Broadcast Station 19 -- Lucrative Opportunitities

Discussion in 'Corporations Archive' started by nababoo, Jul 12, 2013.

1. “Computer, standard area coordinates.”

“Approaching the destination system. Approximately four minutes to establishment of visual contact.”

“Good. Pull her out of warp.”

The computer obliged despite the unusual order. The captain’s crewmate, however, was not so disposed towards mindless obedience.

“Now, captain? It’ll take around a day for us to reach the system with our impulse engines.”

“There are more factors at play than I would like to think, Keysha, and I’m not going to be another repeat of a Inikblow Stargate incident. Let those damn Novakid raiders have that distinction.”

Keysha returned to her work as auxiliary systems manager. Trust and respect was something to be greatly valued aboard space vessels, especially one in wild territory such as this. The captain was probably one of three passengers aboard the ship that had more than a passing acquaintance with Sordin space.

The ship slowed and the stars emerged from their featureless blurs. The constellations around this area were different, as always, though there was a greater number of red stars around the area, she noted.

Soon the captain, cool and daring as always, had managed to ‘find’ the gravity well of a planet-sized black hole, using the gravitational energy that the ergosphere provided to jettison themselves forward several million kilometers.

“Visual contact established.” The computer’s laconic voice drummed through their heads. Keysha could almost make out a sense of excitement in the normally unperturbed captain as he made his way to the helm. He stood, hunched over the screen for several seconds, before he pulled himself back up. With a twinge of anger, too, she noted.

“Helm, prepare weapon systems. Sons of plasma... should’ve known better than to trust them.” Then, in a larger voice to the rest of the repurposed freighter’s crew, he spoke, “Certain... enterprising individuals from the Ezema Sector are here. Blast them out of the way and set up the proximity mines. Yellow alert, prepare for combat.”

Keysha managed to intercept his path as he walked off the bridge. “Any specifications... sir?”

He obliged to the curious astronaut. “The Novakid’s made known the exact date of the decay of the automated defense above the planet.”

“So... what’s so vital about it, exactly?”

The captain cursed himself for not letting some of his senior crew members deeper into his plan. “It’s a vault planet. Ancient, filled with who knows what kind of technological advances. News reporting stations, strip miners, tech hunters, they’ll all be searching up and down the place. Idiots,” he breathed. “They’ll be swarming the planet and slaughtering each other by the thousands. Not the best way to introduce galactic politics to the locals.”

“Interesting theory, but there are certain broadcasts...”

The vault planet of Seria, long considered the hidden jewel of the fractured Sordin Commonwealth, had been discovered a few months before. The discovery sparked consternation among the more externally-minded citizens, but it was short lived -- orbital defenses were discovered to be in place, guarding the secrets that lay on the surface. It died down and soon the galaxy had returned to its bickering. However, there were those that kept a close watch... they discovered patterns of the systems that eventually pointed to their demise within a short period of time.

And, of course, a band of Novakid raiders stole it.

So here you are, a collection of enterprising corporations ready to exploit and profit, with a whole new planet, packed with resources and who-knows-what technological advances, along with the native flora and fauna, ready for some good ol’ extraterrestrial slaughter.

You are to roleplay your corporation and interact with the planet as it advances through its lifetime. All of the events, anarchy, and inebriation that will follow the findings on the planet will be realistically simulated by me as possible. The interaction will take place in real-time.

Keep in mind that the importance of this is to stir up change -- alliances will form, perhaps some long-hated rivalries, and more than a few spies among the staff of opposing corporations will all gather together for the forum’s greatest pit of treachery as you can. Resources are secondary; social and political strife is primary. After all, what fun is it to rule an empire without blowing up a few xenos, anyways?

Well, enjoy yourselves, now. Squabble and bicker while I plot my takeover of the universe.

Clinically delivered:
    • Roleplay the discovery of the newly discovered vault planet Seria.
    • Keep in mind that strife and corporation relationships are the most important things at stake.
    • Use reason. None of the “10 billion dogs” business. Roleplay within reason.
    • Spark up some fun. Be as creative as you humanly can.
    • For posting, this thread would be mainly for “public” communications across the radio channel. Otherwise use PM’s and your own Corporation threads for more self-company-oriented actions (and for less clutter here).
    Periodic updates on the progress of the event in general will be posted here, from Broadcast 19 itself! Stay tuned.

Awesomized and Noc like this.
  2. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

*Walks around the planet*

Hmm, maybe I should set up a store here..

nababoo likes this.
  3. SimYouLater

SimYouLater Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"And so I conclude that a deal to have GECorp supply batteries to ElecToyz would be extremely beneficial to both companies." said Oliver Zehn, the CEO of both mentioned companies. The combined boards of directors, having met at the GECorp HQ on Wyka-II, were impressed with the plan.

Wyka-II was a small planet, but by no means backwater. It was in the center of one of the many human interspatial civilizations that had formed after the evacuation and destruction of Earth. Second only to Aim-IV in population, Wyka-II's largest city was easily visible from the 10-story building that housed GECorp's offices; it had been recently built on cheap land previously taken up by an old abandoned 24th century biosphere from pre-terraforming days.

"So gentlemen, do we have an agree-" The dual-CEO never finished the sentence when his GECorp secretary burst in. "Sir! Someone wants to talk to you immediately, and your CommLink was off." the floating pseudo-AI drone spoke.

"Tell them I'm in an important meeting." Mr. Zehn said, irritated.
    "It can't wait. It's about THAT."

"...I see." he said, an anxious look coming across his face. "I'll give you all some extra time to think it over. Something far more important has come up."

***​

In his office, Oliver sat back in his chair and answered the call from the leader of his surveillance team on Seria. "So what's the news?"

"It's... uh..." the team leader paused for a second. "Sir? Or are you his son."

"Oh, ha ha. If you must know, I was hit by a hovercar of all things yesterday. And only two days after that... incident... at the company picnic with the barbeque."

"I said I was sorry." the team leader defended. "How was I supposed to know Nullium was an isotope of hydrogen?"

"Regardless, I had to get another clone on short notice. And six figure salary or not, money can't make a newly formed backup clone quick-grow to the correct age any faster, so now I'm walking around in THIS while I wait for another backup clone to reach a perma-age of 25. Now why did you call me away from a very important meeting?"

"It's Seria. The defense system is gone. The whole galaxy will be here as fast as they can!"

"You're joking." Oliver took a look at the news feed on his content aggregator. "Do you know what this means?! The resources involved?! Wait... how long has it been since the defenses went down?"

"4 hours. The quantum entanglement connection is working great now that we figured out that those bolts weren't extras. Fortunately, nobody has actually arrived yet, save for some random individual muttering about placing a store here."

"I suppose it's far better than nothing. You and your team can take a paid vacation, you've earned it." He cut the connection and sent a message to his secretary. "Get me a mercenary force and SivCorp. We need to secure the platinum sources on that planet ASAP."

nababoo likes this.
  4. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

Interesting, very interesting. I think I would like to throw my hand into this, though, I would rather use a single character instead of a corporation. I should probably see if you'd be okay with that, Twyster nababoo, before I start writing tons of stuff only for it to be null. I plan on using my character Spectre, from my story *link below* (if you care for such things) The only problem may be he kind of has to live to actually start up my story. I'm thinking it would be some sort of pre-history to my story. (kind of a bit of what he did before in his timeline) If you make a decision go ahead and reply to this and I'll start churning out content. Peace.

Edit: Oops, I didn't pay attention and I thought you were the one who started the thread!
    (fixed)

5. SimYouLater

((So long as nababoo and M'aiq are okay with it, go ahead. I'm fine with it.))

6. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

((I'm fine with it, there needs to be SOME customers, I own a general store!))

7. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Does anybody need a militia to guard their outposts? The Novakid always seem to cause trouble around here...

8. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

I might need some security for my store. 2-3 people, depending on how much it costs.

9. [I'd be fine with such an action, as long as that person isn't "Invincible-Man" or some crap like that. It usually takes a downturn once such a thing is even presented :p]

[Also, I'd personally prefer it if you guys were to do more of the plotting and planning, similar to how Twyster excellently did it. I'll try to have something up about the actual planet within a day or so (summer productivity +15%). Sorry about that, should've prepared that in advance and written it down :rofl:]

10. SimYouLater

Back in the boardroom of GECorp, the top executives of both the hosting company and ElecToyz looked glumly at the news...

GeneriCorp declares bankrupcy!

"As you know, GeneriCorp was the largest, most active corporation of the pre-recession economy..." Mr. Zehn said. "And it seems they are officially gone, along with hundreds of others. Currently, there are only a handful of businesses in operation."

It was true. MegaPixel Credit Union was barely hanging on, their bailout funds untouched. ElecToyz was looking at taking a loan out of said funds, but they were still unsure. GECorp was one of the largest in operation, with a small headquarters and a couple other facilities, and they were riding the highest with over 8 million pixels to their name. SivCorp was also seemingly doing well, but rumors were going around about the validity of the result (14.2 million pxl income) of their opaque accounting process; this could also spell bad news for GECorp, who had gained their current funds from a deal with them. Desert Star was even more dubious, having no public record of their transactions.

The Intergalactic Stock Exchange had been a dismal failure so far, with only 3 of the above corporations actually registering. And similarly, the ExtraNet VR Advert Plaza sat vacant, the virtual billboards free of ads.

"There is talk that corporations are old hat, that our glory days are over. I aim to prove them wrong."

nababoo likes this.
  11. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

"The only problem may be he kind of has to live to actually start up my story. I'm thinking it would be some sort of pre-history to my story."

"has to live"

"live"

>Implying that he has to infact be "invincible" to stay canon to my story.

12. SimYouLater

((Not necessarily. What you are thinking of is "Plot Armor" caused by "Doomed By Canon". (Look up the tropes :) ) What he's thinking of is godmoding.

My suggestion? Pause writing your story, have thinks like disfiguring scars, character development and past relationships build up in this RP, then when it's all over write those factors into your story.))

13. [I would highly recommend separating the two, as there can be some complications that may usually arise. First of all, you would have to stall the story for however long this event is going to take (and possibly others if you want to participate in potential future events as well), which would probably turn into an infinitely long hiatus.

Also, what would happen, say, malicious and sentient kitchenware were to tear him limb to limb? Or missiles. Or lasers. Or any other lethal weaponry, which is surprisingly prevalent for such a galaxy of "peace".]

14. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

*Is listening to a TV*

Damn, GeneriCorp got bankrupt? I better keep safe.... Increase prices by 5%!

LazerEagle1 likes this.
  15. Broadcast One:

HOST: “Hello and greetings again! This is Broadcast 19, providing any willing listeners with truthful and corporation-free voice! Running on frequencies near hydrogen all the way up to 0.78 nanometers, we’re ready for some talk. I’m here with my co-host Allan the Glitch. Let’s get this started.

“First of all, Seria. Lotsa y’guys may know the place. It’s known for the treasures that lay below the surface, more about that later. The defense network just fell, and thanks to the contributions of...”

BYSTANDER: “Howdy!”

“... that mass of plasma and her friends, we’ve brought the news to you as fast as possible. Allan’s hacked into some of the orbital satellites, penetrated the carbon dioxide barrier, and it’s now doing some scans of the surface.”

ALLAN: “It’s an interesting planet. The geology’s completely inconsistent, rivers messing with drainage, trees growing in deserts, and most notably the twelve-inch velociraptors of Earth origin somehow located on the surface. The flora and fauna are extremely hostile and deadly. Poisonous wasps are a common danger, along with large-sized beasts, numerous released bio-weapons, and an army of robots currently besieging one of the human’s last resistance posts. The social impact of the outside influences on this system will be most amusing to watch.”

HOST: “Not like you could expect something else. The place is full, and I mean full of materials. Hematite deposits, uranium in the air and ground, gold flecks, and even the remains of bunkers are full of that Sordin alloy all the manufacturers were after before the recession.

“Weather system’s pretty regular. The only anomaly detected so far is a massive hurricane that’s more or less scattered the remains of a vault all over, hence the weird-ass animals. The geography of the area is rather bland, too. A massive desert’s covering half the landmass in the southern hemisphere [full of raw materials and a collection of mini-vaults], the oceans are pretty much polluted beyond repair[floating flotsam and some platforms set up], and grasslands and forests covering the rest of the land available [Largest concentration of vaults]. Two continents, one desert the other the grass we’ve mentioned.

“And finally, the part you’ve all been waiting for -- exploitation opportunities. Yes, we are a galaxy of adventurers and conniving snakes, and this is going to solve a lot of that desire for a while. Agro-technology, blueprints for capital ships, terraforming devices, and who knows what else. Prepare for some anarchy, non-enterprising individuals, because this is going to upset the galaxy.”

ALLAN: “To cover further topics, we shall be discussing the diatribe of the FormEX government against the Iruyit cult.”

HOST: “And after that, some stuff about the new stock exchange that’s been set up.”

ALLAN: “To initiate the round of talks, we must first examine the effect of rambling upon local wildlife...”

[Invent the terrain as you see fit. Nothing major, feel free to strip mine and leave space-visible scars.]

16. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

*M'aiq is on the Northern Hemisphere, climbing a hill in the forest area*

*Walks around with a large backpack, and a stick*

Hmm, I should really hire a socut...

*Sees the grasslands*

God damn, this place looks perfect to create a settlement! If only we had guards...

((We should get someone to make a map))

17. LazerEagle1

((Lol it sounds like where I live IRL... :p))

18. LazerEagle1

Desert Star, Inc. is at your service! We have guards on standby and can get them to Seria by tomorrow! Do you have a number of guards that you need, in specific?

19. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Oh, I forgot I had my Intergalactic Messenger with me! I'd like 5 guards, just for now. Also, after I start creating a safe area, you should set up a base here.

20. LazerEagle1

I most certainly will set up a base here!

And okay, 5 guards. I'm still thinking about how to price this, as most people ordering order in bulk so they get a discount per individual solider... Is 750 Pixels a fair price?