1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Closed [Bug][Nightly] [08/14]Cannot examine, all coal, no death, the void, need a hand, instant level 2.

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by Nujuju299, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

I'm new to *these* forums, and I didn't look for very long if these bugs have already been posted. However, I found 4 bugs with a new character.
    First off all though, I'll state that I've been sticking to the stable build for a while, but got excited after reading and playing a bit of starbound lately, for the new updates being posted on the blog page. (So far they're looking awesome btw! :D)
    So I cleaned out, after backing up, my mods, characters, and universe directory a it seems that's what I needed to do first, and started a novakid character. I quickly found a few bugs, which I'll list:

-Cannot examine.
    At the start of the game, in the dark, creepy, light flickering atmosphere, there was just about only two things I could examine, wall panel next to ship locker, and broken fuel, the fuel might have been after I started up the AI though. Examining was very difficult and ineffective. After I beamed down to a planet though, it seemed to be more like a dead zone of sorts, I couldn't examine past my character to the right side, though it might just be more "dead zone" for examinations here and there.... Similarity though, it seems that examinations are now off, in a much wider hitbox of sorts, than ideal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I left the cursor where it is after examination in the screenshots. Sometimes I can get examinations though, sometimes I can't, I can't say for certain why.

-All coal.
    You may have noticed from the screenshots, all the ores in the area are coal. I examined a ways to the left and right, found only one real dungeon but, I didn't to any extensive exploring. The only reason I have silver and iron bars is because I found them in chests. I guess at the moment, ore generation was switched to pure coal?

-No death events.
    Some creatures at times fail to perform a death event. The above screenshots are actually also the beam down point, just below the cliff to the left of the cliff is where a boss likes to hang out. I attempted it a few times, as I died several times before eventually, I did kill it. The death glitch however, isn't just on this boss, it happened on another creature in the same world too. But, there's a few sub-topics here.
    ~I know it's a new feature and I like the idea of more realistic behavior and all that.... But should a world boss really decide to flee at points?
    ~When death fails to occur, swinging swords at the creature does nothing. You fail to feel the sword hit, it's like it hit nothing, and it did, as the creatures health bar is at nothing, yet the creature remains and continues to try and eat your face for dinner. (I died a couple times because of that too, so I believe that would mean it is indeed a serious bug..)

-The void.
    While I started in the damaged ship with nothing working, I was in orbit over a planet. You could see that from the point of view. However, when I later *respawned* on the ship and ever since then, I could see neither planet in orbit or nearby planets in the backdrop. You may have noticed the lack of substance in the above screenshot, another one following.

-Need a hand.
    1 handed things or 2 1 handed objects may be fine, I haven't seen, but I have noticed with 2 handed weapons (broadswords) not being actively used, show up as only using one hand at a time, perhaps it's both arms being drawn behind the torso by mistake, but it's acting as such, 2 handed item being held, face left, you miss an arm. Facing right however, and you see that arm holding the sword.
    [​IMG]
    -Instant level 2
    I looked over at my position in the star system, as this is my starting position and all, I was surprised to notice, I actually started with threat level 2. I suppose relating to one update I read where the sectors were removed and merged together? There's a lack of check to start on a level 1 world.
    [​IMG]

2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

some world gen blocks arnt checking discruptions propley becouse of the novakids being added in
    stuff like dirt and moondust

all the other ores are underground (like they should) and wont show up on the surface

i had no proplems with monsters being invinsable maybe you have monsters that know recover

the void is a bug that the devs know about but arnt fixing till i needs to be fixed mostlikey

the 2hander bug hasnt been patched yet

the level 2 plantet thing as been in for awhile and is a bug

3. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

I did actually find more than coal beneath the planet surface after my post... :p
    I don't believe so, because the creature was invincible and wouldn't be hit, sound/graphics weren't displayed, the health bar displayed it had no health remaining, and it continued to perform moves that ended up killing me several times. So, it was like it had 0 or < health so the event failed to trigger once and wouldn't again as such. That's what I'm assuming anyways based on what happened...
    In relation to the novakid description check, that makes sense because it does feel like it's just neglecting certain blocks all together. It's not the case however, if I click elsewhere and move around a bit, I can get the description for the same block/object. Unless it's related to the overly long range description retrieval and describing another block nearby instead... (Which would be just as absurd anyways.)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  4. While any feedback is appreciated, submission of bugs from the nightly build are not necessary. There are quite a few systems being worked on and due to the nature of the deployment (pushing from Git on a timer, regardless of what's there) it's likely it'll push things that are incomplete or still being worked on. If you'd like to discuss nightly findings further, you should do so here.

5. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

I didn't know there was a topic for that, I find it strange to be in general discussion too really. Thank you for the link.
    I figured that wether or not it's a nightly build, you'd like to have a list of known bugs and such regardless. Thank you.

6. Really it's about drawing the distinction between whats a bug and whats intentionally broken. That line isn't something we can really determine since we only have half the information.

7. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

Kinda.... Why I posted everything to begin with because "I don't know what they know, but they do!" So, post everything, they can sort it out, they give me a gold star for being so supportive! :D"
    jk :p But that is the general idea. Because if it's not reported in the first place, it just might have been a bug that they don't know about. ;)

8. Tiy was basically saying, if it's in the nightly, it's best to just assume they know about it. xD

9. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

Ok.... So in that case it's best to assume nighties is just for those who are impatient with the next update and want to see what's new? :p Doesn't make the most sense to me, I understand why they say that because, it is indeed unfinished I'd imagine, but wit hthat said I'll drop the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.