1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Better Steel Recipe (Glad Giraffe) 1.3

Make Steel Bar recipe more realistic.

1. rawkinrex

rawkinrex Phantasmal Quasar

rawkinrex submitted a new mod:

Better Steel Recipe - Make Steel Bar recipe more realistic.

Read more about this mod...

2. rawkinrex

3. rawkinrex

4. blarging2000s

blarging2000s Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Funny story. At it's simplest steel is defined as "iron mixed with other elements into an alloy". Copper is found in some kinds of steel and as for the carbon content it's around .002-2.1% of the weight. With Starbound lacking any of the common metals that are mixed with iron for steel the Starbound team picked copper since, "hey what else are you doing with it?" and coal is also used for torches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel

If you prefer the iron + coal recipe than you do that.

5. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

I would rather it be back to requiring oil. Oil has nearly no use now :c

The main issue i have with this is that they picked copper again, but then gave copper a ton of furniture uses. =w= They sure thought that one through didnt they~

6. blarging2000s

True. Have you tried buying copper at the outpost? Last I checked it was very cheap for copper.

More uses for oil would be nice. Plasics maybe?

Milly Rainbowskittlez likes this.
  7. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

I dont really like buying copper when i can be saving my pix for teleporters, weapon upgrades from random higher level villages, and lets not even talk about pixel printer. Honestly i can barely stay above 3k, and dont like staying that high since i tend to die from random shenanigans.

8. blarging2000s

A good way to store money is in the form of stacking things you can sell. Feather food has a good sell value and is easy to farm. I'll have upwards 25500 pixels worth stored as feather food at times. Selling that at the usual 20% gets me 5100 pixels and they are also save from death losses.

9. stephanreiken

stephanreiken Pangalactic Porcupine

I wanted to comment on Bob's review of this mod. That is how Alloys work. Bronze is made from two weaker metals that made a metal which for a time was weaponized.

Steel is an alloy of Iron and Carbon making the iron much stronger. Different types of Steel are different quantities of material in the metal, different amounts of carbon or other metals added to the Iron. Stainless steel has a bunch of Chromium added to it.

What I'm confused about is when vannila Starbound 'had' Copper + Iron = Steel :p

10. TempTemp

TempTemp Star Wrangler

Just wondering why you changed it from 1 coal to 2 coal? Also it should be noted that in the earlier versions of the game steel did indeed use coal. It was changed to oil sometime later, and finally copper.

If I recall right coal is only used for torchs in the base game (I use a few mods such as FU which greatly change crafting). After you get the Xenon lightpack, there is little to no need to coal at all. Copper still gets a minor use in crafting a few items as said above. Regardless Iron is always the limiting faction in Steel since it is much rarer and has many uses.

11. rawkinrex