1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue borderless window is still broken, mouse can escape windowed

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by OrochiTabris, Jun 14, 2019.

1. OrochiTabris

OrochiTabris Big Damn Hero

Borderless window has been malfunctioning for as long as I can remember. I found a post mentioning it's been like this since 2013. I don't remember it ever working properly, and I've always run it in a window because of that. This wasn't ideal, since the mouse wasn't contained within the game window, which could result in moving the window and launching apps during gameplay.

Borderless window currently acts like fullscreen. The game fills the display, but alt-tabbing minimizes it. It should stay visible, just whatever app is alt-tabbed to should take focus.

Another odd, but not necessarily bad behavior, is that while borderless window is broken, it effectively provides a fullscreen mode that is compatible with 21:9 displays. The actual fullscreen mode stretches 1920x1080 out to 2560x1080. So it's worse than proper borderless window, but it's better than windowed and fullscreen.

That said, it would be nice if borderless could be fixed. It's been years. I'm not going to say it should be a fast or easy fix, I really don't know. But this is the only game I know that offers a borderless window mode that doesn't actually function like it's supposed to.

It would also be nice if windowed mode would keep the mouse inside the window, at least as an option.

2560x1080 support would probably also be nice for fullscreen, in case anyone wants to run it like that.

EDIT: Running into some problems with OBS that seem specific to borderless window.

Game capture works for all other games I've tried when using borderless window, but with Starbound it crashes the game and produces the following error (from Starbound, not OBS) if I tell it to capture Starbound specifically.
    [​IMG]

Game capture works if I set it to capture "any fullscreen application." So while it is a workaround, it's still not the way it should work. I'm also not sure if "fullscreen" in this context simply means any application that fills the screen, or if it's specifically detecting whatever is running in fullscreen mode. If the latter, it's more evidence of how borderless window isn't working properly.

The "limit capture framerate" option also crashes Starbound. Disabling "capture cursor" doesn't crash it, but it also has no effect as the cursor is still visible.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019