1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Boss Fighting Techniques Pro Tips

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Lavender Aces, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Lavender Aces

Lavender Aces Space Spelunker

My suggestion is to stay off the ground as much as possible. If you are dashing about on the ground, the missiles will direct to the floor, causing them to explode around your feet. If you are jumping, they come at you horizontally, hopefully miss you, then explode in the wall far behind you.

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

See, the main issue is that I generally stay close to the walls to take advantage of Big Ape's electric attack's blind spot and to give me time to prepare when he charges.

Lavender Aces likes this.
  3. Gobi Slave

Gobi Slave Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, earlier I mentioned using the Evil Eye against bosses. I just tested it with the bone dragon and it kinda sucks against it. The Doomcannon and Ferozium staff are much better alternatives. (of course, you better be able to tank pretty well if you're using the ferozium staff)

4. grobe

grobe Void-Bound Voyager

TBH I didn't find this thread very helpful, as most of the suggested weaponry (at least for the first few bosses), isn't actually available at the point where players are meeting the bosses for the first time. It's probably only of use to those who are farming the bosses later on..
    But then I suppose the OP implied that.

5. Gobi Slave

Gobi Slave Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, I suppose a bunch of guys who are used to the late/endgame equipment won't be as helpful, at least for weaponry. I do like the tips about strategy for Big Ape, though. He was giving me some trouble, too.

As far as advice for first encounters goes, Here's what I found useful:

Erchius Horror: Patience is a virtue. Don't run though the beams unless you're dripping with health items. You should get a sniper rifle in the mining facility, use that to fight the mutants that it spits out and avoid touching them at all costs. The beams are pretty predictable once you watch it for a second, but the mutants run on their own individual agenda, they don't follow a strictly planned attack pattern, they just follow you and try to kill you, so make sure to deal with them.
    Suggested weapon: Sniper Rifle, bandage paired with shield.
    Suggested food: Corn cobs, any cooked meat.
    Suggested minimum armor: whatever you can get.
    Suggested Tech: standard set (since you can't get anything better at this point), Blink dash or sprint for return fight.
    Additional note: Don't forget to find the translation wheel.

Ixodoom: Have a rocket launcher. At this point, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to get any level of equipment that you want (aside from upgrades), since you're now free to roam the stars. However, to keep your play more interesting, I'd recommend going no further than one tier of equipment above what you're facing. When the fight comes, eat an energy-boosting item (like fruit juice) and fill your food bar to get the full belly buff. Then, use the control button to move your viewpoint upwards so you can see the Ixodoom. After that, alternate between a rocket launcher (or any other good ranged weapon) and a melee weapon. Fire shots at the Ixodoom to crack its shell, then jump up to it and hit it as many times as you can. Don't forget to deal with the larvae, since Nuru won't take care of that for you.
    Suggested weapons: Rocket launcher, Broadsword with super spin slash, Spear with blade whirl (or flurry, but blade whirl is preferable), bandage paired with shield.
    Suggested food: Juices and jams, beakseed bread, corn cobs.
    Suggested minimum armor: Tungsten.
    Suggested Tech: Pulse jump or triple jump, spike ball for the dungeon.
    Additional note: I recommend against the use of axes and hammers in this fight. The Ixodoom will be hard to fight with their long charge times.

I'll put up some tips on the other bosses later.

6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

While having a good melee weapon when ixodoom is vlunerable is handy, also have an automatic weapon, preferably weapons with poison element for that touch of added damage.

Penguin UFO: deal with the adds on the ground first to get room with fighting the ufo. a sniper rifle helps here, as well as either timing a jump with his normal dive or bringing a shield. do not try to outrun its normal dive, you will lose.

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Here's a simple technique, although it requires you to have one of the boss drops already: Get a Damage III augment. Get perfect armor. Make ultimate juice. Get a Kluex Staff. Get another staff with the Energy Zone special. Apply the augment to your EPP. Drink the juice. Cast the energy zone. Stand in it while using the Kluex staff. Revel at your damage, which, by my estimation (which is that, since I can get about 20 shots charged just using the energy zone, and 12 shots normally, is that you'll be able to get 32 shots total charged), results in 27*1.3*4.6*1.2*32=6200 damage, enough to kill any story boss, including the Ruin. The charging will take 8 seconds while using the energy zone, and a further 4.8 seconds running off your own reserves, followed by 8 seconds of the charges releasing.