1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Bosses, Bosses, Bosses ...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Zertryx, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Zertryx

Zertryx Space Hobo

One thing that I have found that this game lacks and is in dire need of is More Boss Battles.

One of the things that make games like these more interesting is boss fights, it gives us something to ultimately use all these neat and awesome gizmos and weapons on that we find. Sure killing mobs and stuff is fun in all but most things you can end pretty quickly, but Boss Fights add that extra "UMPH" to a fight that normal mobs don't. There is Excitement, tactics and a sense of real accomplishment when defeating a boss.

Please as much as I love all the cool neat little things you guys put into this game, I just hope SOON you guys think about adding more Boss Content

DukeLebowski likes this.
  2. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

I don't know, like programming a boss takes 50 times the effort of programming an enemy that only know one attack
    It is so painful for myself to say this but, it took starbound at least months to develop a boss battle and most of them only lasted 5-15 minutes

3. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Well the current nightlies, from what I've heard, have multiple more bosses. Though I can't back that up with my own evidence since I can't figure out how to actually progress the missions in this version >.>

Anywho, next big update is the Story update, so you should expect a bunch* of bosses I imagine.

*Bunch is subjective.

4. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

There's seven boss battles on the nightly right now;

Erchius Horror serves as the first boss, required to fix your FTL drive. Much easier than on Stable.
    Dreadwing serves as an optional boss in the Outpost. Still weak and easily beaten.
    Ixodoom serves as the boss of the Floran Artifact mission. Big spider, big guts. Nuru helps kill it.
    Nox serves as the boss of the Hylotl Artifact mission. She has a stupid hairstyle and fights like a lame ninja.
    Kluex Avatar serves as the boss of the Avian Artifact mission. It has four attacks, all magic in design. MAGIC. IN SPACE.
    Big Ape Hologram serves as the boss of the Apex Artifact mission. It's a hologram; Big Ape is a lie. Uses a bunch of easily dodged attacks.
    Bone Dragon serves as the boss of the Glitch Artifact mission. It's buggy and super weak right now. Nox rides on its head.
    The Ruin isn't available yet. It serves as the final boss of Starbound's story.

Not sure if we'll get any other bosses. That stupid Shockhopper robot is gone.

#BringBackFatalCircuit
    #DeathToPenguinScum

5. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Well since I had to use admin commands to get into the missions I probably had entirely the wrong equipment per level, and forgot to turn admin mode off a couple times (now I get why I breezed through areas >.>) but here are my general thoughts on the bosses, barring damage output because well, I was invulnerable. Ooops.
    More detailed boss descriptions and a couple random thoughts:

Pewpew Lazers (Erchius Horror): No clue. Skipped this mission since I've done it so many times and didn't know it had been altered.

Deadwing (Dreadwing): Got the mission. Couldn't talk to penguinman again to actually enter it. Also a no-show as a result.

Gross Bug (Ixodoom): I had 2nd or 3rd tier items when I went to this mission, and it went well. Its attacks haven't changed much, though it does seem to spawn it's annoying 1hp minions almost constantly now, though only one or two at a time. The boss continues to benefit from a 2x zoom, though that's probably to do with my screen size more than anything. Overall, not so different. If you liked this boss before you'll probably like it now.

Ninja McCultist (Nox): Sometimes difficult to hit due to her average humanoid size, and teleporting and distortion-sphere mode don't help that. Some of her attacks can be sudden and take you by surprise during your first fight, and the arena is relatively small. Her shield is annoying since it extends the time the fight takes by quite a bit, though she doesn't seem to have a ton of health when you do whittle it down. Could probably be challenging.

Heresy Statue (Kluex Avatar): Seems to have a predictable pattern, though a fun one. Lots of interesting mechanics that are somewhat reminiscent of the Horror's puzzle-boss status, but instead you can actually directly attack it. Has two forms, and both have a considerable amount of health. In general seems to be a slower-paced boss, but still enjoyable.
    Personally I don't care about the "space magic" since we already have that in staves, and besides, this is a Science-Fantasy game - we have intelligent life made of self-contained nuclear fusion, golems made of [REDACTED], and the Avian crystal resonance in general is magicky. (Those crystal torches apparently last 1000 years.)

Big Rage Face (Big Ape Hologram): Easy to dodge? By Kluex's Holy Back Feathers, no! Of course, it probably doesn't help that I was experiencing the good old everything-but-you-is-moving-at-5-frames-per-second issue though, to be fair. He has a bunch of bullet hell attacks, and sometimes will chase you himself or yell at you which is just plain rude. You can't harm him directly, even though his health bar will show up on your screen (hope they fix that - it shouldn't be there in the first place since you don't hurt him) and instead have to target 4 projector drones, which, far as I can tell, speed up each time you destroy one. They also distort the hologram in cool ways when you destroy them, which as a fan of glitch art, I liked. Anyway, the last one was pretty annoying to hit, though none of them have too much health. Overall fun boss.

Ninja & Skeleton Robot Dragon (Skeleton Dragon): Am I the only one who realized it was a robot back when it was still summoned with the Decoy Princess placeholder item? No?
    Ah, anyway, so this boss, far as I can tell, isn't complete, especially since it still drops the old codex and progression item. It seems to have pretty simplistic AI currently which boils down to "hover, breath fire". The constant cultist spawns are mildly annoying too. Not much to say here since there's nothing to talk about yet.

Also, I much preferred the Shockhopper fight to the Fatal Circuit one. While I don't like that penguins are being shoved everywhere because everything is (apparently) better with penguins, the mechanics of the fight were more interesting imo. If they take him out I at least hope they replace him with another, equally or more interesting boss. *shrug*