1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Blue Screen, lost saves.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sax von Saxon, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sax von Saxon

Sax von Saxon Orbital Explorer

So this has been happening since the latest update. When I host and play on my server with friends I get blue screened randomly, which deletes whatever character and universe I was using. The driver at fault is atikmdag.sys. Before the update, I had it going for 15 hours in a row with no issues. This seems to only happen when I host a server.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. Turtwig321

Turtwig321 Cosmic Narwhal

What is your Operating System? And yeah, if your computer bluescreens from anything, even not StarBound related, it will corrupt your saves.

3. Sax von Saxon

Windows 7 Ultimate.

4. Wildclaws

Wildclaws Aquatic Astronaut

I'm also getting blue screen from starbound. My OS is also Windows 7 Ultimate.

5. Leningard

Leningard Void-Bound Voyager

If anyone finds a solution to this, that'd be amazing. Ever since the last update, I can't even open chrome without bluescreening. My computer is perfectly capable of multitasking, but I just had to do a system restore because it corrupted my system files. >_> If anyone's got a solution, I'd extremely appreciate it. Also running Win 7 Ultimate...

6. -210

-210 Intergalactic Tourist

same thing happen to me.
    OS is Windows 7 Home Editions.
    My PC is very old , particularly HDD is almost dead.
    It's happened when I try to quit game in own Space Ship.
    Normaly , Main menu must be appeared. But It's not and Microsoft Blue lighting weapon try to kill my eyes.
    I know this kind of games forced to HDD over work. CTD , BlueScreen , I can accept it.
    But erasing my game data. I don't like it.
    Would you please do something.

7. Turtwig321

Um, what?

8. Sax von Saxon

This is still happening. If Starbound is running and you get any kind of windows error, the save you were on gets completely wiped. This is the most game breaking bug I've ever encountered.

9. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

Starbound has nothing to do with bluescreens.

On top of that, this is in no way a "bug" in Starbound.

If I chainsaw your legs off, you won't be able to walk. In the same way, if you chainsaw the OS out from under Starbound, it has no control over the consequences.

10. AnaLei

AnaLei Space Hobo

This mean if you were playing 20 days and suddenly your pc restart due to a windows error then you lost all your 20 days work??????.... How is this NOT a Starbound bug????

LUKKAZX likes this.
  11. RvLesh

Not necessarily. It depends on when the restart occurs.

This isn't a Starbound bug because Starbound had *NOTHING* to do with the restart. The devs could spend years foolproofing every part of the Save code, and it would in absolutely no way provide any guarantee against data loss when your computer dies randomly.

For all anyone knows, Starbound wrote the save file properly, your HDD cached the write, and then your computer died before the HDD physically wrote the data to the platters.

There are $30k industrial databases that don't even offer that kind of guarantee.

12. Turtwig321

I have never lost data from a bluescreen. ANY. Even if I was playing a game, I would only lose a sliver of progress. I have a computer with Starbound on it running Windows 8.1 and I forced it to BSoD 6 times. Starbound is fine. It might be an OS specific wipe. Save directory maybe?

RvLesh likes this.
  13. Sax von Saxon

That analogy was incredibly juvenile. The issue is the saved games are stored in a single temporary file, which gets killed if you crash. This is the only game I've played in the last 15 years that does this. It's entirely their fault.

Turtwig321 likes this.
  14. RvLesh

This is absolutely not the case. It fails if your system dies during a write.

15. this thread is full of non-sense...

16. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

But what are the chances that multiple people's PCs running the same OS will fail mid-write while playing the same game and *not* be somehow related?

17. RvLesh

They're all related. They've all been unexpected restarts. When your computer unexpectedly restarts, none of the cached writes are flushed to disk, which means you lose all data that has not been physically written to the drive.

Don't like it? Disable HDD caching. Of course, that only affects the OS caching, not the cache on the drive, which is also lost on a power failure.

18. Pentarctagon

Yes, but if the data was simply not written it would not result in lost save files, just a bit of lost progress. Even if the file was in the HD cache/memory and not written yet, the previous save file is still on the HD.

19. RvLesh

The problem is that you can't say, for certain, the state of the write, the state of the cache, or the state of the filesystem. If the MFT entry was damaged, or the MFT write was flushed before the data, the file may have been written properly, but the fs may be reading the wrong blocks.

20. Pentarctagon

And given that such an error is occurring multiple times across multiple users all on the same operating system all while playing the same game, you don't think there's the slightest chance of something potentially problematic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.