reached the end and want to teleport back, it doesn't bring me back but after the teleportation screen I just spawn at the teleporter I tried to use, like when I want to access a story mission I get sent back to the ship instead.
    And that's the point that's making it impossible for me to finish the game: Either when I try to launch the floran mission, or the mission afterwards, it doesn't spawn me in. I get sent back to the ship. Every. single. time...

I don't know if it's any good, but it may be worth noting I have Windows 7 with 32 bit and 4 GB RAM and I also never installed any mods for starbound.
    Edit: When it did crash a couple of years back, it gave me a message that there was something about the cybvorbisfile. I deleted and re-installed the files multiple times now, afterwards it never gave me the crash message again.
    Edit #2: I started starbound as admin, it made it worse. Now right from the start all blocks, npcs, and myself were invisible. I only saw the backround.

At this point I pretty much give up completely, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do anymore...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Your machine is most likely too weak to run Starbound to its full extend. If you have the opportunity you should upgrade to an 64bit OS. With only 32bit you're hitting techincal limits causing the issues you're having.

3. Sarius_Drake

Sarius_Drake Space Hobo

Welp, RIP me then for not having that opportunity... Guess I have to find a way around that then. Thank you anyways :)