1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Bug, Starbound Unplayable With Mods On Last Version?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Ash Nakano, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Ash Nakano

Ash Nakano Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I've never thought to report this, but each and every time since the last update for Starbound rolled out two to three years ago that I've launched it, either online or offline, Starbound does the Chucklefish logo, then stays on the loading screen for several minutes, eventually hangs, freezes, then closes with no exception handler nor error messages before it can even open the title screen menus. It's a good thing I have an old version backed up or basically, I would not be able to play the game I paid for at all, whatsoever. This is with and without mods. Only the old version works and I have to remember not to let Steam update Starbound or I would have to take my backup and overwrite the seemingly final update from 2019.

Before you direct me to the link below, yes, I have tried everything listed in it and everything that I could find on the web about the issue, including running as an admin, launching with compatibility mode for Windows 7, doing a fresh reinstall through Steam, and nothing has fixed this.
    https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/cant-launch-starbound-read-this.118408/

I'm on Windows 10 if that helps, playing the game through Steam. You've gotta come back and patch this problem Chucklefish, release a new update. I know it's been a very long time but the reason I post this is because there was a time and a phase where I just loved playing Starbound almost as much as I could. I loved this game and was hoping to come back to it without dealing with crashing and bugs. Unless you push out a 1.4.5, I'm going to be stuck playing your game on either Stable 1.4.3 or the last "Unstable" version which quite frankly is more stable than the final Stable release you folks released. Come on Chucklefish, this is embarrassing for you folks, all things considering that there have been no new updates pushed for a very, very long time since 2019. I can play with 1.4.3 and the "Unstable" release, but 1.4.4 has always been unplayable for me.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  2. Genevra

Genevra Scruffy Nerf-Herder

can you upload your starbound.log file when you launch the game to something like pastebin, gist or hastebin and put it here?

3. Ash Nakano

I'll see what I can do! I might be busy for a few days but at the next opportunity I get, hopefully tomorrow, I'll see about posting it up!

So wait, let me get this straight, Starbound's last and final update now tries to read Steam Workshop mods, even in Steam offline mode? That would explain why I thought that, while in offline mode that there were no mods, speficially the Steam Workshop mods, loaded because that used to be the case while it would still load mods in the Mods folder offline [which in my case, is empty.] I had to force close the game because it hung at the Starbound Protectorate loading icon before the title menu, acting like it was loading for at least 10 minutes and animating while never reaching the title screen. After moving the Steam Workshop mods folder to a location Starbound wouldn't look for and having emptied out my players and universes files from the Storage folder, it actually made it to the title screen. Wow.

I'm going to upload the log anyways as requested, the one before I managed to get it to hit the title menu with no crashes nor hangs at last. I've also updated the title to this thread as well. Maybe I'm luckier than I thought, maybe it's not Chucklefish's fault after all, and maybe it's just one of the user mods I need to not use? I would hope that's really the case so that this thread can be marked as closed with some tips and advice on which mods I need to unsubscribe to.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2022
  4. Genevra

Genevra Scruffy Nerf-Herder

excellent, yeah it downloads the workshop mods to an offline location on your computer and then starbound attempts to load all those assets from disk regardless of internet connection.

you can view workshop subscriptions here: https://steamcommunity.com/id/[YOUR STEAM ID HERE]/myworkshopfiles/?appid=211820&browsefilter=mysubscriptions

typically when an issue like this happens it is indeed a rogue mod or some loading error. If you unsub from all workshop mods and verify game files you should be good to go then :)

*edit* it's also typically a good idea to add mods a few at a time to make sure nothing breaks of course, but mods can also become incompatible after updates.

5. Ash Nakano

Thanks for confirming that for me! I really appreciate it! Now that I have that knowledge, I should be able to play Starbound's final version and find out which mods aren't good! Good to know it's not Chucklefish's fault after all, and I'm so glad to have that cleared up! :3

Update: Heeey wonderful! Looks like there were indeed some rogue mods! After unsubscribing to them, the game works! It takes a while to load compared to with no mods, but I'll take that over not working at all!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    Genevra likes this.