1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Bugged Item Ability: Energy Aura (Described)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Deliberation, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deliberation

Deliberation Space Hobo

I will be sad to see this go, though I know it must for this game to remain on a solid path. I found IT in my fourth chest after about 20 minutes of exploring, discovering the bug by chance, of course, within moments of equipping IT. Mining was never easier, safer, or more lucrative, landing me, for example, at 85 diamonds in 1.5 hours of gameplay.

IT
    is a 2-handed hammer, Teklacki Solarmallet, with the RMB ability of; Energy Aura. Energy Aura encircles your character in a fiery orb that will inflict damage and a burning debuff to enemies on contact. The skill also emits a fair sized aura of light for its duration, which at full charge will last 10 seconds.

There is a slight bug with the spell timers that ends up being quite considerable. If you change your equipped item to anything else while releasing, and thus activating, the charge skill, the damage and debuff effects are lost but the visual and light emitting aura remain indefinitely. If too long passes from activating the skill to changing item, the entire skill effect fades. Also, the skill will fade after glitching upon re-equipping the hammer.

On a side note, this charge ability is somewhat broken to begin with IMHO. Running around whilst charging the ability will consume its maximum energy and stay in it's final animation state emitting the light aura until releasing the RMB. After a short pause, your energy will regenerate, allowing you to run around with free light while reserving the ability to swap items and use energy at will, so long as RMB is held. Forcing the spell to cast upon fully charging, like most other item abilities, or denying energy regeneration while in a charge state, I feel would bring this ability to reasonable status.

I greatly enjoy this game and hope to see more end game content added shortly. The combat is fun and engaging, the items are varied yet accessible, travel demands are slight and allowing players to set up their own quick travel system is awesome. Keep doing great work! Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.