1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED bk3k's Side ActionBar (10 bar version) 1.0

For those who like a little action on the side

1. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

2. Zlyvr

Zlyvr Phantasmal Quasar

I can't select slots 7-10 by pressing keys "7" etc - it's just me?
    I bound those keys in controls, but still can't use them :(

3. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

See the bottom of the description... which I put in bold and highlighted? :p

4. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

I've been playing with your inventory and action bar mods lately and they work really well. The inventory mod seems like it adds about as much space as you'd ever really need, and its sorting ability is far superior than anything found in vanilla starbound. In fact, having the vanilla amount of space with the additional tabs and optimal sorting would have been more then amazing in itself. I would be willing to start a new character for an even bigger set of action bars though. Having plenty of combinations to switch around with easily makes the gameplay much more versatile and fun.

5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Glad you like it.

Now I'll also reply to your review here, because it makes more sense. I could make larger bars, yes. But a few considerations.

1. I'm not sure where to stop because I have a 4 : 3 monitor and most have 16 : 9. Thus I have a relatively taller display. Guess I could do a little math to figure it out.

2. Go too tall, and I'll interfere with the party interface for the multiplayer people. From what I understand, multiplayer with mods is hassle enough to manage. I could move the bar to the right side instead if I wanted a little more room. The elements on the top right can be shuffled around, possibly including putting them side-by-side if need be (and that probably isn't necessary). What I can't do is actually move them generally from the top-right altogether. That particular anchoring seems hard-coded.

3. The other option for expansion is basically "gluing" another action bar set together side-by-side. I don't think it is going to look nearly so good, and would be more cumbersome(no more so than vanilla). It is easier to go REALLY BIG on the vanilla bar than with the style I made.

But bigger than the 10 bars? Yeah I can do that. 12 would be double the vanilla count. I went with 10 thinking(incorrectly) that the hotkeys could work... but it is more hard-coded goodness. Had I known, I would have skipped 10 and went straight to 12.

...before posting this I figured out the answer. Did the math for 16.9 compared to my own. 14 pairs(28 slots) fit and leaving the room for a single party member.

A crazy idea might be putting action bars on both sides. But the big hangup is that you need one big image(the center is blank) and that means your image has to match the resolution used. The offsets for the right-side buttons would also be re-calculated for every resolution. In turn that means a different version of the mod for every supported resolution! So that's an idea never getting off the drawing board.

6. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

I see. That makes sense. If you do make a super long version it would still be playable for everyone. They would just have to toggle out of fullscreen and stretch out the windowed mode until it fits comfortably. Having the mod that allows additional zoom levels helps a lot with playing in a windowed mode like that. I'm usually doing other things on my computer while playing, so I end up playing like that anyways.

Regardless, this 10 tow version turned out to be really essential. It would be nice if chucklefish fixed the keybindings and implemented something like this for the vanilla game. I think every player would appreciate that.

7. enderlordmc

enderlordmc Big Damn Hero

the sidebar will go to MM modes halfway into it, this is expected vanilla behavior but the new UI looks like it should go to MM modes when you go to the outer rims of it. (simple fix, swap the locations of sets 1-5 and sets 6-10)
    pardon my terrible formatting. this post was written as I'm about to go to bed.

8. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I don't experience this problem. First time I'm hearing about this, and I indeed use this mod myself so...

Do you have any other action bar mods installed? Possibly including my other sidebar mod? Delete any such mods - including this one - and reinstall this mod fresh.

9. enderlordmc

it's not so much a glitch as a missed thing, this is expected vanilla behavior (as the MM is in the middle of the hotbar) but this new sidebar has the MM on top

10. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

That's what I'm telling you... I didn't miss it.

I use my own mod, and it behaves correctly for me. Besides my own personal use, this mod has 144 downloads from here and 117 subs on the workshop at the point I write this. That's not a terribly high count, but high enough that any such problems inherent in this mod would have been noticed before now. No one else has reported what you speak of, and I released this over 2 months ago.

So you do have an issue going on. An issue specific to your installation of Starbound with respect to your mod situation. I'd have to say it is not unlikely you are using another mod that is messing with this (and you may not realize it). If that isn't the case, then your local copy of this mod became corrupted/got edited somehow. Maybe the 'Y' coordinate on the MM button is set for the wrong number - which could happen if it got edited.

Don't get the wrong idea. I'm very much interested in finding your problem though and helping to correct it. So please follow these instructions to help me, help you.

1. Exit Starbound of course.
    2. Remove this mod completely. Likewise make sure you don't have the other version of this mod(vanilla sized) installed as well. Check \starbound\mods\ - and if you use the workshop make sure you aren't subscribed to either version there.
    3. Reinstall THIS mod fresh. Re-download it even if you had a downloaded copy already. For this sort of mod, I'd more highly recommend the manual \starbound\mods\ installation over the workshop since Steam can occasionally forgo loading mods under some conditions.

4. Load Starbound and see if this issue persists. If it does, obviously you'd eyeball any mods that might mess with the bars in any way. Also any other UI mods in general.
    5. Before removing other mods to see, please attach a copy of your \starbound\storage\starbound.log file. Or better yet post the contents within spoiler and code tags. Either way because I want to see any errors/messages you may have as well as the total list of mods you are using so I can investigate further.

So while I do insist this mod doesn't have any faults (beyond the hotkeys for 7+ not working which I currently can't fix :( ), that doesn't necessarily mean I can't "fix" problems incidentally caused by other mods in combination with this. But I'd first need to track down WHY it happens. And I may not need to do that at all if simply removing and fresh re-installing this mod helps.

Please let me know what happens either way.

11. enderlordmc

no (hotbar specific) errors on startup. weird personal tech issues are kinda one of my curses though.
    EDIT: also, tried reinstalling and it did not fix the issue. the log is from after the re-install

Attached Files:

12. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I realized I might know what you're talking about instead of what I thought you where saying.

If you're talking about the scroll wheel going to the essential slots(MM etc), and then back to where it was after... that's terribly hard-coded vanilla stuff it seems. There doesn't seem to be any way to affect the order the scroll wheel selects things. One would think if they aren't giving control over that, then it could automatically follow the order of the config file etc. But it doesn't do that.

Now what I THOUGHT you where saying is the MM icon itself was half-way into it. That certainly shouldn't be the case.

13. enderlordmc

would it be that hard to swap 1-5 and 6-10 on the bar cosmetically since hotkeys are f**ked anyway

14. Protopopov

Protopopov Big Damn Hero

Is it possible to add "quick access" to the menu bars through by, for example, pressing F1-F4, etc.?
    If not directly, then through the "fast and imperceptible" scrolling the necessary number of bars by generated "x-key" strokes.. (translated by Google)

15. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Starbound doesn't have any means to tie new behaviors like that to hotkeys. Even the hotkeys past 6 don't have any effect, because the devs handled this through hard coding so it only supports the vanilla setup properly.