Bring Back Lesser Restrictions on Inventory and other Inventory Management Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Xylia, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I remember a time that when the first tab of the inventory was full, anything looted would go into the second tab if there was room, and then the third tab if the 2nd tab was full too.

But... at some point since early Koala days, this changed. Now, if your first tab is full, but you have plenty of room in the 2nd, an item will just lay on the ground and you need to manually move items from tab to tab to free up room in your first and second tabs as you get showered with ridiculous amounts of inventory clutter.

I'd like it to return to how it was -- if your first "miscellaneous" tab is full and you pick up something that would normally go in that tab, and if I have room in, say, the Furniture tab, it should go in the Furniture tab instead of laying on the ground where I might walk past it. This is especially annoying when I come back from a long mining trip, and I smelt some bars down, but let's say I had 201 iron ore. I smelt the iron ore into bars, and now I have 100 iron bars but the 1 ore is still in my first tab (which is full). The bars get dumped on the ground, which I might not notice right away and then I go to make something out of Iron and the game tells me I have no Iron... then I gotta stop, move junk around and then pick the bars up again.

Also, blocks of different color/texture annoy me.

Could we implement a system where if you drag&drop one block-type onto another, if their names match, the one that has more takes over? For example if I have brown and purple dirt... both are called "Dirt"... let's say I have 50 brown dirt and 100 purple dirt and I drag&drop the brown onto the purple, could I then have 150 Purple Dirt? Or perhaps maybe it so that the one you picked up with the mouse (in this case, brown) is the one that results (which would give you 150 brown dirt... if you want purple, pick the purple and drop it on the brown).

That would go a long way to resolving inventory clutter, especially in Tab #2.

LtBlujay, Toporonin and STCW262 like this.
  2. Fairy Pinkett

Fairy Pinkett Void-Bound Voyager

How about adding sub-inventory categories?
    If you combine all your dirt under the inventory tab'dirt.
    When you select dirt it gives you a small slide out extra inventory menu, which lists all the differant types of 'dirt' in that stack.
    Aka if you want to go retrieve your 9000 purple dirt - you go to the top of it and select it.
    This would need alimit like of maybe no more than 5 unique versions of one block. Aka can't have blue/pink/red/yellow/brown AND gray dirt. The gray dirt just won't be picked up.

LtBlujay likes this.
  3. Derpislav

Derpislav Big Damn Hero

All of my yes.

The tab thing has never been an issue for me, to be honest.

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I don't see how not, because if Tab #1 is full, your character refuses to pick up ore, bars, or anything else that goes in Tab#1 if you didn't already have some of that item on you somewhere. Then you have to stop, and move stuff from Tab #1 to Tabs #2 and #3 manually and THEN your character will start picking up stuff again.

But then it would help if this game didn't throw SO MUCH JUNK at you. I get tired of constantly dropping flares, or weak weapons that NPCs drop (99% of the time, they are worse than last tier's weapons)....

5. Toporonin

Toporonin Pangalactic Porcupine

Now even worse, as you can't even move your stuff between your tabs. Now moving furniture to decorate new settlements is a pain. Have to take rounds back to ship and back on planet. While all of your other 4 tabs are free...
    This is a game about having a lot of loot on your hands, so this restriction by type is not the best choice. I'd like to have the original inventory mechanic back.