1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Bug: Frame rate?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Markie32, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the 4winds

the 4winds Void-Bound Voyager

I was having the same problem but will try the solutions listed. Thanks!

2. Markie32

Markie32 Void-Bound Voyager

3. MrWubWub

MrWubWub Yeah, You!

AMD Radeon HD 6500
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.40ghz
    8 GB of Ram
    And starbound has shit frames for me GG

4. dylstew

dylstew Phantasmal Quasar

Well, not nevermind, turns out that when I''m in for example: An apex building or if I put the zoom level lower, my fps drops a lot. like, below 30 sometimes and that's very bad.

5. rakn8

rakn8 Space Hobo

Signed up just to post. I've tried all fixes I have previously seen (regedit steam's compatibility, admin privs, etc) and the fix that worked for me was to update my geforce's drivers to the latest *beta* drivers. I don't know if this will help anyone else in their search for better frames, but it cleared up my issues significantly. I thought it ridiculous an i7 2860M and a geforce 675M would have any issues whatsoever hardware-wise running this game. Just thought I would share and hope this helps some people. Good luck hunting and happy gaming!

Markie32 likes this.
  6. DirtyPaul

DirtyPaul Void-Bound Voyager

thank you this is what worked for me

7. Oculemon

Oculemon Starship Captain

AMD Radeon HD 7950
    i5-2400 3.3GHz CPU
    8 GB RAM

fps plummets in dungeons/villages and fluctuates sporadically as well

8. dylstew

dylstew Phantasmal Quasar

When I'm fullscreen I get better FPS but the mouse has some weird acceleration going on making it very hard to do anything. I'm not sure if I want to try beta drivers tough, once the beta drivers got me in trouble :(

9. Gränsfors

Gränsfors Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, If you're playing in windowed mode you can try to disable V-sync in starbound.config file located in \Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound it helped me a bit. If you want you can also experiment with other settings in there and for example set your own zoom level.

10. t1mzz

t1mzz Space Hobo

I'm also fighting with some bad fps issues and game crashes :(
    My specs are:

i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz
    16GB Ram
    Geforce GTX 670

It should work with those specs perfectly but unfortunately it doesn't. :(
    My game keeps crashing when i switch from Starbound to Windows desktop and also crashes when i exit the game (Save and exit).
    But that is not the only problem. The main problem which is kinda annoying is the fact that my Starbound has fps drops... On the Spaceship i alsways have constantly 60 fps... When i left the spaceship and teleport myself to the "world" the fps are not constantly anymore. When i go to the left OR to the right then it drops to 30/40/50/60 fps. When i stop moving it goes up to the fine 60fps again. It seems to me that some textures etc. have to be loaded AND this results to the fps drops.
    I tried a lot of things to solve this problem, even the tips which was nounced here in the thread. All of them haven't worked for me. :(
    I'm still looking forward for a solution in here!

best regards

t1mzz :)

11. t1mzz

t1mzz Space Hobo

Hey guys,

i found a solution which helped me to fix the FPS issue (for nvidia gfx users) and even the weird "Access violation Error [...]".
    First of all I'm running my PC with Windows 7 x64. So it only may help people with this OS.
    All you have to do is open your Windows registry via pressing the Windows key + R, type "regedit" in there and click on okay.
    After you did that you have to navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    If you are on this you have to delete the Steam.exe entry.
    This was the first step, let's check the secound now. ;)
    Go to the Starbound folder where you can find the starbound.exe and starbound_opengl.exe, remove the starbound.exe (make a backup of the starbound.exe before ur removing it) ant then rename the starbound_opengl.exe to starbound.exe... Right click now on both (starbound.exe and launcher.exe) and remove the property to run it as an administrator.
    If youd id this we are coming to the final step:
    Open your nvidia Control Panel and deactive the thread optimization!
    That's it :)

best regards,

t1mzz :p

12. YMCHTT

YMCHTT Void-Bound Voyager

Any fix for that for mac ?
    Would be very helpful

13. Mersadeon

Mersadeon Space Spelunker

Ok, so for me NONE of the solutions has worked - I am getting 5-12 FPS once I am down on a planet, and 15-20 FPS on the ship. The only solution I couldn't try out is the "GeForce Beta Drivers" since I just couldn't find them. Please help?
    It's a laptop, so it isn't too powerful.
    My graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce GT 620M (and technically an Intel HD Graphics 3000).

14. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

laggy for me too. However, they said that the games not optimized here in stage one, but will be worked on in stage 2.

15. Purzix

Purzix Void-Bound Voyager

Source please?

16. Yogolo

Yogolo Orbital Explorer

Same with me, I even created a thread like this. Seems that it needs to be fixed

17. Nukularshades

Nukularshades Orbital Explorer

So far all I've seen is mac and windows 7 users having lag issues, my friend just has a laptop, but says that the game runs amazingly well, and he has windows 8.
    I'm assuming it might just not be optimized for anything other than windows 8 yet, so I'll just have to wait it out.

18. CaptainRick

CaptainRick Void-Bound Voyager

Hey guys, this helped me A TON. I hope this helps you.
    1. COMPLETELY EXIT OUT OF STEAM.
    2. Go into the steam directory
    3. Find Steam Apps > Common > Starbound.
    4. Assuming you're a windows users (others, open your folders), open starbound_opengl.
    5. Profit.
    If the loading screen takes a while, just be patient.

IMPORTANT: STARBOUND UPDATES ARE VIA STEAM, YOU MUST OPEN STEAM TO UPDATE YOUR NEW STARBOUND.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  19. Shadowx101

Shadowx101 Space Hobo

Windows 7 Ultimate
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    Geforce GTX 670 FTW 2GB edition
    16GB ram

Plz tell me that this computer CAN'T suck...I play bf4 in ultra...I should be able to play Starbound. And I understand it's beta but if there is a way to fix this that'd be awesome!

20. Lechuck465

Lechuck465 Space Hobo

Found a fix, I believe.

Alter your ZOOM rate in the OPTIONS menu.

Things get a hell of a lot better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.