RELEASED Bigger Draft Horse Model (Clydesdale skin)

Discussion in 'Pets/Horses' started by Kitana Coldfire, Apr 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kitana Coldfire

Kitana Coldfire Void-Bound Voyager

Hello everyone~ I've lurked around the forum for quite some time, but this is my first time posting here (so apologies if I break anything)

I got irritated at how small the horse looked, despite the fact the mod I was using (Zhuria's) was supposed to make it look like a big Clydesdale. So after a few days of tweaking, I think I've finally made a more proportional body model to give draft breeds a better distinction (and slightly more accurate proportions) over their standard-template cousins.

In short, I turned this:

[​IMG]

into this:
    Horseadjusted.png

[link if the picture doesn't show up]

Features:
    - Taller than vanilla horse template
    - Longer legs
    - An actual neck
    - Stockier body
    - Re-done hoof size to better illustrate fetlocks

I've tested it a fair amount, but if you find any issues please let me know and I'll see if I can fix them.

You're free to further modify it as you see fit (changing the colors, use the model as a template, etc.), although please credit me if you repost it or post mods using it as a template anywhere else.

Please note, however, that this new model takes up a lot more space in the sprite box, so you'll probably have to adjust the body proportions significantly if you want to accommodate a longer tail.

Download can be found here (via google drive)
    Original sprite I used as a base belongs to Zhuria

• zyymurgy

zyymurgy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I always did think the horse looked more like a pony. This is great! :D

• Spudli

Spudli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

could you do a version of Zhuria's shire horse? :love:

• Kitana Coldfire

Sorry, I'm not looking to start a re-skin thread. But anyone has permission to use my model as a base if they want to customize it.

• Vixxi

Vixxi Aquatic Astronaut

"An actual neck"

HAHAHAHA, yeah, that definitely bugged me about the vanilla horses.

Great job on these! Clydesdale's are huge! I wish there was more pixel room. It's also frustrating to get the farmer to sit right on any mount besides the vanilla horse.

zcsnightmare likes this.
            • Kitana Coldfire

Oh thank gods someone else has issues with the neck it's not just me ;w; Oh goodness, now I've got the urge to over-share about building the horse.

I think it's the lack of neck that bugs me the most about the vanilla horse more than anything, but I didn't realize it until about the 3rd or 4th build. In the first build of my model, all I altered was the hoof size (by outlining around the vanilla hooves) and moving the head up and over 1 pixel to the right (which required adding a pixel to the sprite sheet's length). I thought it looked great... until I tested it and it became a glitchy, horrifying mess.

Turns out, the vanilla horse's head edges RIGHT AGAINST the edge of the sprite box, so I had to move the body over to the left to compensate. But the more I tested it, the more I kept thinking "The farmer is still taller than the horse. This is not right'. Before I knew it, I had completely redrawn the legs, and the horse's head was almost to the top of the sprite box. If I had more sprite box to work with, I could make a draft horse model that truly towers over the farmer, but just having both models be about the same height is good enough for me.

I have toyed with the idea of altering the model to provide for a more 'hot blood' look (slightly shorter height, adjustments to the legs+hooves because of the lack of fetlocks, possibly able to accommodate a slightly longer tail), but I don't know if there's enough demand for a complete standard horse base overhaul. The longer tail would be a huge pain alone, plus Zhuria has done such a great job with re-skinning the current vanilla horse with a bunch of different color options.

tl;dr I've spent way too much time obsessing over the proportions of a pixelated horse

• dintern

dintern Astral Cartographer

Do you know what the original pixel constraints are for the horse? Did you have to increase the pixel area to be able to make this mod?

Kitana Coldfire likes this.
                • tiffy961

tiffy961 Pangalactic Porcupine

This is sooo much better. Thanks for that.
                  Now the only thing that is still a bit off is that stupid tail.

Kitana Coldfire likes this.
                  • Kitana Coldfire

No, I worked within the existing horse pixel area, which seems to be 32x32. Going outside those borders causes the pixel to glitch out into other frames of the animation; if I COULD have increased the borders, I would have added a longer tail

Yeeeeaaaah. The tail. If I just had, like, 8 more pixels to work with on the back end! But neck took precedence over tail, so it is what it is, unfortunately.

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

If you had used Agro or Spirit as the base I'd be stealing this right away, those are my favorite horse colors and Agro is the one I have in my game right now. I might still download this version anyways just 'cause of the anatomy.

Too bad it still has a pony tail though, that tail could use some fluff :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
                      • interface5

interface5 Aquatic Astronaut