[Bug/Issue] Horse's "hitbox" inconsistency

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Shiranui, Mar 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Shiranui

Shiranui Void-Bound Voyager

Hello!
    Riding your horse would be more satisfying if it would have the same hitbox as your character.

I often find myself stuck in some paths that you have no trouble walking at foot. Like going on the right of the small pond on our farm for example.

• lolyeahgames

lolyeahgames Void-Bound Voyager

I would politely have to disagree. I think that the bigger hitbox of the horse balances the increased speed that the horse provides. Game design is all about balance, and I appreciate how CA has been so meticulous about it.

• Saibara

Saibara Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think the horse is balanced without the rather inconsistent hitbox. You have to get off to do stuff, you cannot take it everywhere, it is not available from the start (and when you get it, you kinda need the added speed), and you have to remember where you "parked" it. Right now, the hitbox is the same on the X axis and is only "double" the player's on the Y axis. It kinda feels unintended to me. Balancing isn't as much of an issue in single player games, anyhow, and it would just be a little more comfortable, especially since you cannot move buildings once you placed them.

Shiranui likes this.
        • Shiranui

Shiranui Void-Bound Voyager

I could care less if it only affected paths outside your farm. But I don't think this has anything to do with "balance", I find this thing to be more of an inconsistency.
          Your horse can go through a gate (1 tile), or a path between the edge of the farm and a building that is 1 tile wide but at the same time you can't go through between two pieces of furniture separated by a 1 tile gap. say: (stone fence) gap (lamp post)
          It's like furniture or some terrain assets take more space than they should.

I'm not against not being able to cross every path with your horse but at least be it more consistent and logical.

Edit: Thanks Saibara you seem to have found the core of the problem, my 1 tile paths i can cross all are horizontal and those I cannot like at the right of the pond or between 2 furniture on my farm are vertical.

If a moderator could move this thread to support, it would seems it is rather a bug than a feature addition request.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
          • Dark1x

Dark1x Void-Bound Voyager

This really bothers me, horse always have 2 horizontal and 1 vertical tile hitbox regardless of where the horse is facing.
            It would be consistent if horse always had 2*2 or 1*1 hitbox, OR 2*1 hitbox was depending on direction.

• Tyrian

Tyrian Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The horse is definitely supposed to be faster than walking, not as fast as walking, but since there are so many obatacles that you can't get past with a horse and always have to get off to do anything, you often end up being slower than without the horse, especially if you consider that just about everyone who has a horse also has the minecarts available.

• frank123mj

frank123mj Poptop Tamer

I think the worst bug or intended feature of the horse is the fact that you have to get down of him to do almost everything, like talking to villagers.