Boss Boss Progression and Optional Bosses

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by budsygus, Dec 19, 2013.

1. budsygus

budsygus Pangalactic Porcupine

I've punched through all the available content and I like what the game will be eventually. I wanted to get some feedback on an idea for the bosses because I've heard a lot of complaint about the current system.

I think the first boss being summoned by a distress beacon is perfect. It fits within the tone and setting of the game, and it's done on the starter planet. I like it.

Bosses after that, though, should be (and possibly will already be) found as parts of quests. The Inactive Robot could be found because an NPC on the starter planet thanks you for destroying the Penguin Ship and gives you a clue on where to find parts to repair or upgrade your current ship. You get coordinates, head to the system, and work your way through five dungeons to get the parts needed to craft the robot. Maybe each dungeon is on a different planet within a solar system. Or a different moon of the same planet. The point is, get people out exploring and traveling for more than just curiosity.

Bosses after that would be a similar thing. NPCs giving you tips, and you actually head somewhere to check out what's going on. You find the bosses as part of your exploration rather than crafting them wherever you want to. These "Boss Planets" would need some individual attention from the devs to ensure they get the right pieces in the right places and have the correct NPCs on them and whatnot. Everything else is procedurally generated and open for exploration.

I like the idea of hunting down bosses on different planets, and you could even have different optional bosses of the same level drop different gear to create a sort of branching storyline (sort of). Maybe one set of armor (or a key ingredient to craft it) protects from fire and makes exploring volcanic planets easier, but doesn't have as high a defense stat otherwise. A necessary part to a special gun could be had by beating another boss you hear about via NPC interactions. This would give people options to either craft their weapons by ore-grinding, or get a bit of a jump by beating a boss.

Let me know what you think.

2. Koyomi

Koyomi Aquatic Astronaut

3. FoxDE

FoxDE Void-Bound Voyager

I think optional bosses is a great idea. I'm thinking more like final fantasy though instead of linear progression. They should have their own version of the ultima/omega weapons. Not exactly like them of course. Just something extra that is incredibly hard to fight, that you need all of the best gear to even stand a chance against it. Something that takes multiple players to fight, like crawmerax the invincible. Something that'd take 30 minutes or so to take down, strategy necessary, maybe even different weaknesses to different elements so that multiple people are required to use a type of weapon to fight it.