Books and Tomes of Knowledge: Weaponized

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Alternal, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

Ohhhh Cursed books would be sweet, have them act in that exact manner heheh.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  2. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Those arent cursed books, theyre books written in a language with protective runing to keep inquisitive tresspassing eyes out. Books written in Arcanic tend to be telepathic affairs, which is why protective runes are often implemented to obscure the writings. If you want curses, play around with violently different magics for awhile. I can guarantee you the turmoil caused would not only be worthy of a curse, but would also be worthy of several seals, craters, and about 15 books explaining why it was such a bad idea to implement crystal technology to storm magic.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  3. Alternal

Totally didn't read that right the first time hahah.
    See that's just awesome though. Maybe a little too in depth and "magical" for one Starbound item, but awesome none the less.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. Exxion

Exxion King Homestuck V

This is a very cool idea. I think I'll go make an EXXION SEAL OF APPROVAL now.

EDIT: Done. Sort of. It's... um... really bad.
    [​IMG]

WoxandWarf likes this.
  5. essence ocean

essence ocean Void-Bound Voyager

seems pretttyyy coool

WoxandWarf likes this.
  6. Alternal

DAAAAAAMN.
    Thank you!

Exxion likes this.
  7. Sypl

Sypl Tentacle Wrangler

I like this, only due to the fact that I could use an in-game Colonel Sassacres to kill things with.

Alternal likes this.
  8. Exxion

Exxion King Homestuck V

I JUST HAD AN AMAZING IDEA
    WHAT IF YOU COULD FIND BLANK WEAPON BOOKS (EXTRA RARE)
    AND THEN YOU COULD CHOOSE THEIR EFFECTS, SUCH AS ON-HIT DAMAGE, STRENGTH OF STATUS EFFECT, TYPE OF STATUS EFFECT, MAYBE EVEN NUMBER OF EFFECTS
    AND THEN THE ENERGY USAGE WOULD JUST BE DETERMINED BY THAT
    LIKE, A 1-DAMAGE, NO EFFECT SHOT WOULD USE ABOUT 1 ENERGY
    BUT A 99-DAMAGE, SUPER-FIRE-ICE-POISON-BLINDNESS SHOT WOULD USE LIKE A FULL ENERGY BAR

9. Exxion

Exxion King Homestuck V

You know I don't usually speak like that, right?
    REMEM8ER ME?

...Oh.

WoxandWarf and Alternal like this.
  10. Jingan

Jingan Void-Bound Voyager

I feel that this suggestion is somewhat "forced", it just feels like different ammos/status effects crammed into a book to make it "unique and fantasy" (book of axes and swords are both extremely similar to tomes found in castlevania:portrait of ruin). The stat boosts can already be done via tech i believe which could make the books overpowered and/or redundant

tome of axes and swords

i think a better more fitting way to implement this idea is to add some sort of augmentation to weapons.

11. Alternal

First off, nothing here is "forced". No different ammos, there is only pages, which are universal, each tome gives the different effects, just like different guns shoot in different ways.
    After watching the Castlevania video, I can say that nowhere in my description did I mention swords/axes shooting out of the books. Stat boots done by tech, sure, but stuff like armour would add a little more of a buff, and then these could easily add a tad more.
    As for your ida of augmentation, they are augmented, hence the second part of the book, that's the augment. These are their own weapon class for a reason.

12. Jingan

I feel that it is "forced" in the way that it is essentially a gun with a book sprite and that the ammo is just papers instead of projectiles. The reason why i said it would be better to augment existing weapons in the game is the fact that the guns are procedurally generated already, all that would be needed is some sort of slot on the weapons to add status effects. I honestly don't see the point in adding books that behaves like guns in a game that already has guns, perhaps a novelty weapon could be a book, but an entire weapon class?

13. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

I am quite much sure that weaponized books won't get into vanilla game without devteam rising accusations for hypocrisy, since supposedly magic and related stuff is right out, despite quite some following. Yes, I know, people may argue that the books and their effects work based on some technology but still - most will associate them with some mystical powers, which apparently disqualifies the whole idea right away.

Additionally, while big part of the community hoped for projectile weapons with their own ammunition, so far the only thing devteam informed us of was all kinds of weapons using energy reserve of player character or being melee - feel free to inform me if that changed.

14. Raiden Firewing

Raiden Firewing Void-Bound Voyager

I want Grimoir Weiss in Starbound! I don't care if there's magic or not, but if there are books as weapons I'll be pissed if I don't got my own cynical floating tome of omnipotent power.
    And don't you dare to say no to me, noone speaks in such a manner to Grimoire Weiss! His sole name is letting kindoms tremble in fear!

(Everyone who isn't getting the joke should go now and play Nier :p)

15. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

is very very very good suggestion i like it

16. Alternal

Well lets put it this way, sub machine guns work like assault rifles, and pistols work like rifles in many ways, if anything these are just another type of gun in that case.
    And besides, you've been focused completely on the ranged aspect of my suggestion, that's only half of the idea.
    As far as I've heard that has not changed, but that's not saying it could never be. As for the magic opinion, the only thing magical about them is that they contain knowledge, if you count knowledge as magical.
    Anyways, even if they're thought of as mystical, that's very different from magical. For example, one could look at stone henge and say that it is mystical, or even Egyptian tombs, the sheer size of them leaves a mystical mark on a viewer.
    Personally I'd like to see other sources of ammunition, I don't like expecting to see rocket launchers and pistols using the same source.

17. Jingan

but those are already in the game! and there could be different projectiles for each of those. So they could be somewhat unique in their own way when you compare them against each other. Your melee part would either be the book summoning a sword/axe/whatever like in the video i showed or the book being used as a weapon ... that has the same effect as using a melee weapon, so it wouldn't be unique other than a new sprite for the weapon.

I think a book could be done as a novelty weapon (zetta, castlevania-esque etc etc), but it shouldn't be an entire new weapons class imo. I think a better way to add more universal support of your idea would be perhaps add an augment book slot (or gadget) that changed your weapons behavior depending on what "book" you had equipped, an ice "book" would add ice trails and ice damage to both melee and projectiles. Having a custom slot would allow you to choose what type of projectiles you would like or what melee weapon you would like to have an added effect AND it would work with the weapons that are procedurally generated, having a book would replace your favorite gun or sword instead of making it better to use

i am going to let this topic go now