Biological/Cybernetic Body Modifcation

Discussion in 'Other' started by Mailboxhead, Mar 31, 2013.

?

What are your thoughts on this suggestion?

1. I want to see this implemented.

127 vote(s)
    93.4%
  2. This should not be implemented.

9 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. Mailboxhead

Mailboxhead Master Astronaut

Biological Mutation
    Cybernetic Modification

This was an idea I thought of while reading and discussing some of the other suggestion's I had read here in the forums. I would like to see bodily modification, a kind of "Futuristic Tattoo." Through either research or exploration, the player would find ways to change their body to a further extent than what the basic character generator allows. This would allow a player's appearance to develop further the more they play.

Special notes:
    • Modifications are purely for appearance. They offer no benefits or hindrances and serve only to allow the player to make a more unique character as they play.
    • Body-mods are not items. They cannot be dropped and will still show when the player has removed all clothing.
    • Mods can be biological or cybernetic. Organic races can have cyborg-like mods, but the Glitch will have more mechanical-looking variants of the biological ones.
    • Mods can be added and removed easily for a small sum of cash.
    • I understand the devs already have a lot on their plate to deal with. If included in the game, it would probably be a post-release update.
    These modifications could be applied and removed by a specialized NPC that can be found on inhabited planets, or recruited to work aboard the player's ship. He/She would have a few options available from the start, but more Blueprints and DNA-Maps could be found through rare drops and loot chests, possibly even through analyzing or logging local flora/fauna. Experienced players could be identified by the quantity and rarity of their mods.

This same NPC could be used to change other aspects of the character already implemented, like skin tone and hair color.

These modifications could be race-specific at first like the armors, but other races' mods could eventually be unlocked. A few ideas that have already been suggested:

• Basic robotic limbs or body paint for all races
    • High-tech cybernetics for the Apex
    • Rusted parts for the Glitch
    • Roots, twigs and flowers for the Florans
    • Coral, algae and seaweed for the Hylotl
    • Piercings and jewelry for the Avians
    Of course, there could be completely miscellaneous mods as well. How about some Cat ears for the happy Nekos out there, or some ram or bull horns? Truth be told, I got this idea from a Neko race suggestion thread, which to me seemed completely unnecessary since a character like that would simply be a human with some extra parts attached.

Images
    [​IMG]
    An awesome animation here showing off possible algae, flowers, twigs and rust.
    By Illmad

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Cyborg limb concepts. I like the idea of the Floran parts being made of wood.
    By Illmad

Please:
    Feel free to suggest ideas or concerns! Also, special thanks to anyone who contributes with some artwork! You guys rock!

ALSO:
    We will be needing ideas for how this could work with the Novakid. Any and all ideas would be appreciated

2. Caradon

Caradon Orbital Explorer

I like this suggestion, but it should be something reserved for future updates, not something upon launch.

bgman24 likes this.
  3. Mailboxhead

One of the suggestions that gave me this idea was the Neko race. I figured this modification system would be a good alternative to those players who wanted neko characters, while the devs wouldn't have to make up an outrageous amount of lore for them. It wouldn't be hard to add cat ears or a cat tail this way.

Although... the thought of a Neko-Floran almost gives me nightmares.

4. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

I like this idea, draconic horns fo sho!

5. Mailboxhead

I really only said that because I couldn't think of any other organic mods besides cat ears. :p

6. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

I approve of cat ears too...

7. Mailboxhead

I just thought it would've made the suggestion sound silly rather than serious.

8. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Not really, that's the kinda stuff I would kill to see in the game haha

9. Mailboxhead

And really, if technology like this was available now in real life, there would be tons of people running around with this sort of stuff.

Dat Critter likes this.
  10. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Yeah, I'd be one of them.

11. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

Why would you bring those profile pictures here too?
    Anyway, focusing on the matter at hand. I think it'd be a cool little side thing to have in the game, I haven't played any games where it was implemented though. There was a mod for Fallout: NV called Project Nevada which had a cybernetic add-on and it was pretty cool, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it wasn't in the game. Right now I feel like it would be a post-release thing

12. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

Once again, sounds cool on paper, but is unnecessary and hard to implement.

You want to be tougher? Get an armor. You want to deal more damage? Get another gun/sword/dildo or whatever.
    This would also be really hard (compared to its usefulness, which is zero) to put in the game! You can't just go and pick something "cool" or "awesome" in other games and copy-pase it into Starbound.

13. Mailboxhead

I did say this was just for aesthetic purposes, so I'm not entirely sure why you're bringing armor and weapons into this.

It wouldn't really be hard to implement though, just apply a new sprite over the basic character sprite. And so what if it isn't useful? Hats in Team Fortress 2 serve no purpose, but they're still fun to collect.

At no point did I base this off of another game. There is no copy-pasting occurring here.

14. Vanguard

Vanguard Space Spelunker

If they had bonuses, sure.

15. Filipfonky

It's just what I always say to every augmentation-related thread.
    Hats on TF2 do have a purpose: they make your e-penis seem bigger, and overall make the players look different. They also help for snipers if they have a nice target Unusual effect on them.

I mean that it's out of place.

16. Mailboxhead

So this is just a blanket statement you use regardless of what the actual suggestion says? ...That's not a very good thing to do, mate.
    Well, it's entirely the player's choice to use them. As for their ego, the same thing would happen when they find a super rare, awesome weapon or armor piece.
    And now you've contradicted yourself. Want a starburst?

Milly Rainbowskittlez likes this.
  17. Filipfonky

Watch out which words you use!
    Well, it's entirely the player's choice to use them. As for their ego, the same thing would happen when they find a super rare, awesome weapon or armor piece.
    Fair enough.
    "You can't just go and put things in a game that don't belong to it!"
    "Those things are out of place for this game"

Where's the contradiction? Also what's a starburst?

18. Luci

Luci Subatomic Cosmonaut

Then according to this logic, hair styles, the ability to paint, name your items are also unnecessary. Character customization? Pfff, not needed. :wut:

Milly Rainbowskittlez likes this.
  19. Mailboxhead

You know, urban dictionary isn't the most reliable source, and I didn't find a definition that makes "blanket statement" any less adequate a word to use.
    Those are not at all the words that you used. Also, it's hard to say what is and isn't out of place for a game that hasn't even been released yet. Ultimately that's up to the devs to decide anyway.
    IT'S A JUICY CONTRADICTION! :rofl:

Qndrez and Milly Rainbowskittlez like this.
  20. Filipfonky

Your sense-making skills aren't making any sense.
    Which words did I use?