Modding Discussion Brainstorming Ideas for a Gun Expansion Mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Uacher, May 22, 2018.

1. Uacher

Uacher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello,

I'm currently brainstorming ideas for a mod to expand a little bit on how the game's firearms work in general.

One of my main objectives is to integrate the way things work in the mod into the game's lore in a seamless manner.

My current interpretation of how the firearms work in the game is that the guns contain a micro 3D printer that produces the ammunition and feeds it into a sort of internal magazine which is then chambered and ready to fire.

While I don't want to go into too much detail and over complicate things more than what I'm probably going to anyway, I'm still stuck trying to figure out what kind of propellant the guns could use.

My current idea is to use some sort of highly compressed gas that is ignited by a spark produced by the weapon's power source.

That is one idea but I'd like some more, any thoughts?

2. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

If the guns are purely energy based a compact electromagnetic rail gun would make sense.

3. Uacher

Uacher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Like in Mass Effect? That is another good idea. Need more.

Thanks.

4. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Mass Effect, I had been meaning to play that one when I have the opportunity. I just thought of that off the top of my head.

I have few more that spring to mind.

Second idea that has sprung to mind. A high air pressure blast; a small but powerful vacuum fills a chamber with air releasing the air launches the projectile.

A similar idea is a vacuum that collects certain volatile gases from the air, the gas is ignited to propel the projectile.

(For a more Steam-punk inspired) water vapors are collected and heated in a chamber to create pressure.