1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Blue Screen, lost saves.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sax von Saxon, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

I think there's a huge problem. With those machines. Because it doesn't happen on a machine that is functioning properly.

If one of our Oracle servers dies at work, we usually get to spend a full day attempting to recover it or restoring it from a backup.

If the Exchange server fails during a write, it can corrupt half of the message store.

You're asking for more robust error correction mechanisms than we get in our enterprise databases... for a $15 game.

There are things that MIGHT mitigate this, such as saving to a secondary file, but that doesn't help if the system bluescreens when the original file is being replaced with the new.

2. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I'm not asking for some super robust error correction, I'm asking if there might possibly be something in the game's code that could cause this on a small subset of a certain OS.

3. Sax von Saxon

Sax von Saxon Orbital Explorer

I can successfully recreate this error all day. It doesn't work how you think it does at all. Your character is in a temp file, when you save and quit it overwrites your current save. It's a file that floats around, but has no business doing so. You can figure this out easily. Start up your game, save it, reload, play for an hour normally, copy and paste your player folder somewhere like the desktop, then crash your system. Your file will be wiped, but your backup will be from an hour ago even though you copied it not 30 seconds prior. Stop arguing, you're dead wrong and not helping us fix this.

4. RvLesh

That's funny, in your original post, you said

That's a completely different issue from "the game doesn't save frequently enough."

5. Wildclaws

Wildclaws Aquatic Astronaut

Funny how the only time my pc has blue screened is when I play starbound. I have played other games for hours on my pc and nothing but I play starbound for one houre and I fucking blue screen two times.

6. Gun_Shy

Gun_Shy Void-Bound Voyager

I can add support to the Starbound bluescreen issue. I've been experiencing the same issue. My rig is fantastic, and I've never had any issues with it. I played Starbound for the first time, and I experienced my first bluescreen when Alt+Tabbing out, and then trying to reactivate fullscreen. I've had two bluescreens since then. Once when I had just exited Starbound, and once after I played Starbound, and then tried to shut my computer down.

Now, those last two seemed fishy, since they technically did not occur while I was playing Starbound, so I've been putting my computer through some rigorous testing to try and recreate the problem during sessions in which I have not opened Starbound at all.

I could not, no matter how hard I tried, replicate the blue screen. I ran a BUNCH of other Steam games (more demanding ones at that), Alt+Tabbed out of them, and messed around with fullscreen settings, closed them, reopened them and multitasked on top of all of that, shut down and restarted my computer numerous times. I never bluescreened.

TO BE CLEAR: I could care less about my character save files. That is not the central problem I want fixed. I just really want to stop bluescreening when I play this lovely, lovely game.

7. RvLesh

It is EXTREMELY unlikely, but it sounds like this might be some play between the DirectX bug and some driver you have loaded... next time you get a bluescreen (if you do), check the starbound.log.

There are also some BSOD viewers (NirSoft makes a free one, or Resplendence Software's "WhoCrashed") if you want to try and grab the error.

8. Gun_Shy

Yeah, I don't know. I have to agree that it seems extremely unlikely. That's why I have been so surprised. It doesn't make any sense to me that Starbound could even possibly cause my comp to bluescreen. I'm not intimate with the inner-workings of computers and programming language, but I am by no means computer illiterate. So I don't blame you for not believing us when we point at Starbound, as it makes just as little sense to me.

I have noticed that everyone complaining of this issue is using Windows 7 Ultimate (myself included). Let me ask this question to everyone having this issue: Is anyone here running a pirated copy of Windows? Let's be honest. I know I am! :whistle: I don't know if that could possibly have anything to do with it (I kinda doubt it), but I'm just trying to eliminate variables.

**Update**
    So I was on a server tonight. I was playing with this guy who just so happened to mention that he bluescreened playing Starbound. This is a thing. We would be foolish to further deny it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  9. Grenaid

Grenaid Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry for the bump, but I also just ran into this bluescreen with the new patch. Windows 8.1, and its been rock stable. I'd forgotten what blue screens looked like.

My world was up to about 4mb and I was able to fly back there by pulling the coords from the game directory. As soon as I got there though, it renamed it with a .fail. Same planet I knew, but none of my work was there obviously.

My sister is pretty upset; is there any way to recover the planet?

10. Cinderfox

Cinderfox Big Damn Hero

Confirming that a bluescreen killed my save file. (Edit: Windows 7)

Whether or not Starbound caused my bluescreen, my save files were wiped when it happened. I think it may have occurred because I tried to "Warp Home" without a home location specified; but whether this was the cause or coincidence, my save file is gone.

Well, not GONE gone. It's still there; a hexadecimally-titled file is still in the Player folder. But the game refuses to recognize that this file exists, and just shows me a blank character slate.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  11. mafiarat

mafiarat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My dedicated server's been blue screening when i run a starbound server for some time now.

I finally got around to using windows debugging tools to analyze a dump file from one of the blue screens.
    It specifically states the process starbound_serv caused a driver fault which then caused the blue screen.

I'm now researching a solution to the problem.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    Gun_Shy likes this.
  12. yukuai

yukuai Space Spelunker

Blue screen here too.
    Bye bye saved game, bye bye 30+ hours of gameplay.

And now everytime I launch Starbound after few minute a blue screen shows up

13. Gun_Shy

I have been backing everything up like CRAZY. I still bluescreen once a day. Never bluescreened until right after I started playing Starbound.

Now, however, I'm noticing a specific pattern. I only ever bluescreen anymore when I exit Starbound completely, and it happens as soon as the game closes out. It doesn't happen every time I quit Starbound, but the only time it happens is when I quit Starbound. And I always get the error: "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

Also, I run a server. However, I seem to be having this problem whether I'm running my server or not...

Could you please tell me how you're analyzing these dump files? It would be really helpful for me to know if it really is Starbound causing me this problem (even though I'm sure that it is).

14. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I don't know what he's using, but there's bluescreenview and whocrashed.

15. RvLesh

OK, I'm sick of reading about this nonsense.

If you have a minidump from a bluescreen, upload it somewhere.

It would be better if everyone experiencing this issue could put your minidumps up somewhere.

16. Gun_Shy

Hey, everybody. So I fixed my bluescreening issue. I tried running the following file:
    C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\starbound\_commonredist\directx\jun2010\dxsetup.exe

I haven't bluescreened since, and I've been playing A LOT.

It's like, first step in the official Starbound fixes thread. Which is right here:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/master-list-of-starbound-fixes-outdated.57854/

Don't know exactly why this works, but if you're looking at this thread...

!!!DO IT!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.