1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated BetterMerchants 0.09a (Enraged Koala)

Improving your shopping experience, one shop at a time.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Darn. Okay. I'm unsure whether it's really that important for a whole update, but I'll think on it. Maybe wait for another bug to pop up. Or suggestion.

2. Mackinz

Okay, so I've been thinking about what I want the next update to be about. 0.08 won't be a major update compared to 0.07, but it will have some additions, like a new crafting table for spawners. Anyone have suggestions or ideas for the next update?

3. Star-X

Star-X Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You may have to update sooner than later. Enraged Koala asplodes upon trying to load this mod, even with the modinfo file edited to point towards Enraged Koala.

At least, I think it's your mod. Certainly, the sheer number of errors in the log file for stuff included here indicates it's your mod. I'll be seeing if disabling it fixes it.

EDIT: Nope, something else is going horribly wrong. Your mod ain't the cause. Still weird that it's spitting out an absolutely astounding number of errors like this:
    Error: Error loading object file /objects/apex/bigredbutton/bigredbutton.object: VariantException: No such key in Variant::get("objectName")
    0084DEDC starbound_opengl.exe
    00A956C3 starbound_opengl.exe
    0084DFEB starbound_opengl.exe
    00615704 starbound_opengl.exe
    0050279E starbound_opengl.exe
    00404B8C starbound_opengl.exe
    009A2C5C starbound_opengl.exe
    7549336A kernel32.dll
    774C9F72 ntdll.dll
    774C9F45 ntdll.dll

And so on and so forth. Like over 100 in the log file each crash.

4. Mackinz

It is issues like that which discourage me from updating immediately after a patch release... Aside from my 7am-10pm schedule on Tuesdays, anyway. Lol

I believe bartwe and the rest are working on another patch. I'll update my mod with Enraged Koala compatibility with version 0.08, where I've done some changing.

5. Star-X

Actually, did some further testing. Most of your mod works fine, but for whatever reason the Eremologist (sp?) and the fuel refinery are glitched; according to the log it says it can't find them in the pak file, despite said pak file having them for sure (successfully unpacked the pak and found that they ARE indeed in that folder). The game loads fine, other than those two items appearing Perfectly Generic :/ I need to do further testing of all my mods, but it seems that it was the persistent farmables mod that were causing the crashes, not yours.

Looking forward to full compatibility with Enraged Koala.

EDIT: About further additions, I'd love to see the various subtypes of merchants split into their own spawners. Mostly because having it be randomly generated at spawn means that if it's not the type you want, you have to kill em to make room for the RIGHT one. That or have a room full of carpenters...

6. Mackinz

Okay, will look into it.

The problem with individual spawners for every merchant type... well, is that means individual spawners for each merchant type.

There are a lot of NPCs currently. Provided the current implementation, that list is reduced to about half-ish. But if every merchant got its own spawner, that means a lot of clutter in the /objects/spawner/spawners/ folder, and a lot of clutter in the crafting window. Add onto it any new merchants... It also affects my planned methods for learning the crafting recipes for the spawners.... I don't want all that clutter.

I'll try thinking of something. But it won't be added for a while, so grab a sword.

7. Vegetable Lamb

Vegetable Lamb Existential Complex

Got errors in the log:

Error: Could not load /objects/spawner/spawners/bm_spawner_eremologist.object asset, attempting to use default.
    AssetException: Could not read variant asset /objects/spawner/spawners/bm_spawner_eremologist.object
    caused by: AssetBackendException: Requested file '/objects/spawner/spawners/bm_spawner_eremologist.object' does not exist in database, was likely skipped during pak creation. (Check server skip list).
    006DEB45 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarAssetsBackend.hpp:12)
    ... (2)
    00530D5C (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:41)
    00526A9F (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarAssets.cpp:1003)
    ... (3)
    00532D81 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarAssets.cpp:723)
    009A64FC (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
    755E336A kernel32.dll
    77639F72 ntdll.dll
    77639F45 ntdll.dll

Error: Could not load /objects/spawner/spawners/bm_spawner_floransouschef.png asset, attempting to use default.
    AssetBackendException: Requested file '/objects/spawner/spawners/bm_spawner_floransouschef.png' does not exist in database, was likely skipped during pak creation. (Check server skip list).
    006DEB45 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarAssetsBackend.hpp:12)
    006DE270 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarAssetsDatabaseBackend.cpp:98)
    00530FB4 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarAssets.cpp:877)
    00526A9F (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarAssets.cpp:1003)
    ... (6)
    0053232C (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarAssets.cpp:688)
    0055AF34 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarImageMetadataDatabase.cpp:145)
    0061234C (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarObjectDatabase.cpp:177)
    006166D8 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarObjectDatabase.cpp:365)
    ... (2)
    00504DAE (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:198)
    00404B3C (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:324)
    009A64FC (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
    755E336A kernel32.dll
    77639F72 ntdll.dll
    77639F45 ntdll.dll

8. Mackinz

Okay, will look into as soon as I find some time to sit down and update and repeatedly test my mod. I've had no time so far. :p

9. Star-X

I do have some ideas for how to fix that. I remember you did mention you wanted to make a special crafting table for NPCs. Why not ask the Okea mod's author on how he made that fantastic UI and make a UI that lets you pick NPCs from a filter, perhaps even with race and gender modifiers? Obviously it'd still be a little bit complex to set up, but it would make it 1000 times easier to find the NPC you want, with the race and gender you want, and would also drastically reduce clutter.

Also, not necessarily a request to you, but I'd love to see coding in place for Starbound mods to allow for unofficial plugins to mods, such as custom race NPC plugins for BetterMerchants, custom furniture plugins for Okea, and other such things. It would make it a LOT easier to make additions to existing mods...

10. Mackinz

I'll look into it. I'd like to incorporate a progression system into it at the same time, so I'll keep that in mind.

Still, keep your sword out.

Well... there kinda is. That is what "Dependencies" in the modinfo file is for, and mods like Variety is the Spice of the Universe have compatibility "patches" which might as well be called compatibility plug-ins.

11. Star-X

OK, something interesting: running the mod outside of its .pak file instantly fixes all errors. That is to say, I unpacked it and plopped in the modinfo file, and redirected the thing from the .pak file to the directory, and whatd'ya know, it worked perfectly, not a single error.

I'm guessing something in Enraged Koala hates whatever method you used to pack your files' guts, so for anyone who wants to continue using this excellent mod: unpack it, copy the modinfo file to the unpacked directory, edit said modinfo file to change version to Enraged Koala, and point it to the directory "." instead of the .pak file.

12. Mackinz

That's an interesting observation.

However, I'd recommend not doing so. Due to recent changes with how objects are handled, objects from my mod currently spam the hell out of the log file, cluttering it up excessively.

If you are really interested in using my mod at the moment, feel free, but, otherwise, I'd recommend waiting. I'm gonna work on it tonight because I got my Calc homework and test done.

13. Rashen

Rashen Subatomic Cosmonaut

@Mackinz

I have yet to play this mod due to this reason: Does this modify existing npc merchants in the game, Or ONLY the ones you spawn using the items added in the mod? Spawning npcs manually just kills the immersion for me, If it does spawn them "naturally" in the "wild"(villages and sorts) then you can expect a great rating and some good feedback.

14. Mackinz

At the moment, all it does is add new merchants through spawners. It will, soon, edit existing merchants. In the future, it will have them spawn "naturally" as well... But not for a while as I need to figure out structure generation stuff, as well as find time to do so.

The mod is currently in early development (0.07) for good reason.

Rashen likes this.
  15. Rashen

Rashen Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks for the reply! I understand completely, most mods should still be in beta because I don't understand how one could possibly release a mod that is for a game that is still in alpha/beta, I am sure the coding structure for npc villages are quite strange since they haven't been done like this before on a scale this large.

16. Mackinz

Well, editing existing merchants does not require editing villages, only the npctype files, but yeah, it's a big project.

As for other mods, they come out of "beta" because they've developed most of the content and systems they wanted to. I haven't. Won't for a while.

17. Mackinz

Mackinz updated BetterMerchants with a new update entry:

0.08 - The Balancing Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

18. joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

Getting errors with the update, something about bamboo shoots...

19. Mackinz

Can I see the text of your starbound.log?

I wasn't getting any errors before I packed up the update...

20. Boogy

Boogy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There seems to be an error with 'avian quartermaster spawner'. Animation isn't displayed for it and when you hold it - object is transparent and fps drops to 5, it also can't be placed.

Mackinz likes this.